• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I would love to take krav but there aren't any around me. Don't have time for an hour round trip during the week and if I'm paying that kind of money I don't want to only go on weekends

Anywhere near Owings Mills or the Armory at JHU (3400 N. Charles St)?

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    Anywhere near Owings Mills or the Armory at JHU (3400 N. Charles St)?

I've never been to one of their classes nor have I been past there in a while but there is a Krav studio on owing a mills blvd.

Krav Maga Md
    11299 OM blvd @ Crandall lane

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    As a life long practitioner of martial arts, I find Krav Maga interesting. Although I've never taken it, I plan on it one day. But, like others, I can't find the time to travel extended distances with a busy family life. There are alternatives though and I think any training will provide some benefit.

I personally train in Muay Thai, BJJ, and Combat Submission Wrestling. I think KM will add a new dynamic to my attack/defense repertoire. But, I think I am quite capable at the moment. :)

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    As a life long practitioner of martial arts, I find Krav Maga interesting. Although I've never taken it, I plan on it one day. But, like others, I can't find the time to travel extended distances with a busy family life. There are alternatives though and I think any training will provide some benefit.

I personally train in Muay Thai, BJJ, and Combat Submission Wrestling. I think KM will add a new dynamic to my attack/defense repertoire. But, I think I am quite capable at the moment. :)

I'm no expert whatsoever on other forms of martial arts, but I do know enough about myself to know that some of the more "technical" (for lack of a better term) forms of martial arts wouldn't work for me. I just don't do well with things that require tons of specific techniques like those required in BJJ.

KM worked for me because there were simple things to do, and at the end of the day, anything that you did was right as long as you won.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    My oldest son started KM about 4 years ago. He took to it like a duck in water. He thought it should be offered as a class in college. Everyone should know how to defend themselves and get out of trouble.

Good Stuff!
    Jim Smith

vinjet700

No one of significance
    Mar 1, 2013
    State of absolute disgust
    I'm no expert whatsoever on other forms of martial arts, but I do know enough about myself to know that some of the more "technical" (for lack of a better term) forms of martial arts wouldn't work for me. I just don't do well with things that require tons of specific techniques like those required in BJJ.

KM worked for me because there were simple things to do, and at the end of the day, anything that you did was right as long as you won.

I feel the same. I tried various MA years ago and the "techniques" never clicked. But working with the philosophy of "anything that you did was right as long as you won." works better for me. :thumbsup:

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland

Agreed! BJJ can be a chess-match for sure and some of the moves are quite technical and more suited for competition, but it can be quite effective. That's another reason I want to take KM... Just straight-up "destroy". :)

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I've never been to one of their classes nor have I been past there in a while but there is a Krav studio on owing a mills blvd.

Krav Maga Md
    11299 OM blvd @ Crandall lane

I know where it is at, I was asking GrimReaper if he was near either one.

Sharpeneddark

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    Westminster
    I'd like to take some KM classes, but I think I need to work on my body strength first. I can't stand gyms, so I feel that I'd waste my time until I'm back in shape.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I'd like to take some KM classes, but I think I need to work on my body strength first. I can't stand gyms, so I feel that I'd waste my time until I'm back in shape.

No strength requirement needed, and as you do it, you get stronger.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011

Cop out......don't be that guy. Go, participate, better yourself and enjoy!!

I hike 3-5 miles a day before work while walking a chihuahua. I pass tons of hotties walking hounds and pits, don't care cuz I'm out there enjoying myself!

britishjohnhall

My wife and I tried out the one in DC. We got a groupon for a free trial. It was freakin awesome! The quality of instructors was excellent. They only reason I haven't taken it up is the cost.
    There was a guy in Waldorf who started teaching it, but his teaching skills left something to be desired. He definitely wasn't affiliated with any Krav Maga associations.

gjohnsonoc

Feb 18, 2013
    OCMD
    There is a seminar on October 20 here in Ocean City does anyone know what it would take to get certified teacher to teach a class closer to Salisbury Ocean city area. Who could I contact?

Armati

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 6, 2013
    Baltimore
    Just two cents, but I am (among other things) an Army Combatives Instructor (Level 4). I also train at an MMA gym and train separately in Gi BJJ and Dutch style Muay Thai.

Consider the combatives systems used by other countries that have effective combatives programs. The US Army uses a mixed system based on wrestling, boxing, Muay Thai, Judo and BJJ. The Russians have been using SAMBO since 1932. The Chinese use Sanshou. The Koreans, a militarized version of Taekwondo. The Royal Thai Army, Lerdrit. Boxing and wrestling are thousands of years old. Greek Pankration is possibly 3000 years old and all of it's techniques would be familiar to a modern MMA fighter. There is nothing new under the sun. Man has had a head, torso, and four limbs since the beginning. Most of the old techniques survived the centuries because they worked. Keep in mind, most of these styles developed out of life-or-death military necessity - not sports competition. They later became sports.

What all of these styles offer is the ability to train soldiers, at combat speed, against a resistive opponent who will move and fight back. Lethal techniques can be scaled to minimize injury but still effectively drilled to instill muscle memory. One of the problems I have seen in Krav is it based on single techniques drilled against opponents who seem to just stand there and not moving or offering any resistance. If you are not doing live sparring at combat speed, you are only practicing theory of what 'might' happen in a real fight.

I would caution anyone getting into Krav to seriously think why they are dropping that sort of coin on this particular school of thought. Is it because Krav is really that effective, or are you enamored by IDF lineage?

Last edited:

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Have been wanting to take Krav Maga lessons but am not sure if there are legal ramifications to learning it? In the event of an altercation and I end up hurting somedoby in my or my wife's defense, would I or my skill be considered a lethal weapon?

I don't think these conversations need to be had. You do what you have to do to ensure your own safety and worry about the ramifications afterward. If the amount of force you used is appropriate, and you and your family are safe, then you will still sleep well at night.

That said, anyone know of any Krav Maga schools near Harford County? I want my daughter to be proficient in something before she can date....

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Have been wanting to take Krav Maga lessons but am not sure if there are legal ramifications to learning it? In the event of an altercation and I end up hurting somedoby in my or my wife's defense, would I or my skill be considered a lethal weapon?

No more legal reifications than learning a martial art.

A quick read on the subject: http://www.fightingarts.com/reading/article.php?id=460

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom