• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    FFL's can now print documents attached to a purchase and an updated status is now available.

Attachments

• msp-1.jpg
      msp-1.jpg
      47.7 KB · Views: 673
    • msp-2.jpg
      msp-2.jpg
      78.8 KB · Views: 667
    • msp3.jpg
      msp3.jpg
      17.6 KB · Views: 668

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    So, in the HPRB meeting, the MSP say they have no access or troopers with clearances. But the document above is marked "unclassified." So, why does it have such a marking?

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Presumably there are documents that MSP reserves for their own staff, rather than public dissemination. Not the same as real government clearance, just stuff to keep the citizenry in the dark.

w2kbr

MSI EM, NRA LM, SAF, AAFG
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 13, 2009
    Severn 21144
    OK..not to split hairs.........Nah...lets spit one for S&Gs

"FOUO" is the lowest classification I am aware of......but it is a classification, and therefore a paper stamped as such in not "UNCLASSIFIED".

Their stamp: "UNCLASSIFIED//For Official Use Only" is a conflict of terms; to wit it cannot be unclassified if you stamp it FOUO...

Moreover, at the bottom of the paper they state it is FOUO, (and therefore "classified"), and one is directed to MSP for any disclosures, or the information contained therein.......Would have been better to have only FOUO......or nothing if appropriate.

Sorry, too many years at No Such Agency...
    R

notfast

Sep 3, 2012
    Bel Air, MD
    I wonder if they updated the issue with the 30 day wait that I posted about prior. MSP called me day after I sent email, but didn't leave VM, call back or respond to my email.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County

"FOUO" is the lowest classification I am aware of......but it is a classification, and therefore a paper stamped as such in not "UNCLASSIFIED".

Their stamp: "UNCLASSIFIED//For Official Use Only" is a conflict of terms; to wit it cannot be unclassified if you stamp it FOUO...

Moreover, at the bottom of the paper they state it is FOUO, (and therefore "classified"), and one is directed to MSP for any disclosures, or the information contained therein.......Would have been better to have only FOUO......or nothing if appropriate.

R

"FOUO" is a handling caveat, not a classification.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    So, in the HPRB meeting, the MSP say they have no access or troopers with clearances. But the document above is marked "unclassified." So, why does it have such a marking?

That would be correct for federal clearances.

The marking on the document is internal to MSP and is in now way related to Federal security clearances or access to such, it is internal to MSP as to who may access to MSP specific documents.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊

The marking on the document is internal to MSP and is in now way related to Federal security clearances or access to such, it is internal to MSP as to who may access to MSP specific documents.

Also, the FOUO handling caveat differentiates that message from the UNCLASSIFIED/FOUO//LAW ENFORCEMENT SENSITIVE traffic.

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD

I know that is the case. Just pointing out to there is a whole other layer of bureaucracy yet to be explored at the MSP. So what is MSP "Classified?" Is there an SOP for that. It would be interesting to know what other terms are in conflict with different government agencies.

lonzo

Dec 8, 2015
    Moco
    I know that is the case. Just pointing out to there is a whole other layer of bureaucracy yet to be explored at the MSP. So what is MSP "Classified?" Is there an SOP for that. It would be interesting to know what other terms are in conflict with different government agencies.

yes there is a SOP, but all agencies uses the basics...law enforcement tends to "make up" their own handling markers but really, it comes down to classification of the document, that's the most important..tho some people like to over classified

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

R

No, FOUO is not a classification in accordance with US law. So it really is unclassified, but the agency would like to keep it close held.

The only classifications are Confidential, Secret, and Top Secret. Other levels are administrative controls to limit access. But are not really classifications.

You must have slept through your annual briefings. :)

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    points made...but....
    It appears it depends on what school one attended, and most importantly, who is paying one's salary...
    To wit:

http://www.dhra.mil/perserec/osg/s2unclas/fouo.htm

R

From your own link:

For Official Use Only (FOUO)

For Official Use Only (FOUO) is a document control designation, but not a classification. This designation is used by Department of Defense and a number of other federal agencies to identify information or material that, although unclassified, may not be appropriate for public release.

lonzo

Dec 8, 2015
    Moco
    No, FOUO is not a classification in accordance with US law. So it really is unclassified, but the agency would like to keep it close held.

The only classifications are Confidential, Secret, and Top Secret. Other levels are administrative controls to limit access. But are not really classifications.

You must have slept through your annual briefings. :)

you left out Unclass..IF you are going to list, list..

But you guys can argue, I do this for a living.. :cool:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    you left out Unclass..IF you are going to list, list..

But you guys can argue, I do this for a living.. :cool:

Unclass is not a classification. It is a lack of classification.

It is used to show that the document is not an unmarked class doc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom