• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Hey, I know that the star BM isn’t C&R yet and the B is. Has anyone tried both? It’ll probably be awhile before I can buy anymore guns as my C&R license is supposedly in the mail and I know the couple I am going to buy right away.

But I see that Star Bs can be had for a little under $300 in some cases and a BM is $199 right now (plus figure $50 transfer fee and some shipping). I’ve been trying to read up on issues and I hear some Bs have extractor issues because of being Russian capture and bad fitment. Also B magazines...what is the deal with that? Get one, figure out what style it takes and then track them down?

Does the BM have the same issue? Or does it use one magazine across the line?

I’d love to have a 1911 inspired 9mm, especially for pretty cheap, at some point. But I’d prefer not to be stuck with super expensive magazines and no replacement parts if it ever breaks.

At least the two C&Rs I am looking at getting first, an m57 and P64 seem to have a fair amount of parts offering and they take one standard mag across their production run (and not especially expensive magazine either)

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    Last edited:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Thanks! True, but some stuff there is a lot of NOS spare parts available or reproduction stuff made. Yes, I realize something like an M1 Garand or carbine is a whole different animal compared to a handgun where 100 or 200k were made 40 or 50 or 60 years ago.

I was surprised Nunerich has a lot of stuff for my Winchester 370, which only had a run of about 4 years in the 60s. Call it a decade with the model 7 which have many parts in common. No idea on numbers, but I can’t imagine it was more than a couple of hundred thousand of those made.

But yeah. I may some day, need to step up my fabrication skills.

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    I had a Star BM for a number of years. I purchased it from J&G when I lived in AZ ($159 +tax). It was my perfect "truck pistol" for a lot of the time... ate all the ball ammo I ever gave it, went bang every time I pulled the trigger, and accurate out to the 7 yards or so I expect from a defensive pistol, and I wasn't going to cry if it got stolen from my truck. The rear sights are small... and something of a joke... but it's not intended to be a target pistol. My FiL's Model B had extractor issues. Apparently this got solved (at least on my unit) in the BM... I hope this helps.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Thanks! It sounds kind of like I may be best off with a BM. I may call a couple of folks and see if they have one and/or what they’ll do for transfer fees on one. I am not in a big hurry. More that if the stars align and I have the spare cash burning a hole in my pocket in a couple of months.

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    2A had one when I was in there Thursday for $270.

I looked at one earlier. Good shape overall. The finish was freckled but it was not a new gun. Holster wear and little sign it had been shot much if at all.

My sticking points with this gun are that parts are difficult to find, it's heavy for its size, and it only holds 8+1. If you look around you might find another mag for $20 - but most are closer to $30. If I order an extractor, spare mag, recoil spring and firing pin i'd be in for another $100. Then you're left with a gun that is much heavier than any similar sized 9mm and holds fewer rounds.

They supposedly have good triggers, are reliable (including some hollow points), are mild shooters and are accurate. I have not shot one so I can't confirm any of that.

So it all comes down to why you want one. It might be a great beater gun if you're on a serious budget. Or it would be great gun if you're looking to enjoy the history of the days of wood and steel. Or for a CCW gun for a 1911 lover. Or if you get dermatitis from polymer.

I would predict that this gun, like every other surplus gun, will shoot up in price when the supply dries up.

I may still end up getting one soon.

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    Yes, the BM is on the heavy side. The frame is all steel. That's why I left it in my truck. The all steel frame made for a very pleasant shooting gun though... not that 9mm is all that recoil heavy to begin with. I agree though, if you're in a locale that offers CCW, there are other more lightweight options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom