• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I have a different but related question. I've read that it's OK to turn an AR pistol into an AR rile but not the other way around. to that end I just ordered an AR 15 lower with the intention of registering it as an AR pistol when it arrived at my FFL.

I'd like to build two .223 uppers for it. One a 10" barreled pistol (which I'll use a pistol brace buffer on the lower) and one a rifle with 16" barrel and adjustable stock.

Is this idea legal?

please help me figure this out.

thanks

Yes. Make sure the lower is transferred to you described as "Other". Not pistol(you'd need an HQL to proceed any further) and not rifle.

You can legally put a standard carbine extension on a pistol lower, so when you go from pistol configuration to rifle, you merely slip the brace off and replace it with a rifle stock.

Don't be caught driving around with a pistol upper and only a rifle stock in your car. That could lead to trouble...;)

Ignore all this talk about being legal to shoulder a pistol brace. It is not. ATF's stance is, and I'm paraphrasing here, 'a pistol brace touching your shoulder, inadvertently, is okay. Shouldering a pistol brace of a gun with a barrel shorter than 16" is still illegal'.

outobie

Mar 7, 2012
    Annapolis
    thank you for the good advise
    one follow up question then...
    I have an HQL (and several pistols). it's not a problem for me to wait out the extra few days on the pistol paperwork. is there any other reason to not register the lower as a pistol. I've got no interest in testing the limits, just trying to be the most legal and compliant as possible to avoid any hassle or potential issues.

thanks again

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    thank you for the good advise
    one follow up question then...
    I have an HQL (and several pistols). it's not a problem for me to wait out the extra few days on the pistol paperwork. is there any other reason to not register the lower as a pistol. I've got no interest in testing the limits, just trying to be the most legal and compliant as possible to avoid any hassle or potential issues.

thanks again

Stripped lowers are usually transferred as 'other'. No reason to change that. If you decide to sell it(lower) later, it will preclude some from being able to buy your "pistol" lower.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Regarding modifications to a pistol brace; I always thought each brace received approval from ATF for a product in a particular configuration. I don't know that modifying that configuration is illegal, but I think it can put you at risk in that LE could interpret your modification as an SBR. So I have always thought it to be a very bad idea to modify a pistol brace in any way outside of the manufacturer's specifications.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    I have a different but related question. I've read that it's OK to turn an AR pistol into an AR rile but not the other way around. to that end I just ordered an AR 15 lower with the intention of registering it as an AR pistol when it arrived at my FFL.

I'd like to build two .223 uppers for it. One a 10" barreled pistol (which I'll use a pistol brace buffer on the lower) and one a rifle with 16" barrel and adjustable stock.

Is this idea legal?

please help me figure this out.

thanks

So your intention is to “constantly” switch between a brace and a stock on the lower?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Regarding modifications to a pistol brace; I always thought each brace received approval from ATF for a product in a particular configuration. I don't know that modifying that configuration is illegal, but I think it can put you at risk in that LE could interpret your modification as an SBR. So I have always thought it to be a very bad idea to modify a pistol brace in any way outside of the manufacturer's specifications.

I think it would depend. Originally, I thought the OP was wanting to "slip" a pad over the buffer tube, which would be fine, but later realized he was talking about slipping a bad over the end of the brace. That could have been interpreted as converting a brace into a stock. That probably would not end well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom