• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-yellow-light-for-red-flag-laws-11565132144?mod=hp_opin_pos_3

We don’t yet have the predictive tools necessary to raise the number of true positives while at the same time reducing false positives. We may someday develop such tools, but how many false positives are we willing to tolerate until then to decrease the number of false negatives? Put another way: How many law-abiding people are we prepared to deprive of guns to prevent even one mass shooting?

Red-flag laws risk setting a dangerous precedent. If the government can take your guns based on a prediction today, what will stop it from taking your liberty based on a prediction tomorrow?

It isn’t a far-fetched concern. The U.S. detained more than 100,000 Japanese-Americans during World War II based on wildly exaggerated predictions of sabotage.

But when government starts taking away some rights in the interest of safety, all rights are at risk.

:whoa:

This is one of those days I wonder if I've woken up in an alternate universe.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    This is one of those days I wonder if I've woken up in an alternate universe.

He may be - from a lifetime of it - generally a classical Dem/liberal. But for a long time now, he's been a moderating voice against government overreach and especially against actions that blatantly violate the BoR. He's sort of like what the ACLU is supposed to be. Which is why the ACLU hates him, now.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    He may be - from a lifetime of it - generally a classical Dem/liberal. But for a long time now, he's been a moderating voice against government overreach and especially against actions that blatantly violate the BoR. He's sort of like what the ACLU is supposed to be. Which is why the ACLU hates him, now.

The Dems and ACLU have gone so far left, Dershowitz is now what a Republican looks like, lol. Not really, more like "independent" or center.

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    I think Dershowitz’s fairly recent swing to the right is a play to curry favor with Trump and certain members of the DOJ so when the Epstein sh!t really hits the fan he ends up on the side of witness for the prosecution rather than defendant. Purely speculation.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Dershowitz reminds me of Senator Frank Church. Who may have been a liberal, but he had principles and stuck by them. And if you're a serious civil libertarian, the pro-2A argument is compelling.

Steve_Zissou

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2017
    Baltimore City
    I think Dershowitz’s fairly recent swing to the right is a play to curry favor with Trump and certain members of the DOJ so when the Epstein sh!t really hits the fan he ends up on the side of witness for the prosecution rather than defendant. Purely speculation.

This. I'd like to see some high-profile pushback at this red flag BS by someone who DOESN'T have ties to pedo island and the lolita express. Is that too much to ask?

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I don’t think he’s moved right at all. His life-long D party has gone screaming off to the left in full crazy mode and he’s not shy about calling them on it.

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    I don’t think he’s moved right at all. His life-long D party has gone screaming off to the left in full crazy mode and he’s not shy about calling them on it.

Not denying that the party has gone nuts, but I don’t see many that want to speak out and become their target for no apparent reason. This is a guy that had no qualms about knowingly helping OJ get away with murder. Let’s not pretend he is principled.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Not denying that the party has gone nuts, but I don’t see many that want to speak out and become their target for no apparent reason. This is a guy that had no qualms about knowingly helping OJ get away with murder. Let’s not pretend he is principled.

I’m more concerned of the laws than the man.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    The first quote hits strong. Think about it. False positives seem ok in this case yet libs are up in arms on potential innocent criminals getting the death penalty. They scream.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

Exactly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RepublicOfFranklin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 16, 2018
    The ‘Dena - DPRM
    Dershowitz’s past in no way disproves how right he is on this.

Tearing up the 1st, 2nd, 4th, and 5th amendments in order to prevent one of the rarest forms of crime that exists is madness no matter how you dress it up.

The fact that Alan’s party are currently the ones openly pushing to destroy amendments 1 & 2, already destroyed the 4th, and have destroyed the 5th when it comes to their political enemies; it should say something that Dershowitz is saying to quit giving them what they want.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    It should be obvious to anyone Red Flag Laws are not about public safety, only Gun Confiscation.
    If someone is truly too dangerous to own a gun, they are too dangerous to be in Public. Has anybody ever heard of someone using a Car or Truck to Kill?

ComeGet

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2015
    John Lott was on with Larry O'Connor this afternoon and said that in CT and IL where they have had red flag laws for some time, there is no empirical evidence that they have had any effect on crime. At all.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    John Lott was on with Larry O'Connor this afternoon and said that in CT and IL where they have had red flag laws for some time, there is no empirical evidence that they have had any effect on crime. At all.

Of course they haven’t. There’s no way to tell, just like there wasn’t with FSA2013. We can’t look into a crystal ball and predict what crime would’ve been stopped. There is no Minority Report.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    If this happens, there will be a day when every gun owner who wants to keep his guns is deemed too crazy to have them for the same reason.

If anyone thinks that's a joke, look at the rhetoric. The left already ̶t̶h̶i̶n̶k̶s̶
    ̶ believes we're crazy.

FIFY

"Thinking" is not what they do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom