• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dizzle

Jan 27, 2018
    Where can I find a HBAR complete upper or complete rifle with an MLOK lightweight handguard for a decent price? I'm not really into building anything but I'm not against having one built as long as it has a decent warranty and great performance. 223 WYLDE preferred...

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Palmetto State Armory, MidwayUSA, Brownells, cdnnsports.com, couple other places. Google search in order. Lower priced units are not always upper tier parts but will get you started. As an FYI, many of the deals with free float hand guards are with the older bulkier larger outer diameter handguards...so if the deal looks real good, look again.

If you have one built by one of the several industry leaders you can get what you want and have it set up and fitted properly. Going that route will get where you really want to be (if you truly know all the details desired) but will cost a little more initially. For me, building one is when I know exactly what I want. Starting out in a platform I will generally buy a standard configuration, shoot it and determine what I want to change and then change it. I did buy a LWRC DI PC because I recognized it had what I wanted and was well priced...well almost. I did change the buttstock.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Palmetto State Armory, MidwayUSA, Brownells, cdnnsports.com, couple other places. Google search in order. Lower priced units are not always upper tier parts but will get you started. As an FYI, many of the deals with free float hand guards are with the older bulkier larger outer diameter handguards...so if the deal looks real good, look again.

If you have one built by one of the several industry leaders you can get what you want and have it set up and fitted properly. Going that route will get where you really want to be (if you truly know all the details desired) but will cost a little more initially. For me, building one is when I know exactly what I want. Starting out in a platform I will generally buy a standard configuration, shoot it and determine what I want to change and then change it. I did buy a LWRC DI PC because I recognized it had what I wanted and was well priced...well almost. I did change the buttstock.

This is an excellent answer. Couldn't have said it any better. :thumbsup:

Dizzle

Jan 27, 2018
    I'm aware of most of the things your talking about that's why I came on the forum to ask about something maybe other people have experience with. Maybe someone can share a link or title specifically aimed at what I'm looking for something lightweight with a heavy barrel 16-18" a complete rifle would be ideal. I have never built one and I'm interested in a good warranty so I don't have to deal with large issues down the road...

Dizzle

Jan 27, 2018
    Why do all of you guys act like I have not looked anywhere for one? I'm asking for someone with some experience buying one that was a sweet deal for the money and ran flawlessly with an excellent warranty....

GottaEat

Aug 24, 2014
    SOMD
    If you are near Gym Ratz, stop by there and see what they have. John usually has a Rugur or Stag in the more budget friendly range and a few LWRC and Daniel Defence in more of a mid price range. His inventory changes quit a bit so call ahead. Without a specific budget it’s not easy to tell you what to get. Everyone’s taste is a little different.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    Why do all of you guys act like I have not looked anywhere for one? I'm asking for someone with some experience buying one that was a sweet deal for the money and ran flawlessly with an excellent warranty....

My son picked up a Colt 6920HBPW at Engage. Great rifle for the money and reliable. Runs flawlessly.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Whatever you get, for additional peace of mind, SOTAR will do complete upper inspections and minor repair work for a reasonable price. They might even do whole rifle work these days, but complete lowers are pretty easy to troubleshoot/inspect on your own. As a matter of routine, I take all my complete AR uppers, including ones from Colt to SOTAR to get them up to spec.

SOTAR is in the MDS IP section, and the proprietor, Clandestine, is pretty active on the forum.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

freebird

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 11, 2013

Because there's a SHT TON of options, deals change daily, models are in and out of stock, and we a) don't know what you want and b) don't know how much you can spend.

$2,500 will get you a gun that 'runs flawlessly and excellent warranty' . Is that what you want?

Without knowing more, go to a few local dealers, find one you mesh with, that will be there when/if something brakes, or if you want an upgrade. Buy from them.

Dizzle

Jan 27, 2018
    Okay... I looked around some more this morning and I found something exactly comparable to what I want.

Ruger AR 556 MPR... Nice trigger 4.5lb, furniture is great, 18" barrel with 1/8 twist able to stabalize most ammo easily, looks good but doesn't have an HBAR barrel on it...

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Okay... I looked around some more this morning and I found something exactly comparable to what I want.

Ruger AR 556 MPR... Nice trigger 4.5lb, furniture is great, 18" barrel with 1/8 twist able to stabalize most ammo easily, looks good but doesn't have an HBAR barrel on it...

What. Is. Your. Budget.??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

freebird

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 11, 2013
    What. Is. Your. Budget.??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Haha...exactly. Looks like at least $900.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom