• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Hers what I am looking for;

A single suppressor I can use for my 9 mm pistol hosts, a 9 mm ar pistol, a 300 blackout ar, my 556 ar’s.

If it were light enough to use on 22lr hosts all the better

I have a bunch of old 45acp pistols and I could get a threaded barrel for one of them but it’s not really what I am looking for but if it’s reasonable I am ok with that

I want it user friendly and fairly easy to clean and as quiet as possible

I want something rugged and by a company with good customer service if something goes wrong, like a baffle or end cap strike, and a company that will be around a long time

Sub $1800 with stamp but sub $1250 would be better cause I could get it a month sooner but if necessary more money could be gathered

I know this is a lot to ask but I am seriously asking for help from those with more experience at this than me and if this is too much to ask tell me what is possible for suppressing the above guns

Hopefully I haven’t asked for a unicorn

I haven't checked lately and it's a bit of a drive, but, Engage Armament was selling a bunch of cans, I think they were used? But, for the price range you were talking, you could probably get a separate can for each application and still be under your budget.

I pretty much have the same setup as mentioned. A .22 can, a TiRant .45 that I use on my 9mm and .45's and a YHM Phanton QD in .30 cal that gets used on my 5.56 and .300Blk guns.

I did buy a direct thread .30 that will go on, and stay on my AR-10 when I get time to get it sighted in.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I haven't checked lately and it's a bit of a drive, but, Engage Armament was selling a bunch of cans, I think they were used? But, for the price range you were talking, you could probably get a separate can for each application and still be under your budget.

I pretty much have the same setup as mentioned. A .22 can, a TiRant .45 that I use on my 9mm and .45's and a YHM Phanton QD in .30 cal that gets used on my 5.56 and .300Blk guns.

I did buy a direct thread .30 that will go on, and stay on my AR-10 when I get time to get it sighted in.

Suppressors Available:

Silencerco Osprey 9mm - $350 SOLD
    Surefire Socom 556 Monster - $450
    KAC Navy 1/2x32 Unfired - $800 SOLD
    AAC MG-SD 7.62/5.56 90T Unfired - $1000 (Perfect for any MGs) SOLD
    Silencerco Spectre II - $150 Unfired SPF
    Silencerco Warlock II - $125
    Silencerco Octane 45 - $350 SOLD
    Silencerco Harvester Unfired - $300
    Silencerco Osprey 9 Unfired? - $350
    Silencerco Osprey 45 Unfired - $400 SOLD
    Silencerco Osprey 40 Unfired - $350 SOLD
    Silencerco Specwar 556 - $350
    Silencerco Saker 556 - $350
    Silencerco Saker 762 Unfired? - $400 SOLD
    Silencerco Specwar 762 Unfired? - $400 SOLD
    Silencerco Octane 9HD - $350

I posted it, but I don't think it got picked up.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I agree with different cans for different purposes.

I ended up with a Gemtech for rimfire.

A ThunderBeast CB9 for my .308.

And a ThunderBeast CB5 for .300 BO/5.56

Still need to get a .45 pistol can, but looking at the Freedom Arms. The Devil told me to buy it. :D

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Thanks for the replies. I am trying to be as responsible as possible but you guys are gonna cause me to get half a dozen can, lol.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Thanks for the replies. I am trying to be as responsible as possible but you guys are gonna cause me to get half a dozen can, lol.
    Yeah, this is definitely an area where "one-and-done" is hard to pull off. For me, including the cans I have in NFA jail, it was:
    1. SiCo Sparrow (GemTech QDA) for 22lr rifles
    2. SiCo Octane 9 (3 lug) for 9mm rifles
    3. SiCo Hybrid (still deciding between ASR and KeyMo) for "real" rifles
    4. SiCo Salvo 12 for shotguns

I also have a beater Tac65 I use on direct thread 22s (mostly handguns). Didn't bother with a pistol suppressor, the trade-off on that platform doesn't appeal to me.

The two I will probably buy in the future:
    1. Dead Air Wolverine (wish they had a universal QD mount for this!) for my AKs
    2. SiCo Maxim 9 (whenever the 2nd gen comes out) as my "suppressed pistol"

dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas
    If I ain’t care full I will be waiting on 10 stamps cause that’s how I am, I know myself, I am a true right wing gun nut with a safe so full of stuff that some folks would say I am crazy, lol

You say that like it's a bad thing.

One more vote here for the 3 can route. I went with:

Silencerco Sparrow for rimfire
    Octane 45 for pistol
    Gemtech Sandstorm 30 cal for rifle

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD

I really suggest you get out and try them. What I "thought" about suppressors and what I actually found changed my mind a good bit. I found that a lot of guns throw gas back in your face and they are a whole lot less fun then they seemed. This problem is compounded because I like to shoot fast or with MGs. I ended up getting a few suppressors but also tried to limit how many I was buying as I don't know how much I will be really using them.

Here is what I ended up with:

Silencerco Spectre ii for 22LR. Seems to be one of the best overall cans. Some cans, like the sparrow with the mono core, give a first round pop. To me this makes no sense to have a loud first shot and I am not adding water to the can...etc. Sure its a little harder to clean but I think its the best overall.

Silencerco Osprey 9mm. I was not overly impressed with the 45ACP suppressors and don't shoot 40. So I decided to limit to 9mm. I HATE checking to see if the can is still tight constantly. With these offset suppressors, gravity should take care of it... plus its really easy to see. AAC also has their version but Silencero seems to be a better company, so I stuck with them.

Gemtech MK9K SMG 9mm. I found the Pistol Suppressors on a SMG just don't have the volume needed and a larger suppressor was necessary. I liked this can was short and fat and seems to get the job done well.

Silencerco Omega for 556 and 30 caliber. I started off thinking I wanted a Saker 556. However with a MG, I found that the smaller can shot to much gas back in my face. I have a Belt fed 556, so I decided an Omega was not much larger but was enough to help with the gas issue. Also it has a removable front so I can put a 555 front cap on it and help limit the noise even more. As a side benefit I can shoot 30 caliber... which I will probably never really do. This is the only suppressor I did the larger can for the smaller round... but it was not to save me from buying both... its solely performance related.

Some other things I found out from seeing them shoot. I HATE muzzle brakes. They seriously suck to be next to and I am not one that will complain about such things normally. However I refuse to put them on my gun. I wanted a QD Flash hider on any rifle can. I also found out I hate the three prong flash hiders like AAC (not Silencerco). They act like a tuning fork and "ting" every shot. Ting, ting, ting... very annoying to me and since I will probably shoot often without a suppressor... Silencerco makes their three prong uneven so you don't have this problem. I really like YHM's flash hiders but found their suppressor were maybe just a bit out done by Silencerco. I found that I have not been overly impressed with 45ACP and suppressors. I have seen a few. One was not good. So others were so-so... but found I could live with 9mm only for pistol caliber suppressor. I also found that I hate pistols without higher suppressor sights. I don't like "looking through" the can to aim my shots. Its annoying and so I adjusted the pistols I will suppressor accordingly and did not try and suppress everything. I found that a lot of guns are not worth converting to threaded barrels. So I am selling them and buying other versions that come with threaded barrels. Its cheaper to do like that. My Ruger MkII will get sold and a new MkIV is in the works. A new Ruger TD 10-22 will also be coming. Also consider the cost of any QD FHs/MBs... if you have 10 guns/uppers to suppress and the muzzle devices are $90 each... that $900 in Muzzle devices!

So I suggest you get with someone who owns what you are thinking about and be honest with yourself about what you find.

Or just keep saving and get a MG with the money! :)

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    OP, not sure where you're located but you're welcome to meet me at AGC sometime and try mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    OP, not sure where you're located but you're welcome to meet me at AGC sometime and try mine.

I am down in southern Maryland.

if the offer is still good come spring time I would love that, I am just jammed up busy for the next couple three months but after that I can get freed up even on a weekday if you would be available.

where is agc located?

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I really suggest you get out and try them. What I "thought" about suppressors and what I actually found changed my mind a good bit. I found that a lot of guns throw gas back in your face and they are a whole lot less fun then they seemed. This problem is compounded because I like to shoot fast or with MGs. I ended up getting a few suppressors but also tried to limit how many I was buying as I don't know how much I will be really using them.

. . . .

So I suggest you get with someone who owns what you are thinking about and be honest with yourself about what you find.
    These are great points. Not to give anyone any ideas, but being forced to shoot with a suppressor all the time would probably be about as annoying as the trouble one must go through to obtain them. I went on a bit of a ludicrous buying spree because the sales were really good, and because I got nervous MD would add them to the ban/grandfather list if HPA looked like it might pass.

While I did purchase two "general use" cans that will cover just about anything I want to occasionally suppress, the rest of the ones I bought have specific firearms that they will be on all the time. Based on my work experience using cans on M4s, maximum utility for semi or full auto generally requires adjustments and/or modifications to the host firearm. In the case of my YHM Turbo, I am building an AR upper completely around the can to ensure it is as reliable, as practical, and as safe as I can make it. And there's not much anyone can do about the fact that cans get HOT fast.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

if the offer is still good come spring time I would love that, I am just jammed up busy for the next couple three months but after that I can get freed up even on a weekday if you would be available.

where is agc located?

If this happens, I could be on hand with a few more cans to try. I'd have to be a guest, I'm not a member. I'll practice proper uncasing procedures.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    These are great points.....but being forced to shoot with a suppressor all the time would probably be about as annoying as the trouble one must go through to obtain them.....Based on my work experience using cans on M4s, maximum utility for semi or full auto generally requires adjustments and/or modifications to the host firearm. .... And there's not much anyone can do about the fact that cans get HOT fast.

Thanks. Yes, Suppressors are cool but I would not want to be forced to use them all the time. Yes I also agree on rifle calibers needing modification. I have been using Govnahs on my M16s and they seems to be awesome but I have only slightly tested them so far.
    http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/03/15/the-micromoa-govnah-adjustable-gas-block/
    That is very true on them getting hot. You better plan to stop shooting long before you leave!

I do see a lot of people buying suppressors that use them very little. Having some experience with them sure does show that there are downsides that most only figure out after they buy. Knowing what you are getting will certainly help you get what you will enjoy.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

where is agc located?

Springtime would be fine. Honestly don't think I could do a weekday until then anyways. Send me a message as we get closer to then.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    If this happens, I could be on hand with a few more cans to try. I'd have to be a guest, I'm not a member. I'll practice proper uncasing procedures.

Springtime would be fine. Honestly don't think I could do a weekday until then anyways. Send me a message as we get closer to then.

Weekday, weekend, whatever come springtime.

You guys are more than generous

I also , obviously, am not a member but I will gladly pay for all three of us

And yes indeed I will pm you when it get that time of the year and thank you very much, and maybe my rimfire can will be out of jail by then!

MDS is really a great place with great folks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom