• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OldGunner

Jan 17, 2010
    Suppose someone forgot to send in their $10 Maryland machine gun registration renewal? What's the penalty?

I've never heard this question or topic discussed before.

Enfield303

Feb 12, 2011
    Harford County
    I forgot the State's unusual May 31st deadline this year so I mailed a paper copy plus my check the second week of June with a short note. They cashed my check and I have never heard anything more from MSP. I guess I am ok. It's a felony and ten years in jail if you don't register, according to the information on the renewal form.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    I forgot the State's unusual May 31st deadline this year so I mailed a paper copy plus my check the second week of June with a short note. They cashed my check and I have never heard anything more from MSP. I guess I am ok. It's a felony and ten years in jail if you don't register, according to the information on the renewal form.
    Don't ya know that a reply like this is supposed to start out with "I know a guy who forgot the State's..." :lol2:

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    I would just send it in now and move on. Better to comply late than not at all.

Side story. I was talking with an FFL/SOT years ago and he told me that one of his customers had not registered his MGs for 7 years. So no one at MSP ever noticed this lack of filing for years. The FFL/SOT made a call to one of his friendly contacts at MSP and was able to get those registrations quietly submitted. Nothing ever happened to the individual. My take away from the incident, the folks at MSP are not looking to hurt law abiding owners, especially over clerical errors. Your mileage may vary.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    My take is this. I think your friends registration was lost in the mail this year! If MSP does not agree, prove otherwise in a court please! It would be very hard without a confession. One could easily buy a $10 MO and mail in the registration and have it lost in the mail without him ever knowing it.

I don't think it makes any sense to send it in late with a notice ADMITTING to a felony or at least admitting to not following the law. That could be used against him now or later if they wanted to...

I would just remind your friend that sometimes USPS loses mail and that MO he bought with cash and did not keep the receipt for. Next year make sure it gets mailed in a bit early to give USPS more time as they are not very good at their job.

Thats my 2 cents.... worth what you paid for it. He surely is not the first and will not be the last. I would love to see how this registration would hold up in court... Seriously, forgetting to do something is now a criminal act. What if you are in a comma for a year?

My guess is that MSP feels much like they did on the spent shell case from each handgun... just a PITA for them. However since they get a $10 check out of each... they just need to open mail and cash checks to get the money. Thats even easier than writing speeding tickets. One should always follow the law but this is one pointless law. ATF has all the info if MSP needs it.

OldGunner

Jan 17, 2010
    To be clear, I did register but I've always wondered what the penalty would be.

As someone mentioned that the State Police didn't notice a lack of registration. I have a story. A couple years ago, when they were accepting online renewals, I had renewed online. When I went to pay the next year, I could see online that my renewal was still pending (from the previous year). The person a the office told me they were understaffed and hadn't processed them after an entire year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom