• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • benton0311

Feb 26, 2011
    Does anyone have any recommendations for shops in the Frederick area or possibly along the I-270 corridor that can install an LSD in a 2018 Ram 1500?

We just picked up a Ram 1500 and it's almost perfect except it doesn't have an LSD (anti-spin differential as per Mopar). I do most work myself but I don't feel confident getting the fitment just right on a brand new truck (shims, backlash, etc.).

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    Middletown Auto Repair. Curtis (part owner) is phenomenal and reasonably priced.

benton0311

Feb 26, 2011
    LSD = Limited Slip Differential ?

Correct. Fitting an aftermarket LSD takes a little skill for fitment since it needs to be fitted with shims and adjusted properly. Older or project truck I'd do it myself but since this is a brand new daily driver that my wife will be driving mostly I'm going to have the pros do it.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Why not have the dealer do it since it’s still under the factory warranty?

Is it 2wd or 4wd

Worst case he would pay in full for parts/labor at the dealer for that service

I assume because the limited slip wasn't originally as configured/delivered on his truck.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    If I was going to put in an LSD, I'd do an air locker. Good luck in your search.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Since you don't have the factory posi as a starting point , there are better options , including better & less expensive .

For comparison , the oem is $775 list, $650 shop around.

Yukon's Dura Grip and Detroit's Tru Track are both mid 500's . The Dura Grip is same basic concept as basic clutch type limited slip, supposedly a little beefier . The Tru Track uses a worm gear type design . Good news is really serious traction , but will sometimes be noticeable locking and unlocking on tight turns on pavement . Not an actual problem , but some drivers prefer transparent .

Or for a little more $ , Air Lockers just over $ 1k . Runs open diff for vanilla driving , full locker when engaged .

All above are for parts , plus labor .

Not saying with a straight face than any of these are cheap , but just giving context in comparison to the oem .

If it were me , I'd either live with the open , or step up to Tru Track, YMMV . The moral of the story is to get the factory posi, because the upcharge will be a lot less than adding somthing later .

benton0311

Feb 26, 2011
    Since you don't have the factory posi as a starting point , there are better options , including better & less expensive .

For comparison , the oem is $775 list, $650 shop around.

Yukon's Dura Grip and Detroit's Tru Track are both mid 500's . The Dura Grip is same basic concept as basic clutch type limited slip, supposedly a little beefier . The Tru Track uses a worm gear type design . Good news is really serious traction , but will sometimes be noticeable locking and unlocking on tight turns on pavement . Not an actual problem , but some drivers prefer transparent .

Or for a little more $ , Air Lockers just over $ 1k . Runs open diff for vanilla driving , full locker when engaged .

All above are for parts , plus labor .

Not saying with a straight face than any of these are cheap , but just giving context in comparison to the oem .

If it were me , I'd either live with the open , or step up to Tru Track, YMMV . The moral of the story is to get the factory posi, because the upcharge will be a lot less than adding somthing later .

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to spec this truck out exactly the way I wanted since it was dealer overstock and steeply discounted. It was basically fully loaded except for the differential while the other truck I was considering was a stripped out model but had limited slip. I almost bought the stripped down truck solely because of the LSD but just couldn't turn down a truck that was much, much nicer overall. I ended up getting a brand new truck with a bunch of options for less than a used one with some miles.

I've already been looking at the Yukons as well as Auburn gear. I'll check into the Tru Track. Ron's Machining Service has a really cheap clutch-type but the price seems way too good to be true at $360. No reviews on the RMS but I just don't trust it at that price point unless I can find some feedback on it.

No desire for an air locker or even an auto-locker at this point since I want the street manners. Primary concern is snow, heavy throttle in the rain, wet grass, and light mud but I want a good, smooth, automatically engaging, very transparent setup. I'm familiar with clutch-type LSDs and like the way they engage, at least when the fluid and modifier are fresh.

Edit: My wife will also be driving this thus the desire for the seamless and transparent engagement of a clutch LSD.

mtlcafan79

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2008
    PG
    +1 Trutrac. Have you driven one yet? I don't even notice mine unless it's a freshly paved parking lot and then it will chirp the inside tire on a 90* corner pulling out of a spot. I've had a Detroit Locker, Trutrac, and an Auburn Posi so far in several 9.25's in Dakotas. I like the Trutrac the best so far for street manners. Look for Jeep shops too for the install. They do gears and differentials all day long. Walk into the shop and if it smells like gear oil you're in the right place.

Rebel59

Hater of Kings and Queens
    Apr 8, 2018
    Went fishing
    Another vote for the Eaton TruTrack. Install and forget about it, no buttons to fidget with, it just works. I put two in the JK and they are female friendly and have good road manners unlike my Detroit locker that I had in my D200.

benton0311

Feb 26, 2011
    I've narrowed it down to the Yukon DuraGrip. I've found decent prices on them with the install kit included which will be required. I've owned a few cars and SUVs with clutch type differentials before and haven't had any issues unless the friction modifier was worn out. I've also had Torsens (helical/worm gear) and haven't had any issues on dry or wet pavement but technically they'll become an open differential if one wheel has zero traction like what can occur in snow, ice, or if one wheel is off the ground. Unfortunately, they don't appear to make the Eaton TrueTrac or any other Torsen-style differential for the newer ZF axles, only for the older 9.25's so all of my options are clutch or lockers.

I spoke to a mechanic a Criswell, where i bought the truck from, and he mentioned he'd be able to do it but was unsure of the labor although it could be as low as 4 hours. mtlcafan79, thanks for the advice on the Jeep shops, that's a great idea. Looking for a shop that does frequent drivetrain mods since they'd be able to do it the best, fastest, and probably cheapest.

benton0311

Feb 26, 2011
    Got the Yukon DuraGrip with the full install kit for $535 shipped which seems like a helluva deal. Bill and Earl's was recommended by someone so I set up an appointment to have them take a look at it and hopefully install it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom