Anyone Know Where To Shoot in Montg. County?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    I have a Beretta 92 air pistol I'd love to shoot recreationally in Montgomery County. Is there anywhere outdoors in the county where it would be legal to shoot? There are a number of trails next to creeks where I seldom see anyone. These are off of public trails where there would be no danger of stray shots to anyone on the trail itself, or anywhere for that matter.

I sure miss Kentucky, where there were many such places. And if one did end up in a place where it was prohibited, a cop might show up and just tell you that you had to find somewhere else to plink. If the cop was strict, you'd have to put your air pistol or rifle in your trunk, unloaded, while he watched, and move on.

In Maryland, I think they'd confiscate your air gun and charge you with a felony.

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    If you're on private property, you can shoot it if you are in the designated "rural" area of MoCo. Mostly the North and West sections. Other than that, maybe set up a pellet trap in your basement?

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I have a Beretta 92 air pistol I'd love to shoot recreationally in Montgomery County. Is there anywhere outdoors in the county where it would be legal to shoot? There are a number of trails next to creeks where I seldom see anyone. These are off of public trails where there would be no danger of stray shots to anyone on the trail itself, or anywhere for that matter.

I sure miss Kentucky, where there were many such places. And if one did end up in a place where it was prohibited, a cop might show up and just tell you that you had to find somewhere else to plink. If the cop was strict, you'd have to put your air pistol or rifle in your trunk, unloaded, while he watched, and move on.

In Maryland, I think they'd confiscate your air gun and charge you with a felony.

Show that outside in MoCo and you'll get a "Man with a gun." called in and you might get shot by the first responders before you could explain it is just a pellet gun. You will definitely have plenty of company headed your way.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Hmmmm...naw, I'll just paint the top of the barrel orange!

Actually, you're right. Anyone know how Maryland cops feel about the state's gun laws?

radial

Nov 23, 2011
    Boyds
    Anyone know how Maryland cops feel about the state's gun laws?

Not really. But I wouldn't count on random cops to put your desire to violate the laws they are charged with enforcing ahead of their obligation to enforce those laws, no matter how ridiculous they might be. Maybe it's different for cops, but every place I've ever worked, you get ahead by doing the things they assign you to do, not by picking and choosing.

Don't get me wrong. I totally sympathize with your lament. Living in MOCO sucks donkey balls. Fortunately for me, I live in the part of MOCO where it's legal to fire my pellet guns in the back yard. But if I lived closer in, I guess I would do as the Romans do.

c4snipar

Ultimate Member
    Jul 21, 2014
    Montgomery County, MD
    If you're on private property, you can shoot it if you are in the designated "rural" area of MoCo. Mostly the North and West sections. Other than that, maybe set up a pellet trap in your basement?

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

You Can't do, especially in city of Rockville, against city ordnance

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    Or you could join the Izaak Walton League of Rockville. There is a range near the intersection of Clopper Road and Warring Station road. You can shoot BB, Pistol, rifle etc.

GunnerGunz

Sunken Treasure
    Mar 2, 2010
    Reisterstown
    Bingo! I've done this. Build a trap(or buy one) and have at it. I used to sit on my couch watching TV and shoot mice with my S&W 22 pellet pistol. Great fun.

LOL great sport, now I want to open a small hole for them to enter my house and it's open season. No need for the mouse trap anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom