• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    In today's mail, I just got an unsolicited letter from Congressman Andy Harris on gun control issues... thought I would share. This was an official letter on his Congressional letterhead, not a campaign letter. (I re-typed this, so any typographical errors are mine and not the Congressman's).

Dear Dr. M.,

We have previously corresponded on gun rights, so I am writing to update you regarding the rising prominence of gun control proposals. Many Members of Congress support an "Assault weapons ban," and , for one bill pending in the House of Representatives, a mandatory gun buyback which includes criminal prosecution of those who fail to comply.

While I am committed to preventing gun violence, I remain a strong advocate for our Second Amendment rights. I agree with Samuel Adams, who one said, "The Constitution shall be never construed to authorize Congress... to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms."

Unfortunately, many of my liberal colleagues support a ban on "assault weapons," despite millions of Americans owning these popular semi-automatic rifles. (Advocates of a ban often refer to "assault rifles" as weapons of war as if they are automatic machine guns - which, of course, they are not.) S. 66, the Assault Weapons Ban of 2019, would make it a crime to sell, transfer, or possess an "assault weapon" or large capacity magazine, with grandfather exceptions for those already owned. Supporters include: Sen. Ben Cardin (D-MD); Sen. Check Schumer (D-NY); Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT); Sen. Kamala Harris (D-CA); Sen. Cory Booker (D-NJ); Sen. Chris van Hollen (D-MD); Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA); and Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-MN).

Additionally, Congressman Eric Swalwell (D-CA) introduced H.R. 2959, the Freedom from Assault Weapons Act, which would also ban assault weapons and large capacity magazines, and establish a mandatory buyback program for the millions already owned. Those later found in possession of these weapons or magazines would be subject to criminal prosecution.

My record is clear on defending Americans' right to own these popular firearms. An arbitrary ban based solely on the appearance of a firearm is no way to prevent gun violence. For example, we know that "assault weapons" do no kill hundreds of people on the streets of Baltimore each year, and banning their possession would thus do nothing to alleviate the problem. This shallow political posturing fails to address actual causes of gun violence, prevent crime or better provide psychiatric care for those in need. Congress must better address the causes of violence, care for the mentally ill, enforcement of the laws already on the books, and fully prosecute violent criminals illegally using firearms.

I hope this information has been helpful. As Congress addresses the many challenges facing our nation, I hope you will continue to share your suggestions. To keep up with my work in Congress, sign up to receive updates at harris.house.gov/contact/newsletter. Should you wish to unsubscribe from my newsletter, you may follow the same link.

Sincerely,

Andy Harris, M.D.

Member of Congress

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    I actually got a letter just like that from him 2 weeks ago

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Andy gets it but "Sen. Ben Cardin (D-MD); Sen. Check Schumer (D-NY); Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT); Sen. Kamala Harris (D-CA); Sen. Cory Booker (D-NJ); Sen. Chris van Hollen (D-MD); Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA); and Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-MN)", all seem to place more value on politics than they do on truth.

Sirex