• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shane762

Jan 2, 2011
    New Market, MD
    I've got a question that's almost certainly been answered elsewhere but I just haven't seen it.
    What is required to pick these up once it arrives to my local dealer? My number is only about 20 higher than the ones mentioned yesterday on the CMP forum as having been called.
    I have an 03 FFL but (for various reasons) don't have a copy of my current license. I have requested a new copy from the ATF but they've advised that it might be a few weeks before I receive it.
    Without the FFL do I need an HQL? If so I will may just decline if/when I get the call.

Thanks.

Jul 1, 2012
    Your FFL-03 is meaningless in this situation so no worries there.
    No HQL required to get it from your FFL-01 dealer since it is a C&R eligible pistol, but you have to go thru the whole 77R rigamarole.
    Just make sure to check the HQL exemption for C&R on the 77R

Shane762

Jan 2, 2011
    New Market, MD
    No HQL required to get it from your FFL-01 dealer since it is a C&R eligible pistol, but you have to go thru the whole 77R rigamarole.
    Ah, that was it. I knew C&R entered into it somehow I just couldn't remember the specifics. Thank you very much.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County

The C&R isn't relevant for the transaction itself, but as a C&R holder, aren't you required to log all acquisitions and dispositions of C&R firearms in your bound book during the term of the license, no matter how acquired or disposed of?

Shane762

Jan 2, 2011
    New Market, MD
    Looks like my timing was just about right. I got the call yesterday afternoon. Selected a Field grade which should ship out either Thursday or Monday.
    I'm having it transfered to the Machine Gun Nest in Frederick. When I confirmed it with the very nice lady at the CMP she Said "Oh yeah, we've sent about a dozen there already. Sounds like a lot of CMP .45s in the Frederick area.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    yes, it would need to be logged in the bound book.

This. Also you need to give your FFL-01 a copy of your FFL for their books. Or at least your FFL number. To properly log it, they should be entering your FFL information and not your name and address. I mean, I don’t think they’ll get in to crap with the ATF on a bound book audit, but if done properly a C&R firearm should have your FFL information in the FFL-01’s bound book even though by MD law you get no special treatment.

A suggestion once you finally get a copy of your FFL from the ATF, take a picture of it with your phone or a camera. Save it to a computer and/or phone. Print a couple copies and keep them unsigned laying around.

I keep one in my night stand with my HQL for any shopping trips to take along. A copy on my phone to email or print if needed. And a copy in my glove box for the spur of the moment shopping trips. The later did save my bacon once when I’d forgotten to take a copy to a gun show and found a nice Colt OP I wanted.

firemanyz

MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Looks like my timing was just about right. I got the call yesterday afternoon. Selected a Field grade which should ship out either Thursday or Monday.
    I'm having it transfered to the Machine Gun Nest in Frederick. When I confirmed it with the very nice lady at the CMP she Said "Oh yeah, we've sent about a dozen there already. Sounds like a lot of CMP .45s in the Frederick area.

What was your number? I’m close, I am 17557 and patiently waiting. I’m pretty sure if offered everything I’m going to select a field grade. Maybe they will call tomorrow on my daughters birthday.

Shane762

Jan 2, 2011
    New Market, MD
    Could be. They seem to be rolling through the numbers at a decent clip. I think it took them a while to get the process down but they've got it now.
    I'm curious if we'll see a new lottery announcement anytime soon since they're getting close to the end of the RNGs.

FFBWMD

Industry Partner
    Oct 3, 2011
    Woodbine MD
    Could be. They seem to be rolling through the numbers at a decent clip. I think it took them a while to get the process down but they've got it now.
    I'm curious if we'll see a new lottery announcement anytime soon since they're getting close to the end of the RNGs.

Fingers crossed..LOL I'd love to get another one.

Jul 1, 2012
    I thought the 1911's are a one per-lifetime deal? (at least from CMP... you can buy as many as you want on the secondary market of course).

This. Also you need to give your FFL-01 a copy of your FFL for their books. Or at least your FFL number. To properly log it, they should be entering your FFL information and not your name and address. I mean, I don’t think they’ll get in to crap with the ATF on a bound book audit, but if done properly a C&R firearm should have your FFL information in the FFL-01’s bound book even though by MD law you get no special treatment.

I have never heard of this. Since the MD FFL is "disposing" to you as Joe Citizen of MD and you're filling out a 4473 (and 77R) it doesn't make sense to me to treat it as a disposition to another FFL in their bound book. It wouldn't match the other records. For a long gun it makes sense if the FFL transfers to you directly on your FFL-03 w/o the 4473, but it doesn't make sense for a handgun. Then again, logic isn't always logical I guess :)

firemanyz

MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    I thought the 1911's are a one per-lifetime deal? (at least from CMP... you can buy as many as you want on the secondary market of course).

It has been said you can only get one from the first “list”. It was said on the CMP forum that once the first list is expired everyone was allowed to submit for the second set of numbers.

Blazer

Oct 29, 2020
    CMP Pistol

I received my CMP 1911 today after a 21 day wait. MSP clerks kicking back, the last time saying it wasn't on the Handgun Roster! Brandi of Bollingers Gunsmithing finally got it resolved, Thanks Brandi!

I got the call from CMP the end of last month. Three grades were available, Service, Rack and Field. I went with Service. According to CMP the gun was delivered to Springfield Armory between January 5th and 25th, 1944. It is a Colt frame with a Remington Rand slide. The barrel is of post WWII manufacture and it has the contract number on the barrel hood beneath 45ACP.
    It doesn't look like it left the armory after being parkerized. There are not even handling marks on it.

Shane762

Jan 2, 2011
    New Market, MD

I got my shipping notice about an hour ago. Unfortunately the email doesn't list the serial number but I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

Shane762

Jan 2, 2011
    New Market, MD
    I got my shipping notice about an hour ago. Unfortunately the email doesn't list the serial number but I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

I went over to TMGN this afternoon and filled out the paperwork and looked it over.
    It's a Remington Rand with an Ithaca slide. I didn't spend much time looking it over so I'm not sure about any other parts on it.
    At the risk of sounding like a real whiner I'm a bit underwhelmed. I had been leary of getting one when all the pictures I saw were of freshly parked, light gray, heavily sandblasted guns. Then lately there's been lots of people getting great looking Field grade guns with nice looking finishes. Good condition guns but with some character to them. So I look at mine and it's a freshly parked (yet scratched up) medium gray, sandblasted gun.
    It's not that it doesn't meet the CMPs description. In fact it well exceeds it. It's just that it's a gun with lots of history that's had all it's character sandblasted and parkerized away.
    Anyway, I'm done complaining. I'll bring it home and see if I warm up to it. If not I shouldn't have too much trouble getting my money back out of it.

Attachments

• IMG_20201030_162007.jpg
      IMG_20201030_162007.jpg
      98.7 KB · Views: 260
    • IMG_20201030_161945.jpg
      IMG_20201030_161945.jpg
      78.1 KB · Views: 264
    • IMG_20201030_161932.jpg
      IMG_20201030_161932.jpg
      69.7 KB · Views: 264
    • IMG_20201030_162818.jpg
      IMG_20201030_162818.jpg
      41.4 KB · Views: 279

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    I didn’t put in for these when the app period was open, and kinda regretted not doing so this whole time. Well the other week I came across a post on another gun forum, a guy’s number came up and he received a service grade but he was not happy with it.....he had expected a 1911 and not a 1911A1. Long story short, I offered to take it off his hands. It arrived today with all paperwork etc and I am happy with it. ‘44 RR frame and Colt slide. Should be a fine shooter.

Attachments

• DDC29BB1-716B-4278-839D-59E91F414EC2.jpg
      DDC29BB1-716B-4278-839D-59E91F414EC2.jpg
      145.2 KB · Views: 208
    • CB830077-2AF1-4A12-AC29-6D52906FDE04.jpg
      CB830077-2AF1-4A12-AC29-6D52906FDE04.jpg
      107.5 KB · Views: 240
    • F57A2D1B-BEE7-4EC3-987A-5262610809C2.jpg
      F57A2D1B-BEE7-4EC3-987A-5262610809C2.jpg
      101.9 KB · Views: 210

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts