• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Once.
    Not indoors.
    Probably 10 or 11 on the family farm carrying a .22 rifle.
    Scared the crap out of me. I would have sworn safety on and finger nowhere near trigger.

revobreaker

Nov 13, 2011
    SOMD
    On the range I was trying to feel the trigger reset on my ppq and immediately set off another round 5 feet in front of the target.

Also stupid, I put a 9mm mag into a m&p 40. Sounded like a squib I immediately knew my mistake.

Various bouts of stupidity with bb/airsoft guns and paintball markers

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    Well I started this thread so I might as well admit to what happened.

I thought I was the safest guy in the world when it comes to handling firearms. Always checking and double checking even when I know it's unloaded. Today I was changing the grip module on a P320 Sig Sauer and after reassembling the gun the trigger wasn't setting. After racking the slide a few times it started to work. I racked it a few more times just to make sure everything was functional. Once satisfied that everything was working, I inserted a loaded mag which is how I was going to store the gun in the safe. No round in the chamber. Stupid idea right there. If the gun is needed for HD and I've got time to open the safe, I've got time to slip in a mag. Anyway, for some reason I decided to check that trigger function one more time and racked the slide and pulled the trigger. I had the gun pointed down towards the floor and the bullet went through both sides of an empty ammo can and into the wall. Luckily it hit the wall stud on edge and didn't go any further. I still find it hard to believe that I did something so careless and absent minded.

Last edited:

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Thankfully, no. I am prone to doing stupid shit absentminded stuff tho, so I tend to triple check myself and keep live ammo and loaded mags out of reach when doing any assembly or function checks. HD pistols are stored with loaded mags inserted, but not chambered and go instantly into quick-access safes when I put the mag in so I'm not tempted to tinker any more.

I carry chambered (out of state permit), but no unholstering or other handling until its time to put it away or God forbid... use it.

Dave's painful looking leg shots (pun intended ;)) reminded me of this:

And for those who have never seen it, link to the unfunny, unedited version: https://youtu.be/paxk_LPmdMI

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Never in my house.

Once when I was 18, I was at an indoor range with two of my friends, and we had just stopped shooting my 10/22. I was getting ready to bag it up, and did my usual "trigger pull" to assure it was empty. It wasn't. However, I was smart enough to always keep the muzzle down range. Scared/surprised the crap out of me, but nothing un-safe. It was then that I started visually inspecting as well.

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    Thankfully, no. I am prone to doing stupid shit absentminded stuff tho, so I tend to triple check myself and keep live ammo and loaded mags out of reach when doing any assembly or function checks. HD pistols are stored with loaded mags inserted, but not chambered and go instantly into quick-access safes when I put the mag in so I'm not tempted to tinker any more.

I carry chambered (out of state permit), but no unholstering or other handling until its time to put it away or God forbid... use it.

Dave's painful looking leg shots (pun intended ;)) reminded me of this:

And for those who have never seen it, link to the unfunny, unedited version: https://youtu.be/paxk_LPmdMI

I cant say that's "funny" but damn it made me laugh.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Not sure if this qualifies for the thread but here goes...

Back in Bad Kreuznach, Germany we were qualifying on M60 machine guns, mounted on tripods and using T&E mechanisms. I was safety NCO behind the firing line. One of the gunners/assistant gunner experienced a runaway M60, they both got up from it backing away; and then it disconnected from the T&E, and kept shooting and started to swivel sideways. I was close enough; ran up and broke the belt from it before it almost strafed everyone on the right.

This thread reminded me to put a note on my muzzleloader; I still have a saboted bullet and charge in it. Normally I keep everything unloaded except for a pistol; but the muzzle loader was an exception from hunting this late last fall. Need to get it out and discharge it.

Jarhead FLSTI

Aug 31, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    The closest for me was after returning from a trip to Florida where I did a lot of shooting. I unloaded all of my guns in Florida, emptied all magazines and then cased up the guns. When I got home and started cleaning them before putting everything in the safe I did one more check. I still had a round chambered in my G20c. Thankfully I did the right thing by checking but it still scared me knowing that you have to pull the trigger on Glocks to disassemble them.

When I was 16 one of my friends was pointing a .22 at me and playfully saying he was going to shoot me in the nuts. I called him an f'in idiot and told him to point it somewhere else. He responded "It's empty, see?" and then shot me in the leg. If it hadn't hurt so bad I would have shot him back!

Gun safety is IMPORTANT. I've been taught this since I was a young kid and it was reiterated so often when I was in the Marines that hopefully I will always check, double check, KNOW FOR SURE it's empty...

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    Knock on wood, I've never had a AD/ND. Previously I kept all my 1911's in Condition 3. However, being the geezer that I am and having Arthritis in my hands, I now keep my 1911's in Condition 1

I utilize a clearing trap and Ear Protection........just in case. :innocent0

Attachments

• Trap.jpg
      Trap.jpg
      90.7 KB · Views: 359

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    Knock on wood, I've never had a AD/ND. Previously I kept all my 1911's in Condition 3. However, being the geezer that I am and having Arthritis in my hands, I now keep my 1911's in Condition 1

I utilize a clearing trap and Ear Protection........just in case. :innocent0

Nice clearing trap. Thanks for picturing it! Looks like they go for $175.00. I guess they never go on sale?

n0manarmy

Jan 9, 2019
    I'll fess up.

My EDC is a Shield PC. Originally bought a 9mm, sure enough, few months later the .45acp Shield PC was released and blessed by MSP on the roster. So I bought the .45, but still have the 9mm loaded in the safe. I am VERY familiar with the Shield. I took the 9mm from the safe, dropped the mag, and went to rack the slide to clear chamber. I KNEW I had a loaded firearm in my hands. I am not 100% sure what happened, but lost grip on the slide as I pulled it back. I will at this point say with 99% certainty I was no where near the trigger, but as slide went back into battery the round went off. Hollow point struck the corner of the door of the safe and disintegrated. Jacket ended up on the floor, thank God I followed the key points of firearm safety, and muzzle was pointed down and into the safe. Other than the shock of 9mm inside, and minor damage to corner of safe door, there was no damage. I assume the HP saved me from a round going through safe, I dont know what a ball round would have done. Ricochet?

I say 99% finger was know where near trigger, but could not get either Shield to duplicate firing pin drop, with partial slide pull back and release. So is the 1% a finger getting to trigger?

I almost didn't want to reply, admit to this because it is embarrassing as hell. BUT, goes to prove key safety rules importance, muzzle in safe direction. I intentionally keep muzzle pointed into safe, as that seems to be the best place as I have no clearing trap.

So after I determined everything was ok, I did an inspection of safe contents, one poly mag was hit, (it was in a pocket on door) but no firearms were struck by slugs of fragments that I could tell. So all and all about as good on a AD as I could expect.

Some of us newbies are reading this and learning lessons from the others, so don't be ashamed.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I was installing a new barrel on my 10/22, I wanted to make sure the extractor and cut out were lined up and I didn't have any 22 snap caps. I put a live round in the chamber with out the trigger housing or stock on, just the receiver and barrel. I let the slide go and pop. 22 into the wall. No one was hurt the muzzle was pointed down, it hit a stud, and that was it. Wife was pissed though. Apparently the 10/22 is designed to pick the round up off the mag and it will ride up into the recess of the bolt. The bolt edge must have hit the rim and set it off. Now I have snap caps for all calibers that I own. Never though that would have happened with no trigger or hammer installed but after doing some research it makes sense why it happened. I told my wife not to tell anyone...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom