Back in MD, now living in SoMD (Charles County)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gino z32

that car guy
    May 17, 2011
    Bennsville, MD
    So as the title states...after a six year hiatus in a more constitution friendly state (PA), I am now back in MD, specifically Charles County (technically Waldorf, but actually Bennsville). That being said, what are some good ranges in the area? I know about Fred's, but is there anything out this way that has 100+ yard lanes? If not, what about clubs? Thanks in advance, and although it's not necessarily great to be back in MD, it's great to be back on the boards!

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    So as the title states...after a six year hiatus in a more constitution friendly state (PA), I am now back in MD, specifically Charles County (technically Waldorf, but actually Bennsville). That being said, what are some good ranges in the area? I know about Fred's, but is there anything out this way that has 100+ yard lanes? If not, what about clubs? Thanks in advance, and although it's not necessarily great to be back in MD, it's great to be back on the boards!

Myrtle Grove WMA is an outdoor range off Hawthorne Road. 100yds unattended. During the week, in the morning, you have the place often to yourself. Saturday morning is when the zombies come out. With it being open to anyone regardless of qualification and in absence of an RSO, you really have to keep your eyes open about who is shooting with you. Most people know the safety rules, but occasionally there is some mindboggling stupidity on display. It's $20/year and you can buy the range permit on MD DNRs 'Compass' system. Also, any Walmart that sells licenses and 'Lees Market' in Potomac Heights have the annual permit. $5 daily self-service permits are available from a metal post at the range. Make sure you have a permit, occasionally NRP or 'Dan' the WMA ranger come around to check. Please adhere to the rules about shooting times etc. (place is closed sunday mornings for church).

There are few other options.
    Isaac Walton League was trying to build an outdoor range off Smallwood Church road in Marbury (technically Indian Head). This was going to be on a 200acre parcel but the NIMBYs shot that down.
    Sanners Lake outdoor club in Lexington Park has a nice range facility. They have a waiting list 2-3 years long. There is now a commercial range that way as well. 'Flat Broke Shooters' or something like that. Haven't had time to check them out yet.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Myrtle Grove is the only 100 yard range in Charles county. St. Mary's has Sanners Lake, which is private, but all their matches are open to the public.

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    Myrtle Grove WMA is an outdoor range off Hawthorne Road. 100yds unattended. During the week, in the morning, you have the place often to yourself. Saturday morning is when the zombies come out. With it being open to anyone regardless of qualification and in absence of an RSO, you really have to keep your eyes open about who is shooting with you. Most people know the safety rules, but occasionally there is some mindboggling stupidity on display. It's $20/year and you can buy the range permit on MD DNRs 'Compass' system. Also, any Walmart that sells licenses and 'Lees Market' in Potomac Heights have the annual permit. $5 daily self-service permits are available from a metal post at the range. Make sure you have a permit, occasionally NRP or 'Dan' the WMA ranger come around to check. Please adhere to the rules about shooting times etc. (place is closed sunday mornings for church).

There are few other options.
    Isaac Walton League was trying to build an outdoor range off Smallwood Church road in Marbury (technically Indian Head). This was going to be on a 200acre parcel but the NIMBYs shot that down.
    Sanners Lake outdoor club in Lexington Park has a nice range facility. They have a waiting list 2-3 years long. There is now a commercial range that way as well. 'Flat Broke Shooters' or something like that. Haven't had time to check them out yet.

Flat Broke Shooters indoor range still under construction

Gino z32

that car guy
    May 17, 2011
    Bennsville, MD
    Thanks for the quick replies. It sounds like I will definitely have to check out Myrtle Grove. The quiet mornings sounds like a treat for me, as my shift switches to 1500-2300 every other month, and with two young kids I'm usually up by 0600 anyways. I also have no problem calling people out on stupidity and sheer lack of safety, if so deserved...

hopefully one day I'll get to meet up with some of you SoMD guys!

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    Thanks for the quick replies. It sounds like I will definitely have to check out Myrtle Grove. The quiet mornings sounds like a treat for me, as my shift switches to 1500-2300 every other month, and with two young kids I'm usually up by 0600 anyways. I also have no problem calling people out on stupidity and sheer lack of safety, if so deserved...

take a fishing pole try your luck if you like drowning worms

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable

The hours are a bit quirky:

March through October: Sunday from 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm, Monday from 1:00 pm to 6:pm and Tuesday through Saturday from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm.
    November through February: Sunday and Monday from 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm and Tuesday through Saturday from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm.
    The range will open at 9:00 am on any Monday that falls on a State Holiday.

Oh, and if you live in Bensville, put Bensville in your profile. It's not Waldorf :)

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Good call, I know it's a completely different beast from Waldorf lol.

Not to be nitpicky, I believe it's one 'n'.

I looked at building a house off Bensville Rd. It's a spectacular piece of land, but then I decided that I didn't want to have the most expensive house in a Waldorf zip code. Great spot if you need to commute into DC but prefer to live in Chuck Co over PG.

Gino z32

that car guy
    May 17, 2011
    Bennsville, MD
    Not to be nitpicky, I believe it's one 'n'.

I looked at building a house off Bensville Rd. It's a spectacular piece of land, but then I decided that I didn't want to have the most expensive house in a Waldorf zip code. Great spot if you need to commute into DC but prefer to live in Chuck Co over PG.

From everything I've seen, it's two n's...and yes, we live out that way in a neighborhood off Bennsville Rd. My wife works in Arlington, and I still work in Baltimore county, so given the options (PG or Charles Co), I think we ended up in the best place available. Also, unless I'm reading your last sentence wrong, Waldorf is Charles county, not PG. Same for Bennsville. The county line is actually just prior to the 228/229 (Bensville Rd) intersection.

Just for reference, I was born and raised in Carroll County and worked for the Sheriff's office for five years (before going to the university of MD), and also lived in Hanover, PA, so the area is definitely a little different from what I'm used to, but at least where we are it's still pretty rural and quiet.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    From everything I've seen, it's two n's...and yes, we live out that way in a neighborhood off Bennsville Rd. My wife works in Arlington, and I still work in Baltimore county, so given the options (PG or Charles Co), I think we ended up in the best place available. Also, unless I'm reading your last sentence wrong, Waldorf is Charles county, not PG. Same for Bennsville. The county line is actually just prior to the 228/229 (Bensville Rd) intersection.

Funny. The road is with one 'n' and the 'census designated place' has two.

Yes, its Charles county, but its the part of the county with the best access to NoVa, DC and I95. I am further out in the boonies, but I like it that way. My wife is the one with the commute 2 days/week.

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    I use to live on Bennsville rd, Berry Hill. Bought in 2000, sold in 2005. Bought at the right time, sold at the right time. As the saying goes, it used to be nice.. before 210 got insane and Chuck county property taxes went PG level.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• msi_welcome.jpg
      msi_welcome.jpg
      30.2 KB · Views: 113

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads