• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -Accessories are cat nip to me. A good holster or lanyard find makes my day. So when I spied this box up on Proxibid it had to be mine. Luckily all it took was about $37.50 with shipping.
    -What got me so torqued up is an original pre-WW2 vintage box with instruction sheet for the H&R Self Loading Pistol in 7.65mm. This pistol, along with its little 6.35mm brother, was designed by William Whiting of Webley. He did all the major auto loaders for Webley in the years leading up to and immediately preceding WWI. H&R licensed the design which differed from Webleys 1908 7.65mm pistol by use of a striker, doing away with the exposed hammer and employing a grip safety.
    -H&R built approx. 35-40k of these pistols from 1916 to 1924 and as slow sellers inventory wasn't depleted until the 30's. The inside of the box has a price of $16.50 marked in pencil and that sounds about right for the era. My .32 SL was built towards the end of 1921, one of around 4500 made that year.

Attachments

• IMGP8694.JPG
      IMGP8694.JPG
      44.1 KB · Views: 377
    • IMGP8695.JPG
      IMGP8695.JPG
      54.6 KB · Views: 386
    • IMGP8696.JPG
      IMGP8696.JPG
      53.7 KB · Views: 376
    • IMGP8697.JPG
      IMGP8697.JPG
      43.7 KB · Views: 383
    • IMGP8698.JPG
      IMGP8698.JPG
      75.7 KB · Views: 377
    • IMGP8699.JPG
      IMGP8699.JPG
      76.4 KB · Views: 394

trailtoy

GOA, MSI, NRA
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2013
    St. Marys
    A box can certainly make your day. I was stoked when pop gave me his .44 flattop in the box, which I didn't know he had. And now I have a .357 in the box also.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Coolness!

Looks a lot like the Colt Hammerless box.

-Wow, it really does. Would bet lunch the same company built both.
    -It's in pretty good condition too. The lid is attached to the box and that "hinge" is completely intact. The cherry on top was the OEM instruction sheet. I've seen photos of them in reference books up to now so it was a treat to find it included with the box and in excellent condition.
    -The fellow at the UPS Store who was packing it for me asked why I bought just a box. Told him "You know how important having a vintage toy in the original box is. Think the same thing for collectible firearms." This box takes an excellent condition pistol to the next level.

Attachments

• colt 1908 box.jpg
      colt 1908 box.jpg
      32.5 KB · Views: 202

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    I clicked on Post and it took me about 30 milliseconds to rethink my choice of thread title, just knew this was inevitable. All in good fun! Did getcha to look!

Not quite as excited about these, but yes they are cool. Especially for age and condition. The historical purpose interests me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom