• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    super newbie to reloading. pretty sure i'm getting the redding t7 turret press (presumably a little more "accuracy" than a progressive). this was on sale and hopefully will go back on sale. my first goal is doing some match .223 [wylde] 69g smk's as i lost my loaded ammo source for that.

https://www.brownells.com/reloading...s-accessories/t-7-turret-press-prod38307.aspx

then i've ordered this powder measurer/trickler (on sale):

https://www.brownells.com/reloading.../chargemaster-lite-120-240vac-prod110247.aspx

looking at this case trimmer (on sale, highly ranked):

https://www.brownells.com/reloading...-trimmer-platform-kit-prod54116.aspx?psize=96

is this a decent one for my use?

other than that i have no idea what i need or want, so welcome any suggestions for dies and everything else i need to get going reloading used .223 cases. i might do 7stw and 6.5 creed and then blaster .223 and 9mm at some point.

i do have some powder and yeah primers are OOS so i'm dead in the water until primers come back into stock.

if any of you could kindly link in items for my shopping list (down to small stuff such as shell holders) i would greatly appreciate that!

Last edited:

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    :)

Its always a good thing any time you get into reloading, always!

Basically any of the reloading books are an informative education for new reloaders.

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    It depends on what you are going for. If you are going for blasting ammo, a turret or progressive will work. If you are going for accuracy, the single or turret press is best. The biggest thing is making sure you have a good set of reloading data to start with. I would recommend getting a second turret head for the T-7 if you are looking at loading 3 cartridges. I personally like the trimmers that index off the shoulder rather than the bottom of the case like the one you linked. I have this one as I can do all of my brass prep on it. https://www.brownells.com/reloading...ies-case-trim-and-prep-system-prod122139.aspx

I recommend looking into the inline fabrication mounts. They really do help with organizing the bench. I also recommend the Redding dies as they have produced the best consistency for me. If you are going for true accuracy, I would invest in good brass.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    A case prep center for uniforming primer pockets, chamferring and deburring cas necks, and removing primer pocket crimps. That can all be done with simple hand held tools as well but that gets real tedious when doing large batches. A flash hole deburring tool will also come in handy. You will also need a tumbler or sonic cleaner. I prefer to wet tumble with stainless pins but plenty of people prefer their dry tumbler with walnut or other media.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    A case prep center for uniforming primer pockets, chamferring and deburring cas necks, and removing primer pocket crimps. That can all be done with simple hand held tools as well but that gets real tedious when doing large batches. A flash hole deburring tool will also come in handy. You will also need a tumbler or sonic cleaner. I prefer to wet tumble with stainless pins but plenty of people prefer their dry tumbler with walnut or other media.

forgot to say, tumbler was first item i bought. already have some nice shiny brass!

in all seriousness, i have no idea what i want or need (and which model would be a good choice...) and if you could link some specific items you mentioned i would greatly appreciate that.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    As you build your setup, consider signing up for activejunky.com. You can get 7% cash back on everything a brownells. Also look at gun.deals for brownells discount codes.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    As you build your setup, consider signing up for activejunky.com. You can get 7% cash back on everything a brownells. Also look at gun.deals for brownells discount codes.

thanks for the suggestion, half the time i forget to go thru them, but i did remember for the powder measurer. but, a while back when i did go thru aj, nothing ever hit my account. i contacted aj and they said they'd check but never got back to me.

and yeah i always look for a code. used to be 10% but now they're pretty much 10 off 100 which is 10% if you spend exactly 100, but it rarely works out that way.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I tend to not be a huge fan of turret presses. And yes, I did start with one myself. The ones like the Redding have some slop due to the center axle design. The ones like the Lee, where the turret is supported all the way around the outside have less slop.

I would get a single stage to start. And you will find it useful going forwards as long as you reload.

Redding makes very good dies. But so does RCBS, Lyman, and others. Lee dies are cheaper, and are also good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom