• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seawolf823

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Dec 18, 2011
    Timonium
    Went to a local FFL the other day to do a transfer and the FFL insisted that when you purchase a handgun in MD that you cannot bring in a lock you have and that the lock you bought with the gun has to follow that gun. I also thought that only applied to new guns and not secondary sales (used guns). Does anyone know where I can find the law pertaining to this or any other dealers have any insight. Tried google but didn't find exactly what I was looking for. This is also why I don't do business with this FFL because they are arrogant unfriendly a$$holes.

seawolf823

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Dec 18, 2011
    Timonium
    They actually said a specific lock has to follow a specific gun?

Cuzz that's real retarded.

The way they said it was that the lock I had originally bought with a handgun had to stay with that gun and can't be used when purchasing another gun in that caliber.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    The answer is on the 77R that the dealer fills out. Any firearms made post 2002 require an Integrated Mechanical Safety Device (lock integrated by the manufacturer into the firearm or a MD approved lock). After the dealer answers for a post 2002 handgun, another set of options appears, one of which states lock supplied by the buyer. You could theoretically bought your lock anywhere, as long as it is MD approved. No where does it state that the Dealer must ascertain if it previously went with another gun.

seawolf823

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Dec 18, 2011
    Timonium
    The answer is on the 77R that the dealer fills out. Any firearms made post 2002 require an Integrated Mechanical Safety Device (lock integrated by the manufacturer into the firearm or a MD approved lock). After the dealer answers for a post 2002 handgun, another set of options appears, one of which states lock supplied by the buyer. You could theoretically bought your lock anywhere, as long as it is MD approved. No where does it state that the Dealer must ascertain if it previously went with another gun.

Exactly but according to them I cannot bring my own approved lock and that I must purchase one from them when purchasing a gun whether new or used.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Exactly but according to them I cannot bring my own approved lock and that I must purchase one from them when purchasing a gun whether new or used.

Some FFL's will do that. Out them, who was it?
    Any decent FFL will let you bring your own. The last transfer I did, I showed the dealer the gun tampon I brought with me, the dealer said great and handed me my firearm. This was last week.

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    Some FFL's will do that. Out them, who was it?
    Any decent FFL will let you bring your own. The last transfer I did, I showed the dealer the gun tampon I brought with me, the dealer said great and handed me my firearm. This was last week.

Agree. Bad business practices ought to be brought to light.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Fortunately for the OP, there are plenty of other FFL's around who are interested in selling guns, not locks. I wouldn't waste my time trying to educate or reason with the one in question.

I'm also hoping they get outted...just to know:innocent0

seawolf823

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Dec 18, 2011
    Timonium
    I actually don't purchase anything there I just met somebody there to do a transfer. I won't do business with a company that acts the way they do.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    And it's not like most dealers make all that much off the locks anyway. Most calibers wholesale from about 18 to 23 bucks and sell for 25 to 30...and sometimes you might have to pay for shipping as well.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    The Cop Shop. Another dealer who won't let you leave without purchasing a lock. I don't know from experience, just what I've heard.

He makes state and local cops get them. I don't think with an agency exemption for duty letter. Says Federal are exempt. I never needed a lock from there. I have also purchased from another cop place and they say that 1 borelock per each gun.

I know of no "civilian" gun shops who say this. They all have let me use my own locks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom