• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    22lr chamber pressure: 24k PSI
    223 chamber pressure: 55k PSI

I'm not a physicist or a firearms designer, so others should correct me if I'm wrong... but I understand that direct blowback actions are "locked" by the weight/inertia of the bolt. Max pressure is long gone before the case is ejected. I don't believe you'd lose a meaningful amount of pressure from the action.

That said, you'd only get about half the energy as from a 223, so you'd only get, in theory, about half the range.

If that is the case, 50 yards should still be plenty fun.

TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    22lr chamber pressure: 24k PSI
    223 chamber pressure: 55k PSI

I'm not a physicist or a firearms designer, so others should correct me if I'm wrong... but I understand that direct blowback actions are "locked" by the weight/inertia of the bolt. Max pressure is long gone before the case is ejected. I don't believe you'd lose a meaningful amount of pressure from the action.

That said, you'd only get about half the energy as from a 223, so you'd only get, in theory, about half the range.

I may have misused the the term "blow back". The .22 conversion does not use the rotating bolt found in a traditional AR15. The .22 bolt just recoils straight back after being shot. Not sure if that makes any difference. Seems like the delay is not there for the .22 setup.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I may have misused the the term "blow back". The .22 conversion does not use the rotating bolt found in a traditional AR15.
    Yep. Neither does 9mm, for that matter.

The .22 bolt just recoils straight back after being shot. Not sure if that makes any difference. Seems like the delay is not there for the .22 setup.
    The 22lr bolt has weight. The inertia of the bolt keeps the round in the chamber until the pressure goes down (after the bullet has exited the bore, IIRC). The reason that 5.56x45 AR-15s need a more complex action is because the bolt weight required for direct blowback operation would be something like 7lb. You'll notice the BCG on 9mm AR-15s is weighted for this very reason.

Xshot

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    They have a grappling hook for it!?! Are you freaking kidding me! I will officially be a ninja.

Must. Buy.

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    I was wondering what I am going to do with my other lower. Now I know! This is freaking amazing!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Armati

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 6, 2013
    Baltimore
    For smoke, just use a regular beer can and fill it with smoke composition. Pyrotechnic smoke formulas are easily found on the web. You could build smoke grenades for this thing for about $2 - less the cost of the donor beer.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Rusty

Dec 3, 2015
    Frederick
    Thats awesome, where do you shoot it at? seems to me like no range in MD would allow it. Unforunately I dont have much of a back yard.

TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    That's awesome, where do you shoot it at? Seems to me like no range in MD would allow it. Unfortunately I don't have much of a back yard.

I is a bit of a hassle to use. It's not like you can just pop down to the local indoor shooting range. LOL

I have a friend that has a little land, has horses and such, lets me shoot it there when I visit.

In all honesty, I have only fired it a couple dozen times on two occasions. I have been meaning to try out the nail gun blank idea but have not gotten around to it.

Jmorrismetal

Sep 27, 2014
    I have been meaning to try out the nail gun blank idea but have not gotten around to it.

I have played with them a little, pushed a 14.3 grain .22 cal pellet to over 2100 fps out of one of my Savage 24's with them.

IMG_20141018_123047_071_zps959ad9ff.jpg

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Had to explain to my wife i ordered a shit ton of Chinese dildos (AKA Ammo) last night. Thankfully she’s used to me being an idiot.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Thats awesome, where do you shoot it at? seems to me like no range in MD would allow it. Unforunately I dont have much of a back yard.
    I have a Webley Target Launcher that was made for launching beer and soda cans with a .22 blank cartridge which I got about 50 years ago when I was serving overseas. Unfortunately modern beer cans no longer fit because the new aluminum cans are a smaller diameter and have no bottom rim. I thought people might like to see what they were like. Mine was from England but there was an American version called the Targeteer. We used to shoot mine at my fathers place near Lovettsville, VA. They still sell a similar device used in dog training.

Video of the Webley Target Launcher

Article about the Targeteer

Dog training video and advertisement

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Sooooooo these things kick like a mule FYI
    No recoil at all.

This evening was the first chance I got to actually put mine to good use, by shooting a throw line over a widow maker 30 feet in the air.

I chucked a 9 oz throw ball in a plastic water bottle, the bottle fit snugly and seemed to seal well in the launcher. However, the plastic bottle acted like a fart in church. It was loud and noisy but nothing else happened, and the throw ball landed at my feet.

I then get the brainy idea of actually using a can of some sort, because it is a can cannon after all. First stop was the pantry to see if anything would work. Various cans were either too big or tooo small. The Campbell soup cans fit just right. The bonus was that the can had an expiration date from 2 years ago, so the missus wouldnt yell at me. lol

The second attempt was made by placing the empty can in the launcher, the throw ball in the empty can. One squeeze of the trigger, the can and the throw ball launched 50 feet into the air, overshooting the widow maker and landing safely back to earth.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    No recoil at all.

This evening was the first chance I got to actually put mine to good use, by shooting a throw line over a widow maker 30 feet in the air.

I chucked a 9 oz throw ball in a plastic water bottle, the bottle fit snugly and seemed to seal well in the launcher. However, the plastic bottle acted like a fart in church. It was loud and noisy but nothing else happened, and the throw ball landed at my feet.

I then get the brainy idea of actually using a can of some sort, because it is a can cannon after all. First stop was the pantry to see if anything would work. Various cans were either too big or tooo small. The Campbell soup cans fit just right. The bonus was that the can had an expiration date from 2 years ago, so the missus wouldnt yell at me. lol

The second attempt was made by placing the empty can in the launcher, the throw ball in the empty can. One squeeze of the trigger, the can and the throw ball launched 50 feet into the air, overshooting the widow maker and landing safely back to earth.
    Online they have plans for 3D printed pellets. I know a guy who made one from glow in the dark filament. It is very light and doesn’t go very far (by design) but it’s awesome. It probably only went 100 feet in the air. With a full soda can you can easily do a football field. The soda cans kick. I did a 24oz one and instantly regretted it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom