• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • POP57

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2016
    Delaware
    I thought I would put this out there as an informational bulletin. Never know when some one might ask. I bought one of the newer Ruger SP101 .327 4" revolvers after they were introduced but could never find a proper holster for it. I tend to lean towards Fobus paddle holsters and they didn't offer one. As a matter of fact, it seemed that no one offered a holster for the 4" Ruger.
    I did some research on the webs, and decided to order the Fobus SW4 which is engineered for S&W L+K frames. It will also fit some Taurus models. It arrived and the pistol actually did fit, but there was a tiny bit of rattle. I had some cotton wick from a kerosene lantern lying around, so I cut a piece to length and placed it in the bottom trough of the holster. After that, the pistol was nice and snug. I tacked it with a bit of glue and it seems to be holding. Don't know if this will work for the 4" 22 or 357, but I suspect it might.

Attachments

• IMG_20160823_163053813.jpg
      IMG_20160823_163053813.jpg
      78 KB · Views: 266
    • IMG_20160823_163115144.jpg
      IMG_20160823_163115144.jpg
      67.6 KB · Views: 316
    • IMG_20160823_162912098.jpg
      IMG_20160823_162912098.jpg
      59.5 KB · Views: 261

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I've got a couple Fobus holsters, and I just purchased another today, to do some testing. Check out their 'universal' holsters for semi autos.

Authentic Fobus holsters are decent, inexpensive holsters, most of them (like yours looks good), but some are real garbage.

That's an inexpensive and innovative solution, it just makes me nervous to modify a holster by adding anything inside the trigger guard; especially considering this is like the #1 issue with negligent discharges (inadvertently getting something into the trigger while attempting re-holstering).

Honestly, I wouldn't do it, just to much possibility something could go horribly wrong.

POP57

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2016
    Delaware
    I've got a couple Fobus holsters, and I just purchased another today, to do some testing. Check out their 'universal' holsters for semi autos.

Authentic Fobus holsters are decent, inexpensive holsters, most of them (like yours looks good), but some are real garbage.

That's an inexpensive and innovative solution, it just makes me nervous to modify a holster by adding anything inside the trigger guard; especially considering this is like the #1 issue with negligent discharges (inadvertently getting something into the trigger while attempting re-holstering).

Honestly, I wouldn't do it, just to much possibility something could go horribly wrong.

The cotton wick is no where near the trigger guard. It is under the lug of the barrel.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Sounds like you are happy with what you have, I also looked for an alternative holster for that particular gun, not much luck (see a couple options below).

When it comes to firearms safety, I'm a bit risk adverse, do what you want. I've seen several negligent discharges including witnessing a person shoot themselves and having 'something' get inside the trigger guard while they were re-holstering, my reservations are purely out of concern for your safety.

I'm actually more interested in the gun than the holster, I've never fired a .327, lower recoil, and nearly the performance of the .357, so I read, would you agree?

How are you finding the ammo availability, cost, selection?

Ruger revolvers are beautiful, great choice of guns.

5773.jpg

http://shopruger.com/Triple-K-Holst...rrel-Made-in-the-USA-50410/productinfo/50410/

http://shopruger.com/Bianchi-Waistb...1-Revolvers-4-barrel-55008/productinfo/55008/

POP57

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2016
    Delaware
    Sounds like you are happy with what you have, I also looked for an alternative holster for that particular gun, not much luck (see a couple options below).

When it comes to firearms safety, I'm a bit risk adverse, do what you want. I've seen several negligent discharges including witnessing a person shoot themselves and having 'something' get inside the trigger guard while they were re-holstering, my reservations are purely out of concern for your safety.

I'm actually more interested in the gun than the holster, I've never fired a .327, lower recoil, and nearly the performance of the .357, so I read, would you agree?

How are you finding the ammo availability, cost, selection?

Ruger revolvers are beautiful, great choice of guns.

I would agree with the recoil statement, although my Ruger 357 is only a 3" barrel. The nice thing about the 327 is that you can load it up with the 327 round or if you feel like some plinking, the 32 S&W round. I have yet to try the 32acp or the 32 H&R magnum. Interesting to own a gun that will handle 5 different rounds.

POP57

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2016
    Delaware

Tried to get a better photo of where the cotton is located. As you can see, the trigger guard area is free and clear.

Attachments

• IMG_20160825_132620444_HDR.JPG
      IMG_20160825_132620444_HDR.JPG
      47.5 KB · Views: 267

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Fobus are second only to the "universal" nylon pouch holsters in suck, too soft, too loose, poor retension, they tear at the rivets, just a cheap design. Might be ok if you just want a cheap range holster, but wouldn't carry with one. If you can't find a production model from a good company, can always get one made from Craftholsters or a Bullseye holsters guy at gunshows around here for well under $100. Either wouldn't have anywhere near the limitations of a Fobus, lots of other folks that can form Leather or Kydex for a nice custom rig, although costs more. For ANY holster I wouldn't stick anything in it besides a gun, too easy for it to come loose and jam up, or get stuck in the trigger. Outside of swapping clips, external stuff or possibly tweaking kydex a bit, get a good holster that fits, and leave it alone.

POP57

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2016
    Delaware
    Fobus are second only to the "universal" nylon pouch holsters in suck, too soft, too loose, poor retension, they tear at the rivets, just a cheap design. Might be ok if you just want a cheap range holster, but wouldn't carry with one. Can always get one made from Craftholsters or a Bullseye holsters guy at gunshows around here for well under $100, either wouldn't have anywhere near the limitations of a Fobus, lots of other folks that can form Leather or Kydex for a nice custom rig, although costs more. For ANY holster I wouldn't stick anything in it besides a gun, too easy for it to come loose and jam up, or get stuck in the trigger. Outside of swapping clips, external stuff or possibly tweaking kydex a bit, get a good holster that fits, and leave it alone.

Appreciate the suggestions. The Fobus is really just for range type carry. I needed something quick and dirty. Just looked at Craftholsters and they make some nice leather paddle holsters. May give one a go when the finances are a bit better.

POP57

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2016
    Delaware
    Fobus are second only to the "universal" nylon pouch holsters in suck, too soft, too loose, poor retension, they tear at the rivets, just a cheap design.

I will say this. The Fobus I got for my 357 seems to be of better quality. No rivets and has a retention adjustment screw.

Attachments

• IMG_20160825_135230136.JPG
      IMG_20160825_135230136.JPG
      73.6 KB · Views: 293

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I will say this. The Fobus I got for my 357 seems to be of better quality. No rivets and has a retention adjustment screw.

They might have fixed some of the issues with them, but one of the main issues is the rivets between the paddle and body, there is enough flex, the plastic is soft and stresses easily, eventually it gets really loose and floppy, or starts to tear out of the rivets. Have seen a lot of people draw and end up pointing a holstered gun at the target, usually with the paddle still attatched, but sometimes not.

This has made the rounds, while not likely unless you are using it to open carry, does show where the weak link is

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    That's a much better picture of what you mean, and I can see how its minimally risky; but for just a few bucks more on a normal holster, I don't see it worth taking any chance.

Lots of custom makers will make you a holster for your exact pistol, but you are right they are not cheap.

I found that Fobus 'universal' holster that is generally designed for Medium sized semi's will also work for a variety of revolvers. I think it cost's closer to $35-40, might be a better solution, and you could likely use it with other pistols. They come in three general sizes- S, M, Large.

Stay safe!

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I'm throwing my hat into the ring IWB holsters Alien tuck 2.0 or Stealth gear usa onyx is the stealth really worth the extra money

the Kydex shells aliengear uses are huge and mount wide with few fasteners, so not as sleek and comfortable as others. Stealth gear are nice, provided you get plastic clips, but really expensive, I pocket carry when it's hot enough for the mesh backers to be useful, so have passed them up. Have had good luck with Foxx, the comfort pad they offer really is nice, and the new plastic clips are great, they ship really fast and have good customer service. I had a kydex clip on an older model of theirs, asked how much for a new style clip and hardware when I ordered another one, didn't hear anything, 3 days later had the new holster with free parts to upgrade my older model.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Fobus are second only to the "universal" nylon pouch holsters in suck, too soft, too loose, poor retension, they tear at the rivets, just a cheap design. Might be ok if you just want a cheap range holster, but wouldn't carry with one.

I have a 15 year old Fobus roto paddle I've used for a range holster for work. It has 10's of thousands of draws. It's still perfect to this day.
    The newer "evolution" line is sturdier and "different". They are tighter and hold closer to the body.
    Any paddle holster is terrible for any type of carry, especially concealed. They really don't provide a close to the body purchase an owb can provide. Fobus is my first go to paddle for all my pistols. Second would be Serpa paddles because their "paddle" is the widest and most secure of any brand on the market.

I won't post a pic of all my holsters like you have.

Last edited:

POP57

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2016
    Delaware
    I have a 15 year old Fobus roto paddle I've used for a range holster for work. It has 10's of thousands of draws. It's still perfect to this day.
    The newer "evolution" line is sturdier and "different". They are tighter and hold closer to the body.
    Any paddle holster is terrible for any type of carry, especially concealed. They really don't provide a close to the body purchase an owb can provide. Fobus is my first go to paddle for all my pistols. Second would be Serpa paddles because their "paddle" is the widest and most secure of any brand on the market.

I won't post a pic of all my holsters like you have.

I have more. :) I also own 2 of the Serpas for my Sigs.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I concur with Blaster, I also own a couple Fobus paddle holsters, they are ok for taking to the range, but stickout so far (and would break in a heartbeat in a fight, or falling down hard on it), why not just OWB?
    A lot of people that complain about Fobus holsters do not realize they have (even) cheap(er) Chinese knockoffs; there is a YouTube video explaining this and showing all the differences. Some of the newest stuff Fobus is putting out is interesting, see the video I posted earlier, I now have that holster and I'm trying it out.

There's a couple other 'budget' holster makers you should check out: Alien Gear and T5 Custom Kydex LLC come to mind. I have holsters from both of these companies on order, will post about them if anyone is interested.

Check out this thread: https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=198548

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom