• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sharpeneddark

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    Westminster
    Hello all,

I have a MD compliant X95 and it has to keep that 29" OAL...so instead of having a silly muzzle brake, I am thinking about getting the barrel chopped and having a suppressor permanently mounted to it. The question is...what suppressor would work well for the X95? Should I get a .30 cal can to make sure it doesn't overpressurize? Or is that usually not a problem on the platform?

Thanks

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    AAC 762-SDN-6 is a really good 30 cal can. It has a 51T ratchet muzzle break. Sure you could get that welded on but would be a waste of a 30 cal can you could mount on other guns. Thing is if you permanently mount an suppressor and you damage it (i.e. baffle strike) then you have to send the entire gun and can to the manufacturer to get it fixed. Just some food for thought.

But it us a good sturdy reliable can.

Dave

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Permanently mounting a can on it is a $$ way to go. How long is it if you were to permanently mount the QD mount on it for can X? That may get you to the required length, not look as silly at other options, and save you the can price. Also, if you ever go to sell it unless someone wants to pay for the can and tax stamp its a hard sell.

I know the Silencerco adapter adds a bit over 1.5in to the length for instance so gets a 14.5in AR barrel to legal if pinned correctly.

Sharpeneddark

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    Westminster
    Permanently mounting a can on it is a $$ way to go. How long is it if you were to permanently mount the QD mount on it for can X? That may get you to the required length, not look as silly at other options, and save you the can price. Also, if you ever go to sell it unless someone wants to pay for the can and tax stamp its a hard sell.

I know the Silencerco adapter adds a bit over 1.5in to the length for instance so gets a 14.5in AR barrel to legal if pinned correctly.

Permanently mounting a QD doesn't really change the length. The point of this would be to make the muzzle device a suppressor so that I can still hit 29" with it being suppressed. A QD means that the QD would be 29" and then the suppressor adds to that. I'm not worried about selling it. Losing it for a time for repairs is something I'm prepared to do.

I have to jump in completely and I want to make sure that, if I do it, I won't have problems cycling with a particular can. So I was hoping there were some Tavor owners that have it suppressed and know what works well.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I believe Griffin Armament and Thunder Beast both have budget friendly cans that are designed to be pinned, and can be disassembled from the front for repairs and cleaning. The Griffin can (GP5) is much lighter at 13oz but is likely going to have significant back pressure on a rifle that is known to gas people out with suppressed use. The Thunder Beast Takedown 5.56 was designed for the USSOCOM SURG competition and is supposedly pretty low on back pressure on an AR. Of the two I would be inclined to pick the Thunder Beast, but that thing is heavy. It's like 27 ounces, which is double the weight of the Griffin Can. So I guess pick your poison, but those two are probably the closest to what you're looking for. Both are about $500 + stamp and transfer fees if your local doesn't have them. I believe Silencershop stocks the Griffin can. Not sure about the TBAC can. Maybe contact both manufacters and see if they have done any testing on the tavors?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Getting the X95 platform to 29" OAL with a QD muzzle device would be de facto impossible. OP has the right idea here.

HOWEVER, to do this right, I would advise you to wait for the X95 SBR to be released. When combined with the non-NFA (extended) X95 buttpad and a perma-mounted suppressor, you should be able to hit 29" on a single stamp. If you perma-mount a suppressor to it, you will only need a single stamp (albeit your FFL will need to hold on to the X95 SBR, and then have it removed from the NFA registry when your suppressor stamp comes through and it gets perma-pinned).

The exact can doesn't matter much. For any extended shooting, you will need to have some kind of mitigation in place for gas blowback, which is severe on the Tavor and X95 guns.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    You are going to have lots of gas blowback in that platform with a can.

If you do this use a .308 can to mitigate the blowback.

CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    How about a permanent shroud like the tacsol barrels?
    I'm looking at doing that to a couple of mine. A can like my sdn762 isn't ideal here because you have to be able to screw it on/off.

Attachments

• 14756770480071081873191.jpeg
      14756770480071081873191.jpeg
      20.8 KB · Views: 1,430
    • sbx-1.jpg
      sbx-1.jpg
      8.9 KB · Views: 1,413
    • tsar-upper.jpg
      tsar-upper.jpg
      34 KB · Views: 1,475

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    If a barrel with a shroud is available for the tavor, that seems like a good option.

Sharpeneddark

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    Westminster
    How about a permanent shroud like the tacsol barrels?
    I'm looking at doing that to a couple of mine. A can like my sdn762 isn't ideal here because you have to be able to screw it on/off.

Well, that is neat. I'm assuming the shroud is welded to the barrel so that it counts for the barrel length but makes it so the suppressor can be detached as necessary.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Well, that is neat. I'm assuming the shroud is welded to the barrel so that it counts for the barrel length but makes it so the suppressor can be detached as necessary.

That's correct. It effectively is legally just a really long "permanently attached muzzle device" so it counts as part of barrel length and overall length. They're great for when you know you want to run suppressed but you want a short gun that isn't an SBR, or in the case of the Tavor, is still Maryland legal with the 29" rule.

Edit:

The trick, as has been mentioned, is that you have to use a can that is either direct thread mounted or uses something like the Dead Air or SilencerCo ASR system where you just screw the can on and you don't need access to the bottom of the can. It wouldn't work with something like a Rugged can, because you need to be able to twist the locking collar at the bottom of the can.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    How about suppressors with a removable monocore design? If there is a strike, then the serialized part can be removed and maintained and only the core needs replacing. This will also allow for cleaning when necessary.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    It's really wide, but the Q Trash Panda would otherwise work well with a shroud. Their QD mount (the "cherry bomb") accepts a socket wrench on the front as opposed to normal wrench flats on the rear, and the actual suppressor does too. I'm sure they are not the only ones who do that. Pretty sure the design intent there was to facilitate installation and removal under rails on an AR, which is sort of similar to what the OP would be doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom