• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Off the bench off bags and off the bench offhand. Once I get to hap I'll probably try to do some prone shooting with the sling. I got an old M1 carbine along for it.

If you haven't been to one you Need to check out an Appleseed shoot. The 10/22 is the perfect rifle to test your skills and help you improve them.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I am looking at doing one in the spring. Is it possible to do one with mixed .22lr and .308? I certainly don't have the budget or the stamina for a few hundred rounds of .308, but I'd love to mix in some .308 shooting practice in there. Like 40-60 of .308.

Cicirich

Feb 10, 2013
    It's best if you never done Appleseed to stick with one rifle and get acquainted with sights and shooting positions. 10/22 is recommended. Also I think you mentioned you bolt failed to hold open on the last round?
    I"m pretty sure no 10/22 has a last round bolt hold open. I love Appleseed and love my 10/22.

doggyjacket

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2016
    MoCo
    Just ordered my first 10/22 myself. So many awesome and fun mods out there that it's tempting to buy enough to make a 2nd rifle just in custom parts. I think to start I'm just going with a TRS-25 red dot and a Magpul Hunter x-22 stock and than we'll see how it shoots from there.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I am looking at doing one in the spring. Is it possible to do one with mixed .22lr and .308? I certainly don't have the budget or the stamina for a few hundred rounds of .308, but I'd love to mix in some .308 shooting practice in there. Like 40-60 of .308.

Stick with the 10/22 for a regular Appleseed then use the 308 for a Known Distance Appleseed.

A regular Appleseed will require a lot of ammo. It is not uncommon to shoot 300-500 rounds over a weekend.

If you would like to practice before you participate let me know.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I may take you up on that. I had heard sometimes people two gun an Appleseed. Though by the time I participate in one, I'll probably have my AR built and it'll have BUIS, which would be nice to practice and train with as my 10/22 has a scope...5.56 is also half the price of .308...

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I may take you up on that. I had heard sometimes people two gun an Appleseed. Though by the time I participate in one, I'll probably have my AR built and it'll have BUIS, which would be nice to practice and train with as my 10/22 has a scope...5.56 is also half the price of .308...

Stick with .22lr at 25 yards. Center Fire is wasted at 25 save it for know distance.

I have used 3 different rifles to reach Distinguished Rifleman (230 with open sights and 240 with optics). A highly modified Ruger 10/22, an AR 15 Carbine with Tactical Solutions 22 upper (open sights) and the most recent with a Savage MKII FVSR.

W2D

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2015
    Escaped MD for FL
    We've been having great fun with a stock Ruger 10/22. Rather than replacing every part but the barrel retaining screw to make a precision rifle, what rifle would you suggest for around $500?

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    We've been having great fun with a stock Ruger 10/22. Rather than replacing every part but the barrel retaining screw to make a precision rifle, what rifle would you suggest for around $500?

Heavy barrel Remington 597. Saw one at the Dundalk Gun Show today ... You'd have enough left over for a butt load of good ammo.

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA

Savage Mark II FV-SR is a tack driver and well under your budget. It's a great compliment to a 10/22.

For right at your budget, the Savage Mark II TR is another great option.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIITR/

I bought mine at 2A sales.

When I shoot .22, I bring both the TR and a 10/22 with me and enjoy both equally even though they are very different guns.

-Jim

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Savage Mark II FV-SR is a tack driver and well under your budget. It's a great compliment to a 10/22.

For right at your budget, the Savage Mark II TR is another great option.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIITR/

I bought mine at 2A sales.

When I shoot .22, I bring both the TR and a 10/22 with me and enjoy both equally even though they are very different guns.

-Jim

I agree that the Savage FVSR is a great rifle. It will need the stock upgraded to realize its full potential. Or you could buy the MKII TR http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIITR and save time and money. The only down side of the TR is it doesn't have a threaded barrel. This may not be an issue unless you I tend to suppress the rifle.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    An update. I got back to the range after locktiting the screws. They didn't come loose after about 170rnds over a couple of hours (also sighting in my muzzleloader after switching from pyrodex to 777). Nice groups now that it is nice and tight. I was mostly shooting at 25yds, but a few groups at 50.

All 10 round groups.

CCI standards were in about a 2.5" group, Aguila SE the same, Aguila rifle target a little under 2", would have been 1", but there were two fliers.

Looking forward to nicer trigger on this rifle as well as probably going a new barrel, but the later is going to be out there in a few years. 2" and under is more than fine at 50yds for my intended uses, which are squirrel, rabbit and paper.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Another one to look at is the various models of the CZ455.

I have a VPT, which is in a Manners stock. Midway BSA Tactical 4x-14 scope and a Timney trigger (to match my .308 rifle). There are other options for a nicer trigger, although stock is not that bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom