• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Howe

Howe
    Apr 27, 2010
    exMD
    Hi folks, need to pick your brain for some advice on my next project. I had been planning on this build for quite some time but still can’t come to a good resolution.

Objective: A suppressed 9mm SBR that feeds on Glock mags. Budget 800 to 1k. (Prefer 800 so I can be around 1k including stamp). I like the idea that primary and secondary firearms run on same caliber and share magazines. A carbine or mid length rail to be flush with threaded muzzle to mount suppressor would be ideal.

Possible build: (Budget listed below does not include shipping, FFL, and stamp)

1. LWD Glock lower + RRA 9mm 7 inch upper. Est. $750
    Pro: I love RRA, and price is right!
    Con: Known feeding issue when mating RRA and LWD.

2. LWD Glock lower + LWD 9mm upper, re-thread/cut barrel. Est. $1200
    Pro: Flawless operation review.
    Con: Wife yelling on price, no go.

3. Kel-Tec Sub-2000
    Pro: Dirt cheap, $300 + $100ish for re-thread barrel, or if anyone knows where I can get a threaded barrel for Sub2k please let me know!
    Con: I need qual rails for accessory. This is not really a SBR, it will be almost 22 inches just on barrel after mounting suppressor.

4. EAA Roni Est. $400 + LWD threaded barrel for a Glock 17 $125
    Pro: Very affordable since its just a kit, not a complete firearm. Very stylish and unique.
    Con: It will accept suppressor with <35mm width, not sure if it will clear my Cobra M2 @ 34mm with a tilting Glock barrel.
    PS. If I get this kit, I like to get a Glock17 L barrel so it will extent from the kit and allow more play to clear the suppressor. I think it will work with a regular Glock 17 slide, can one of you guys confirm it? Please let me know if you have any experience/feedback using the EAA Roni kit.

Open for suggestions. I am leaning toward to EAA build, but worry about reliability.

Last edited:

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    ask MPDC6D he recently built #4, a supressed one that i saw. It's actually pretty badass.

I think total he is into the gun 1500 something like that, with gun, kit, supressor, and two stamps.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    This is the lower you want.
    http://www.shop.doublediamondsupply.com/AR15-Glock-Mag-Lower-Receiver-DDARGL.htm

Double Diamond Law Enforcement Supply is a great company. A much better company than LWD in my opinion. They'll even engrave your Form1 info on the lower for you if you want.

Their Glock lower is new, but their existing standard 9mm lower is spoken very highly of and is considered one of the best, if not the best.

Do a YouTube or Google search for "DDLES Lower" for more info.

BTW, they have 2 left in stock right now.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    "Objective: A suppressed 9mm SBR that feeds on Glock mags. Budget 800 to 1k. (Prefer 800 so I can be around 1k including stamp). I like the idea that primary and secondary firearms run on same caliber and share magazines."

IMHO, I would move in another direction. You can add a bunch to a Glock and dump a lot of money in it but when you are done, its still a Glock. A real 9mm Sub gun will would be better IMHO or even better just save up for a MG thats only 3x the cost of this project. There is a reason why they stopped putting stocks on pistols. If you look back to Lugers, Broomhandles, High Powers... etc. They all had stocks but in the end... you will still have two secondary firearms, just one with a stock that cost a lot! Thats MHO, I doubt it will talk you out of it but might give you something to think about.

1. LWD Glock lower + RRA 9mm 7 inch upper. Est. $750
    Pro: I love RRA, and price is right!
    Con: Known feeding issue when mating RRA and LWD.

I don't know anything about this but guns with feeding issues are the worst. I would skip it for sure. There is nothing worse than I gun that will not feed!

2. LWD Glock lower + LWD 9mm upper, re-thread/cut barrel. Est. $1200
    Pro: Flawless operation review.
    Con: Wife yelling on price, no go.

Seems like you could make it a two stage project. SBR it and add the suppressor later... or the reverse. Its not as painful if its two $600 hits.

3. Kel-Tec Sub-2000
    Pro: Dirt cheap, $300 + $100ish for re-thread barrel, or if anyone knows where I can get a threaded barrel for Sub2k please let me know!
    Con: I need qual rails for accessory. This is not really a SBR, it will be almost 22 inches just on barrel after mounting suppressor.

I am not a fan of cheap guns. You almost always get what you pay for. I would rather have one more expensive gun than two cheap guns... I would skip this one!

4. EAA Roni Est. $400 + ...

No idea.

"Open for suggestions. I am leaning toward to EAA build, but worry about reliability"

I can only comment generally as I am not much of glock fan. I would say this. Get the best quality possible. NFA items are a pain. You sure as hell don't want to end up with one you don't like or doesn't feed well. Just save up for something better. I still think you would do better to just get a Semi MP5 or Uzi style sub gun or save up and make the jump to a FA Mac.

ask MPDC6D he recently built #4, a supressed one that i saw. It's actually pretty badass.

I think total he is into the gun 1500 something like that, with gun, kit, supressor, and two stamps.

See, thats kind of my point... for double that, he could be in FA and in general I think most people would have a lot more fun with that than two of these style projects.

dwnthehatch

10-32
    Nov 6, 2007
    Kent Island

Attachments

• carbine.jpg
      carbine.jpg
      86.6 KB · Views: 908

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    Why not SBR the Keltec Sub 2000? I've got a Sub 2k In 9mm that takes glock mags. I had the barrel threaded and I love it suppressed. It is exceptionally reliable, when it's folded it takes up about as much room as a pistol. Since it folds, I have not SBR'd mine, but you certainly could if that is important to you. I doubt IMBLITZVT has ever fired a sub 2K, everyone who has fired mine has been determined to go buy one.

Quad rails are available for the Sub2K. Keltec sells a nice set. Red Lion makes a rotating quad rail so that optics can rotate out of the way when the gun folds.

-Jim

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    You may want to look at this:
    http://www.thektog.org/forum/showthread.php?t=245650

You can SBR the Sub-2k, but the number of mods required to run it like that pushes the price up to the point where you'd be better off with a JR carbine or a true 9mm AR-15 build. I embrace the Sub-2k for what it is: a 16" pistol caliber carbine I can shove into a small container while remaining entirely safe. Best gun ever for loaning out to newer shooters heading to the range.

If I had a Glock, I would personally lean much more towards one of the Mako chassis kits or maybe the Hera Arms Triarii kit. Suarez has been pushing "one-handed pistol caliber SBR" as his new shtick lately, so you might want to check out what he's written about it (look in the IPs section?).

I've always liked the idea of doing a micro Uzi SBR, but I think I'd rather save the money towards a Mac 10/9.

Howe

Howe
    Apr 27, 2010
    exMD
    @ mpdc4511: Thanks man, I will PM him. I might just end up doing this build since its very unique. (Not much of a build anyway, more like plug-in-and-play). Just not sure if it will work with my suppressor.

@ Flipz: Actually double diamond was on the top of my list, the bolt will lock back after last round. But it will also push me just about 1k. Still trying to find review to see if it work well with other uppers.

@ IMBLITZVT: Thanks for the suggestion. I will look into that.

@ dwnthehatch: JR is nice too, but the AR clone style isn't knocking me over. I play with a 40 SW not too long ago and I don't think I can swap out the stock plastic qual rail, it looks one piece. (I could be wrong on this.)

@ Kingjamez and Tactics: Funny, everybody that I know who have a sub2k are telling me to go that route. Honestly s2k looks SO ugly in the beginning... but since then it had started to grow on me. I will do more research on the rail and possible cutting barrel.

Still a hard decision..........

PS. Want to add one more thing on the objective, I like to have a solid qual rail, carbine or mid length to be flush with the threaded muzzle. I like the look where just suppressor merge with the rails.

Howe

Howe
    Apr 27, 2010
    exMD
    @ erwos and Kingjames:

Great IDEA, Looks very interesting!!!! S2K with red lion.
    I guess I will have to pick between red dot and hand grip....

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I doubt IMBLITZVT has ever fired a sub 2K, everyone who has fired mine has been determined to go buy one.

I have fired one. Did not do much for me but then again, as I have said before, semi sub guns don't really do it for me. I also had a semi SBR MP40 and a Kahr Tommy and they did not do much for me. I sold them. I think I will stick with what I said, you get what you pay for. $300 sub gun has its place but its not a gun I would spend the money to turn into an NFA item.

dwnthehatch

10-32
    Nov 6, 2007
    Kent Island
    @ dwnthehatch: JR is nice too, but the AR clone style isn't knocking me over. I play with a 40 SW not too long ago and I don't think I can swap out the stock plastic qual rail, it looks one piece. (I could be wrong on this.)

It comes with an aluminum quad rail that is removable.

The JR Carbine receiver is threaded for standard AR barrel nuts. Most AR-compatible free float forends should work as long as the barrel nut fits. The quad-rail forend we supply is a standard aftermarket design, except that the barrel nut only has 4 holes bored into the face for use with the lugs on the standard AR barrel nut wrench. (We eliminated the additional holes because we don't have to accommodate a gas tube and to keep costs down.)

I with you on the clone statement. I do like shooting it better than my sub2k.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I with you on the clone statement. I do like shooting it better than my sub2k.
    The Sub-2000's stock is pretty mediocre, and it's my least favorite part of the platform. I have always been vaguely surprised that no one has made an AR carbine stock adapter for the Sub-2000. The buffer tube diameter is not all that different, and I should think all you would need is a simple sheath and pin setup to get it in. I have a spare mil-spec buffer tube that I could try that with... just chop it down some and drill a hole through it for a pin to hold the rear assembly of the gun together. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. No more folding, though, and that would suck. If I wanted a non-folder, I'd have bought something else. (Of course, Mini-Uzi SBR would be smaller when folded... hmmm...)

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    To the OP, do you have any other AR lowers that are registered SBR's? If not, my suggestion would be to just get a standard AR lower and use a Hahn Precision Magblock and Colt style 9mm mags. That way you can switch out the 9mm upper for other caliber short uppers (5.56, .22lr, 300BLK, etc...) whenever you want.

If you go with a dedicated lower. Well, you know, its dedicated. Personally I like to get the most I can out of a tax stamp. A single standard AR SBR lower can do so much more than a caliber dedicated lower. And in my opinion, the importance of it using Glock mags is more of a novelty and shouldnt be considered a must have.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The OP was pretty clear that he wanted something that would take Glock magazines. That requires a dedicated lower. And, honestly, what's another stamp? I've got like five forms out right now, and am expecting to have a sixth before the month is out. :)

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    The OP was pretty clear that he wanted something that would take Glock magazines. That requires a dedicated lower. And, honestly, what's another stamp? I've got like five forms out right now, and am expecting to have a sixth before the month is out. :)

Yes. I can read too.

The OP stated that he "like"d the option of using Glock mags. He never said it was an absolute. He did however cleary say that he is "Open for suggestions".

Im offering my opinion, which I thought was the entire point of a forum. And if you saw my previous post youd see I already suggested the DDLES Glock lower to the OP. It fills all the OP's requirements. Im just offering the OP other options. Which is something he specifically asked for. Is that such a bad thing?

And just because you have 5 forms out doesnt mean the OP wants to do the same. Whats another tax stamp? Another $200. If you can spend $200 once and get everything you need out of it and more, Id consider that money well spent. I already have a few stamps myself and a couple others on the way. I know the routine.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Geez, flipz, don't take it so damn personally. Dude said this:
    Objective: A suppressed 9mm SBR that feeds on Glock mags.
    That seems absolute to me.

And $200 for a stamp is basically nothing compared to the ammo for a gun that sees regular use over its lifetime. Gotta put cost into context.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Geez, flipz, don't take it so damn personally. Dude said this:

That seems absolute to me.

And $200 for a stamp is basically nothing compared to the ammo for a gun that sees regular use over its lifetime. Gotta put cost into context.

I didnt take it personally. I simply explained the reason for other recommendations.

And I did take cost into account. That was the reason I asked if the OP currently had an AR SBR lower. He is obviously on a budget which he mentioned multiple times. Most likely if the OP were to do another SBR build he would be on a budget again. One standard AR lower that can accomodate multiple calibers is more cost effectlive in the long run. It wouldnt just be the savings of the additional stamp. You are only making mention of the cost of the stamp, but leaving out the cost of the addtional complete lower or even complete firearm. Its not just $200, its easily much more than that. Being able to take away the cost of an additional complete lower + tax stamp is a great savings to a person on a strict budget. That savings alone can pay for an upper in another caliber + mags for it.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Save money + NFA = does not compute :)

Without a happy switch, pistol caliber carbines and SBRs are basically pointless, except as toys. I say this as a guy who owns a Sub-2000 and is building a dedicated 9mm AR-15 SBR, and still dreams of running a semi-auto Mini Uzi SBR one day. They're fun to shoot, but for real usage, a rifle caliber is the way to go. So, the save money route to me is don't.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Save money + NFA = does not compute :)

Without a happy switch, pistol caliber carbines and SBRs are basically pointless, except as toys. I say this as a guy who owns a Sub-2000 and is building a dedicated 9mm AR-15 SBR, and still dreams of running a semi-auto Mini Uzi SBR one day. They're fun to shoot, but for real usage, a rifle caliber is the way to go. So, the save money route to me is don't.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

And Im just curious, what do you mean by "real usage"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom