• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vgplayer

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    King George, VA
    Unfortunately Freds is kinda the only choice in SOMD... that is until Flat Broke opens up this year. https://www.flatbrokeshootersllc.com/shooting-range

I had bought a case of ammo for from them specifically for range use when it was on sale and had them put their special tape on each box so could bring it back. Without fail every time I returned I had to explain myself and the policy they told me and by the end it was more "We'll let it go this time". At least now I don't have to deal with that BS.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    For the cost of one box of Fred's ammo, one can buy a year pass to Myrtle grove.

Or the cost of 2-3 range trips there pays for a year's membership to the St Charles club or Sanners lake.

Buckeye_Nut

Jun 15, 2017
    Waldorf
    This is good news. I haven't used Fred's before because of the ammo policy. I was also a bit alarmed when I heard two young ladies being instructed on how to use a rental gun. Neither one had ever shot. I did not want to be on the range with them.

EndangeredMooseknuckle

Abducted Cynic
    Jun 23, 2017
    Southern MD, St. Marys
    Has anyone gone to Fred’s since the change in policy? I’d be interested to see if any other changes have had to be made as a result.
    So, they got rid of the pink range bags for those who rent and use plastic handled bins now (not sure why, I don't rent). They use the little buzzer things like restaurants when waiting for your turn.. yesterday i only waited about 10 minutes. Chuck was telling me that they started looking at rifle ammo because some guy was shooting green tips the other day.. saw that coming a mile away. There are signs everywhere about range safety and liability for damaging the range for this reason. Luckily they're running deals to be more competitively priced on ammo when buying larger quantities.

Unfortunately with the cold/wet weather the range is slammed just about from open to close now. 8 lanes, two people per lane, occasionally staff, and now a guy cleaning or sweeping makes it VERY tight in there.. especially if you're of larger stature and shooting rifles.

fred2207

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 14, 2013
    PG
    Has anyone gone to Fred’s since the change in policy? I’d be interested to see if any other changes have had to be made as a result.

Since about the first of the year, been going there about twice a week, usually on Tuesday and Thursday. No problem using my own ammunition. Also, picked up an annual membership the first of January, when it was on special for half price, just over $200.00. l try to go early in the day to avoid some of the beginner traffic. As with other indoor ranges, there is significant evidence of stray rounds on the floor, ceiling, and support structure.

JMD2004

Aug 9, 2017
    Lexington Park
    Went to Fred's for the first time last Friday. Had to watch their 8 minute video on gun safety. Not too bad. They only asked to see the ammo we were using for our rifles. Making sure it wasn't steel (the actual bullet..not the case) Yes it is only a 50 foot range. Yes only 8 lanes. Because it was a rainy day we were there early to get some time in. But the lanes are nice..pocket on one side to hold mags...and some low shelves behind you to put your cases/bags on. We enjoyed it. Especially since we drove to MD Small arms first..got out stuff inside....and then they told us the rifle ranges were off limits for 4 hours cause they had agencies booked. Kind of annoying there was no signs about it at all. Oh well. I will happily go back to Freds on my next weekday free.

mikemild13

Oct 27, 2015
    When I first moved to MD in 1994 I admit that I was not impressed with Fred's. After being a frequent customer over the years I will say that my first impressions were not accurate. Hanging around from time to time it was easy to see why they sometimes had a little bit of an attitude. If I had to deal with some of the people they do on a regular basis I would have bad days, too.

Glad they finally changed the ammo requirement. It's been a couple months since I used the range because of the additional cost but I will now go more often. My preference in this area is still Myrtle Grove but Fred's is much closer.

I hope some of you that had bad experiences there give them a second look. Everyone there is actually very nice and helpful but they are human.

And no, I don't work there.

EndangeredMooseknuckle

Abducted Cynic
    Jun 23, 2017
    Southern MD, St. Marys
    When I first moved to MD in 1994 I admit that I was not impressed with Fred's. After being a frequent customer over the years I will say that my first impressions were not accurate. Hanging around from time to time it was easy to see why they sometimes had a little bit of an attitude. If I had to deal with some of the people they do on a regular basis I would have bad days, too.

Glad they finally changed the ammo requirement. It's been a couple months since I used the range because of the additional cost but I will now go more often. My preference in this area is still Myrtle Grove but Fred's is much closer.

I hope some of you that had bad experiences there give them a second look. Everyone there is actually very nice and helpful but they are human.

And no, I don't work there.
    Same here. First impression was that they had a poor attitude and were very rude to customers. That was before hearing everything from "are those real bullets?" to "why do this thing keep shooting the ceiling?"...

Now i get it..

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    well fred's has removed itself from my don't bother list. if i hit up fred's when it isn't busy i can get there, shoot, and get home before i'd get set up at myrtle grove. 25 a visit is a bit steep, but i sadly don't shoot enough for that to be too bothersome

Ngrovcam

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2016
    Florida
    Took my wife to Fred’s on a Groupon deal
    this afternoon. The range ladies were very
    nice. We had a blast - pun intended.

My wife had never fired a handgun before...
    tried a Glock 42 in .380 and Sig 229 in 9 mil.
    She liked the 9 mil...and, now wants to go to
    the Dulles show tomorrow!

Afterward, we went to Napoli’s in Waldorf...
    had a great pizza, and a dessert I can’t
    pronounce but that was fantastic!!!!!!!

Ain’t love grand!!!??

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom