Dumping the semi, Getting a Sporting O/U; Opinions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    This is why I avoided the clay sports all these years. My Benelli M2 3-gun shotgun was $2500 after tax. If I'm going to be getting active in these games, I'm not buying an O/U.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    This. Go through Joel Etchen for a Beretta or speak with August Crocker about a Caesar Guerini.

It was a tough decision for me but ended up with a CG and couldn’t be happier.

August is a great guy and he is based out of TX.

As for your other choices, I can't speak to the Winchester but I would definitely recommend fondling both the Beretta and Brownings a LOT before making your decision. Before eventually moving to a CG, I was between a SP3 and B725 sporting. The two guns shoulder and handle very differently in my opinion. I ended up going with the 725, but both are nice guns IMHO. Owned the 725 for a year or so then jumped over to a CG and never looked back. :thumbsup:

PS - if you're looking to a good bit of sporting clays I would suggest at least considering a 30" or even a 32" barrel set. Just personal preference really, but I like having a smoother swing when shooting SC and the longer barrels seem to be all the rage these days. Whatever you get just make sure it fits and you're happy. Happy shopping!

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    This is why I avoided the clay sports all these years. My Benelli M2 3-gun shotgun was $2500 after tax. If I'm going to be getting active in these games, I'm not buying an O/U.

You don't "need" an o/u to shoot clays. I shoot sporting clays, 5 stand, and skeet with my 391. I do have an o/u sporting/skeet gun, but I rarely shoot it anymore. I do use an o/u for trap though because it floats the bird above the barrel for me, versus the 391 and 682 GoldE that have zero float.

Have a 686 Black Onyx too that I bought for I think $1,200 back in 1995 or somewhere thereabouts. I don't shoot it much anymore, but I used to use it for sporting/skeet/hunting a lot. Now, my dad uses it for hunting and clays the few times a year he gets out to do either.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Here’s something used I found on Gunbroker. Don’t worry about it saying Trap. A lot of Sporting and Skeet guns look like trap guns nowadays. This would be a great gun for any game. It does have a step rib. It allows you to have your head more upright which means better visibility. The adjustable comb would cost you at least $250.00 to have it done. The barrels are ported. I don’t look for porting but it wouldn’t stop me from buying this. The gold series guns are gorgeous to me. Mine’s a silver gun like my avatar. You definitely want choke tubes and at least 29.5” barrels (which is 75 centimeters). Italians. This model would be considered a step up from the 686 Silver Pigeon.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/790777365

What would you say this gun is worth? Min bid is $2800, which would have won since no one bid on it. Up for sale again.

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    What would you say this gun is worth? Min bid is $2800, which would have won since no one bid on it. Up for sale again.

It might be a little high. This model is much nicer than the Silver Pigeon or the Browning. Again the adjustable comb is worth about $250.00. Remember your eye is the rear sight on a shotgun. Your eye has to be in the right spot with your cheek firmly on the stock to get the right sight picture. If the stock is too low you will need to have an adjustable comb installed. It’s going to be heavier than either of the other guns. Which is a good thing. I would compare it to the two linked below. The 682 Gold gun is going to have a beefier stock and a palmswell.
    https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/beretta-687-silver-pigeon-iii-overunder-shotgun

Or this one.

https://www.joeletchenguns.com/etchen-signature-series/silver-pigeon-iii-all-around-12-gauge-30

Taking a trip to Etchens would really help you because you’ll be able to feel the differences since he’ll have all the different models.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The bottom line of shotguns is, buy the one that fits you the best.

Gun fit outweighs most everything, as long as you are comparing guns in a similar quality range.

Ranger Tom

Jan 28, 2013
    Woodsboro MD

Gun fit outweighs most everything, as long as you are comparing guns in a similar quality range.

This is the answer! I had a Beretta 686 that didn't fit and it absolutely beat the snot out of me. Checked out a Browning 725 Sporting Clays model and no more recoil issues. Sold the Beretta.

It's worth the trip to Etchin's, I'm sure that he will have a gun in your price range that will fit.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009

Hell, the same model guns fit differently. I was at the Cabela's in Christiana a couple years ago and it has a bunch of DT-11 guns on the rack. I shouldered 4 of them and the first 3 did not fit exactly right. The 4th one, which actually had an adjustable stock just like my 682 Gold E, fit perfect. I almost fell to my knees and asked my wife to allow me to buy it, but I just said "This gun feels awesome" and she said "Maybe". Then, Beretta came out with the DT-11 Black and I really, really, really like how that gun looks.

Debating whether to spend my current good husband vouchers on a DT-11 Black or holding out and saving up more vouchers for a SO-6.

Sheez, the DT-11 EELL looks really, really nice too. The SO-6 is orgasmic.

This is why I "hate" these kinds of threads. It gets me looking at stuff I do not need, but really, really, really want. Hey, the DT-11 EELL is "only" $16,000.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    The only thing I'm noticing when shouldering shotguns is LOP is usually too long for me. The Beretta I just got I had to shorten by removing the spacer. The Browning 2000 actually felt great, I didn't feel the need to shorten the LOP. That could be shortened by a smith very easily, since nothing really sticks into the butt stock. If I were so inclined, I could cut it down to shockwave length, like Sean Connery's shotgun in Outland. The Benelli 3-gun seemed to fit me just right for what I wanted it to do. The Mossberg 590A1 was a little long, the Magpul stock fixed that problem. I can't really shorten my FN SLP, not a lot of room between the spring in the stock and the end of the recoil pad. The stock on my IAC 87 needed to be shortened so I could cycle the action, so I had 1" removed and now I can cycle it like Chuck Connors in the Rifleman. So average am I, I can get on a shotgun and shoot it good, but not particularly well unless I make some small adjustment. This isn't a problem with ARs.

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    Hell, the same model guns fit differently. I was at the Cabela's in Christiana a couple years ago and it has a bunch of DT-11 guns on the rack. I shouldered 4 of them and the first 3 did not fit exactly right. The 4th one, which actually had an adjustable stock just like my 682 Gold E, fit perfect. I almost fell to my knees and asked my wife to allow me to buy it, but I just said "This gun feels awesome" and she said "Maybe". Then, Beretta came out with the DT-11 Black and I really, really, really like how that gun looks.

Debating whether to spend my current good husband vouchers on a DT-11 Black or holding out and saving up more vouchers for a SO-6.

Sheez, the DT-11 EELL looks really, really nice too. The SO-6 is orgasmic.

This is why I "hate" these kinds of threads. It gets me looking at stuff I do not need, but really, really, really want. Hey, the DT-11 EELL is "only" $16,000.

Well here’s an SO6 EELL. It’s only $60,000 USED!

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/790244158

Here’s a new DT11 EELL and it’s local. Larry’s Trading Post in Ocean City, MD. And only $16,000.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/792218690

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Well here’s an SO6 EELL. It’s only $60,000 USED!

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/790244158

Here’s a new DT11 EELL and it’s local. Larry’s Trading Post in Ocean City, MD. And only $16,000.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/792218690

Yeah, not a big fan of the engraving on that SO6 and Able's had a couple of DT-11 EELL on gunbroker too. Oddly though, they did not have the black in the engraving like Beretta shows on its website.

The SO6 that I want will be ridiculously expensive I am guessing. Probably going to settle on a DT-11 EELL until most of the kids are done with college.

Attachments

• _SO6eell_dett2.jpg
      _SO6eell_dett2.jpg
      14.1 KB · Views: 245
    • _SO6eell_dett3.jpg
      _SO6eell_dett3.jpg
      10.5 KB · Views: 252
    • Beretta.JPG
      Beretta.JPG
      42.4 KB · Views: 282
    • img_SO6EELL.jpg
      img_SO6EELL.jpg
      13.3 KB · Views: 292

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    This...

But I was just the opposite. The Beretta fit me like a glove and I couldn't get comfortable with the Browning, at all...

Each person.

A stock Browning 325 fits me like it was made for me.

My buddy, a Beretta (I forget which one) fit him like it was made for him.

This is why I say, try and pick the one that FITS. Or plan on spending time and money to get it to fit you properly.

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    Yeah, not a big fan of the engraving on that SO6 and Able's had a couple of DT-11 EELL on gunbroker too. Oddly though, they did not have the black in the engraving like Beretta shows on its website.

The SO6 that I want will be ridiculously expensive I am guessing. Probably going to settle on a DT-11 EELL until most of the kids are done with college.

That’s definitely nicer than the one on gun broker. I’m sure that thing wouldn’t fit me especially with that straight stock. I’m sure it’s also lighter than I’m used to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom