• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    I've been waiting to add a nice 45-70 Marlin 1895 lever gun (SBL or GBL) in the collection. Now the question is should I wait to see if Ruger can turn around the reported quality issues from Remington's mis-handling of the brand? Thinking so, but assume it may be a while.

Any thoughts from current SBL/GBL owners?

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    I've been waiting to add a nice 45-70 Marlin 1895 lever gun (SBL or GBL) in the collection. Now the question is should I wait to see if Ruger can turn around the reported quality issues from Remington's mis-handling of the brand? Thinking so, but assume it may be a while.

Any thoughts from current SBL/GBL owners?

I think the QC was pretty good now. If you can find and put your mitts on one. Cycle the action and check wood fitment.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    I think the QC was pretty good now. If you can find and put your mitts on one. Cycle the action and check wood fitment.

A few months ago, a semi-local shop had 2 model 1894 Remlins brand new with tags, a 357 and a 44. I picked up and cycled the 357 and found it to be really smooth. Good wood fit too. All in all, pretty decent. Sadly, my dumb self did NOT shell out the $700 OTD price at the time and it is now long gone. Another of my many "didn't buy" regrets.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    A few months ago, a semi-local shop had 2 model 1894 Remlins brand new with tags, a 357 and a 44. I picked up and cycled the 357 and found it to be really smooth. Good wood fit too. All in all, pretty decent. Sadly, my dumb self did NOT shell out the $700 OTD price at the time and it is now long gone. Another of my many "didn't buy" regrets.

We all do dumb things sometimes :sad20:

Personally, my "didn't buy" regret list is way longer than "shouldn't have bought" regret list...I bet I'm not alone :o

(Although...I do have the credit card debt to prove that I'm trying to learn from my "mistakes" :innocent0)

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    If still looking for a Marlin1895 45/70, A &D Pawn in GB had one for $700. At least it was still there as of two-three weeks ago. I’d call ahead of time to see if they still have it. I was tempted but I just bought a slightly used 44 mag from them for $450 earlier.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    If still looking for a Marlin1895 45/70, A &D Pawn in GB had one for $700. At least it was still there as of two-three weeks ago. I’d call ahead of time to see if they still have it. I was tempted but I just bought a slightly used 44 mag from them for $450 earlier.

:thumbsup: Will give them a call.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    I have a few Marlin 39s (39A, 39D)
    I purchased a Henry .22 lever gun (H001),, it is a cheap sheet metal and pot metal toy. I sent it back twice because each new one the barrel was skewed hard to the right from the receiver. so much the scope adjustment could not take it up.

My dream gun is a Marlin 1895 SBL in 45-70,,,I will not compromise with a Henry.

A levergun is all I'm actually wanting atm. 38/357. Henry it is then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom