• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Cops:sad20: Don't they have more important things to do, like lock up murderers, drug dealers and rapists? Sheesh!:rolleyes:

...although...:tap:...for about 20 minutes today one officer was not able to be locking up murderers, drug dealers or rapists because she was dealing with someone who didn't keep up with vehicle maintenance. Whose time was really wasted in that traffic stop? :cop:

Aren't our mantras, "we are law abiding citizens," and, "enforce the laws we have?" Well, like it or not, it is against the law to drive around with faulty equipment :shrug: Personally, I'd be grateful that she didn't fully enforce the law with a ticket.:innocent0

Yearly inspections, like PA has, might cut down on a lot of this...but I certainly don't want to go down that route.:o

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    If it's all about the faulty equipment, why give a warning and not an SERO?

Maybe she thought he was cute? :shrug: I figure that's why I've gotten two warnings instead of speeding tickets :D

(that was a long time ago...I'm neither as fast nor cute these days)

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    A police officer told me that the plate light out deal is for a reason to stop someone to get them on something else or to look for something else.
    What ever that means, sounds like they thought you were up to something else or she was bored.

I was stopped once in Ocean Pines for having 1 of my 2 plate lights out on the Suburban. He did not give me one of the "fix and come in with a receipt" things but he wanted to see if I had been drinking or something.

Happy Trails.

Dingo3

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2013
    Fredneck
    A little over a year ago, while leaving work, a Frederick deputy pulled me over for tag lights being out. The area I was in is very well-lit so no idea if he couldn’t read my tag or not. It was 11 pm and I was near downtown so I can understand why. He gave me a written warning. And yes, the tag lights were out. Replaced them the next day. Was he fishing? I dunno but they were indeed in need of replacement.

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    One of my major gripes is
    for those who drive in the rain without turning their lights on.

Coming up on three years in May me and another person collided and then they hit another car. No lights during just about a downpour... Of course they said their lights were on and who were the cops to believe, me or someone almost twice my age.. Even on my destroyed vehicle the lights were still on after the fact and I pointed that out to MD's finest who responded. I got smacked as party one with full blame. Two pending lawsuits later every time I see someone w/o their lights on it reminds me of that day. I run dual dash cameras now for 360* coverage.

bigjoegood1

King Lurker
    MDS Supporter
    May 2, 2005
    Behind enemy lines
    Tag light out is not a primary offense. Technically it's an illegal stop. If you have no other infractions, you'll usually only receive a warning.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Tag light out is not a primary offense. Technically it's an illegal stop. If you have no other infractions, you'll usually only receive a warning.

I'm about 99% sure you are incorrect but I could be wrong. Any sources for this?

I've been pulled over several times for having various lights out.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Dingo3

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2013
    Fredneck
    As I’ve said, when I was pulled over for it, the deputy gave me a warning. Yes both tag bulbs needed replaced. But looking at the time it occurred and the location he pulled me over, I don’t see a problem. Once he realized I was just going home from work, he seemed to want to get back out and not waste any more time. Deputy gave me a warning and I replaced the bulbs the next day. He could’ve given a repair order but did not

A police officer told me that the plate light out deal is for a reason to stop someone to get them on something else or to look for something else.

They call it fishing. They are hoping to get someone that has a warrant or find signs of drugs or criminal activity. Many of people have been busted for having a trunk full of drugs and the likes over a minor traffic violation.

bigjoegood1

King Lurker
    MDS Supporter
    May 2, 2005
    Behind enemy lines
    I'm about 99% sure you are incorrect but I could be wrong. Any sources for this?

I've been pulled over several times for having various lights out.

Per my wife who is a retired police officer, a tag light out is not a primary offense. She even got pulled over for a tag light when we were living in PG county. She produced her ID and schooled the officer who stopped her on illegal stops. He apologized and sent her on her way.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    They call it fishing. They are hoping to get someone that has a warrant or find signs of drugs or criminal activity. Many of people have been busted for having a trunk full of drugs and the likes over a minor traffic violation.

They are looking for 'the odor of burnt marijuana' to emanate from the vehicle which gives them probable cause to take your car apart on the side of the road whether they find anything or not.

bigjoegood1

King Lurker
    MDS Supporter
    May 2, 2005
    Behind enemy lines
    Has any of you that have been pulled over for a tag light ever received an actual ticket and not just a warning if there were no other violations?

East2West

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 20, 2013
    Nomalley, Nobama
    Nothing, and I mean NOTHING puts the general public at risk quite like a poorly or not-at-all illuminated license plate.
    Damned lucky the police officer pulled you over before someone was killed, OR WORSE!

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018

Nope, you are wrong.

On edit you can see in the picture the 3 violations in the Maryland Traffic Article that are secondary offenses. The inadequate plate illumination is a primary offense.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    15a30a51a1e5acdfce191ab54c47fe72.jpg
    6a2e8a0793a9a88c99114e4440005e18.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom