• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    A question for you Buckologists.

Do antlers automatically grow bigger in size every year? Or can there be small years and big years for a buck?

Thanks.

Lots of factors influence antler size/shape. Nutrition, age, genetics, and injury status can vary from year to year and with them, so can antlers. A buck's antlers will typically re-grow bigger (and similar) every year until it reaches its prime. At that point, some really cool gnarly stuff (character) can form. Past prime, antler mass tends to decrease.

Not if outrider58 has anything to say about it. They don’t get any older next year.........:D

True, true. Also, outrider58 seems to take them when they're at their peak or just past prime from what I've seen. Hats off ...

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007

Do antlers automatically grow bigger in size every year? Or can there be small years and big years for a buck?

Thanks.

If all things are equal (which they usually aren't) they will have larger racks. Maybe not in points but maybe in mass. But there are so many issues one never knows. Any injury can retard their antler growth, lack of quality foods early spring into the summer months, along with many different environmental issues.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    There's an old saying: Leave some for the rest of us. But he don't play dat.

We have an old saying in my house too. Let the pro's kill the does, act like you been there before, do not forsake but distinguish the bounty that you may be presented and protect it by conserving your resources for times of need or to share what has been bestowed to you only with those who recognize the gift from above, not the simple act of only killing to reach a goal.
    Use the resource to provide an alternative or similar way of thinking with others, if they don't get it, stay the f@#k away from them until they figure it out on their own.
    Natures supermarket can have a cruel checkout line sometimes and the price can often go unrecognized in more ways the one.
    This is just a simple country philosophy on my behalf and not meant to degrade or create controversy or be critical with anybody on this forum. Code of conduct of sorts for me and my redneck ignorant Indians. I know once the gift of nature been mastered, the natural progression of servant leadership evolves on it's own with everyone at some point.
    How we get there and interact with others depends firstly on us, not some mindless critter that cannot reason.

Last edited:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Thanks.

My ears were burning.

Good question. In areas that experience drought such as Texas where they see droughts that last several years to the point the natural browse takes a hit, nutrition of the fauna also suffers. One way that dearth of nutrition is realized is in antler growth. One reason a lot of Texas ranchers institute vigorous nutritional supplementation programs. Deer as well as other species are a very important 'cash crop' in Texas. No one wants to pay big money if they can't hunt big antlers.

In normal situations, A whitetail's antler size will begin to drop off after it passes its prime(5-8 years). The main reason for this is tooth erosion and prevailing diet. The rougher the diet, the harder the wear on a deer's teeth, the earlier the drop-off in that deer's health. A whitetail that dies of old age dies from starvation or the accumulative effects of the inalienability to maintain good nutrition, disease.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    As for shooting lots of does, I wish I had the does to shoot. I don't and haven't for at least the last 6-7 years. I have to hunt my mother's back yard in Olney to get my two does every year. I wish for the days when 'my' farm had does. I would shoot as many as a dozen every year. Maybe take one or two bucks. No worries though, my deer hunting will come to an end in the next couple years. The farm will be put on the market and I will be moving away and I don't see myself landing anywhere like this. It was fun while it lasted.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Heading down to Assateague for a quick Sika hunt this afternoon. Haven't ever got one, so wish me luck :thumbsup:

Hopefully I don't get sand-blasted to death.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    As for shooting lots of does, I wish I had the does to shoot. I don't and haven't for at least the last 6-7 years. I have to hunt my mother's back yard in Olney to get my two does every year. I wish for the days when 'my' farm had does. I would shoot as many as a dozen every year. Maybe take one or two bucks. No worries though, my deer hunting will come to an end in the next couple years. The farm will be put on the market and I will be moving away and I don't see myself landing anywhere like this. It was fun while it lasted.
    Hopefully that day will never come but if it does, maybe another will see that worn tree-bark and take a moment to consider the spirit of what has transpired previously and experience the same good fortune.The place may be loaded to the gills and the circle of continuation will begin again.
    Truly blessed we are by all the success and positive nature of this thread.
    Thank you everybody, but like Mike says no laughing matter with his clan. An example to say off your ass and make it happen when you can, even when its hard.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    My ears were burning.

Good question. In areas that experience drought such as Texas where they see droughts that last several years to the point the natural browse takes a hit, nutrition of the fauna also suffers. One way that dearth of nutrition is realized is in antler growth. One reason a lot of Texas ranchers institute vigorous nutritional supplementation programs. Deer as well as other species are a very important 'cash crop' in Texas. No one wants to pay big money if they can't hunt big antlers.

In normal situations, A whitetail's antler size will begin to drop off after it passes its prime(5-8 years). The main reason for this is tooth erosion and prevailing diet. The rougher the diet, the harder the wear on a deer's teeth, the earlier the drop-off in that deer's health. A whitetail that dies of old age dies from starvation or the accumulative effects of the inalienability to maintain good nutrition, disease.

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

I shot what appeared to be a very mature buck a few years ago. He was huge. With lots of graying around his face. He looked like a grizzled old man. But he had the spindliest eight point rack I'd ever seen.

Baltimore County, twenty five years ago, used to produce bucks with massive antlers. Not now. I'm thinking all of the commercial building and lack of farming had a big impact on the deer.

Mike3888

Mike3888
    Feb 21, 2013
    Dundalk, Md-Mifflin,Pa

I feel for ya on loosing a nice spot. I went through that back in 06-07 I think. Was hunting queenstown harbor since early 90s that place was just magic with it butting up to Nesbit road. The only good outcome if any is now I have a lot of opportunity for sika deer. You'll get a spot for sure.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    We have an old saying in my house too. Let the pro's kill the does, act like you been there before, do not forsake but distinguish the bounty that you may be presented and protect it by conserving your resources for times of need or to share what has been bestowed to you only with those who recognize the gift from above, not the simple act of only killing to reach a goal.
    Use the resource to provide an alternative or similar way of thinking with others, if they don't get it, stay the f@#k away from them until they figure it out on their own.
    Natures supermarket can have a cruel checkout line sometimes and the price can often go unrecognized in more ways the one.
    This is just a simple country philosophy on my behalf and not meant to degrade or create controversy or be critical with anybody on this forum. Code of conduct of sorts for me and my redneck ignorant Indians. I know once the gift of nature been mastered, the natural progression of servant leadership evolves on it's own with everyone at some point.
    How we get there and interact with others depends firstly on us, not some mindless critter that cannot reason.

Somebody is getting deep, real deep, this morning. Now, I need some Advil.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll

I am sure you already know this, but enjoy it while you can. Lost one of my prime hunting spots in Washington County because he sold the farm for $1,000,000. Sadly, my brothers and I did not have that kind of coin back then. Now, we might have been able to put an offer together. I know that the owner of the place I hunt in HoCo is talking about selling now. Just have to figure out if I can put something together to buy the place, and then debate whether I want to buy it because 1) it is in HoCo and 2) it is surrounded by homes that are PITA when I am hunting.

Decisions, decisions

Mike3888

Mike3888
    Feb 21, 2013
    Dundalk, Md-Mifflin,Pa
    Nice PA buck that has made it. A couple others are coming in but this was the biggest.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      72.4 KB · Views: 105

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I've got the morning off, so I'm gonna freeze my nuts off in the stand tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom