• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tebonski

Jan 23, 2013
    Harford County
    I know the 1911 is popular and considered all All American. Why the intense loyalty to a gun that jams? Glocks are 1000% more reliable than 1911.

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    This is a CMP thread in a C&R sub-forum. Maybe in a hundred years Glocks will be available from the CMP, but for now, 1911s are in the hopper.

On the topics of intense loyalty and jamming, I have a bunch of 1911s that don't jam and a bunch of Glocks. What does that make me ... a unicorn? :D

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    This is a CMP thread in a C&R sub-forum. Maybe in a hundred years Glocks will be available from the CMP, but for now, 1911s are in the hopper.

On the topics of intense loyalty and jamming, I have a bunch of 1911s that don't jam and a bunch of Glocks. What does that make me ... a unicorn? :D
    Wishful thinking.

A Unicorn is decidedly misogynistic and racist. So no can do for you. So sorry.

You sir are simply and irrevocably confused. (For those very same reasons, I must nominate myself to the team you are on.)

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    Wishful thinking.

A Unicorn is decidedly misogynistic and racist. So no can do for you. So sorry.

You sir are simply and irrevocably confused. (For those very same reasons, I must nominate myself to the team you are on.)

Go team!

On the bright side, I learned more about unicorns. Are they in season? There might be a bad pun in there somewhere. :innocent0

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Go team!

On the bright side, I learned more about unicorns. Are they in season? There might be a bad pun in there somewhere. :innocent0
    Glocks have their place. They make a strong case given their simplicity and reliability and cost. They do smack of Tupperware; especially when they click into a good kydex.

Having said that, it's like comparing my first car...'62 VW to say, a classic muscle car....maybe a nice Pontiac GTO with triple carbs. That VW was uber reliable. Somehow though, it failed to make any of my dates wet like a rumbling big 8 in a GTO almost assuredly would.

Anyhow, any and all of my 1911s will ALWAYS be (welcome and) at home on my hip...in leather.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I know the 1911 is popular and considered all All American. Why the intense loyalty to a gun that jams? Glocks are 1000% more reliable than 1911.

Some us were weaned on the 1911.

I was seventeen and it was the first handgun I ever shot.

In my opinion, the grip design is absolute perfection.

Is the Glock more reliable? Yes. But it has a grip only a mason could love.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Some us were weaned on the 1911.

I was seventeen and it was the first handgun I ever shot.

In my opinion, the grip design is absolute perfection.

Is the Glock more reliable? Yes. But it has a grip only a mason would love.

Hey, don't be talking about my Glock's grip. They do just fine by me.:D

Seriously, the 1911 is a great gun, proven in battle for many years. However, so was the 1903 a3 rifle. As a battle weapon, both did the job at the time, but they're not comparable to modern weaponry.

But as a window into the past, for many, it's a great firearm. People will pay for that bit of history. New modern examples of this technology have a following. But we're talking about history with these pistols from the CMP. Same reason some collect the Garand, the M1 Carbine, etc. They want that little bit of history associated with that firearm.

I personally don't like the 1911 design, but if I could buy a WWII 1911 for a great price, I'd buy it. However, just like the M1 Carbine fiasco, I'm afraid the 1911 sale from CMP is going to follow the same chaos.

There's been too much hype and confusion already. It's tough to put the genie back in the bottle.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    The 1911 has stood the test of time. It's more popular now than Glocks will probably be in 75 years. Name something else that was manufactured before WWI and is still be produced in large numbers, with no major design changes?

I own 1911's and Glocks and love them all!

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Name something else that was manufactured before WWI and is still be produced in large numbers, with no major design changes?

I mean, virtually every rifle built on the Mauser action for starters. There are also a ton of modern manufacturers that make new Mauser action rifles. Virtually all post-WWI models are built on the 1898 large-ring action, but the changes between small and large ring actions are minimal in design (though significant in safety of use) and could be compared to the changes between the original 1911, A-1, and A-2 models.

Mind you, I wouldn't say there aren't any major design changes in new 1911s. Springfield uses the ILS in the mainspring housing as an integrated lock system. Capacities have been increased, parts have been lightened, calibers have been changed, actions and lengths shortened, etc. etc. etc. Incrementally, it doesn't seem like much, but today's Kimbers and other high-end 1911s are very different animals design and tech-wise than the original. The basic layout and function theory may be the same, but I'm pretty sure Browning wouldn't recognize them as "His" design in the end. Mind you, Mauser's design has undergone similar design changes over the years.

That doesn't detract from the 1911 in any way. My guess is that there are more Mauser actions floating around out there than 1911s simply due to the sheer number of militaries that used them as standard-issue infantry rifles and carbines. Solid designs are solid designs. John Moses Browning made a bunch of solid designs and Paul Mauser came up with a few as well. People have taken it upon themselves over the years to make incremental changes to both platforms to attempt to improve upon certain aspects of the design. Some have been successes, others have been failures.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I think I'll just wait and see how the new plastic guns hold up over time. I know steel and wood do pretty well at 100+ years but I don't have anything made of plastic that old and the oldest plastic things I have all seem to get brittle.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Hum, I own 3 1911's, none of them are prone to jamming,. I guess the loyalty is becuase a 1911 is steel and wood the way a handgun should be built

Same experience here except I have 5. I've seen more Glocks jam than 1911's. Its just not true that 1911's are in any way prone to jamming.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Name something else that was manufactured before WWI and is still be produced in large numbers, with no major design changes?

I own 1911's and Glocks and love them all!

The Browning M2 just missed the cut off and is still in service...

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    The Browning M2 just missed the cut off and is still in service...
    There are some people in the service who can find a reason to complain about anything, but I never heard anyone criticize the ma deuce when I was in. I guess people on the receiving end probably aren't big fans, for however much longer they are alive. I know we weren't real big on DShKs or RPGs.

Jul 1, 2012
    It does look like an ad written by CMP publicists :)
    Somehow I doubt there will be any pristine guns after being jumbled together in those crates.

comments are fun to read...

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV

I have an 18 pound spring in my gold cup shot hundreds of rounds FMJ. Full power wad cutters and hollow point ammo and never had a jam. I guess because the Germans feared it when it was introduced as a trench weapon. They knew if you hit them they were not getting up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom