• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ar1131

Jan 31, 2013
    I ordered a 16" fde tavor in July and it is now in stock. I am not committed to buying it but since I ordered it pre 10/1 I have the option. The cost is $1870. Is this a decent current price? I know it was a great price a few months ago but haven't really paid attention recently since I forgot I ordered it. Thanks

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    It does not sound like you paid for it and got a documented sales receipt in return. If that is the case I believe you are out of luck, unless you agree to have the 16" Tavor modified with a longer flash hider by the FFL who accepts the transfer, or who has it in stock.

Any Tavor that you pay for now and take possession of has to have an Over-All Length that is 29 inches or longer. I recall the 16" model is 26.5 inches unmodified.

$1870 is a good price.

ar1131

Jan 31, 2013
    I thought a purchase order was all I needed. I am so happy the law is crystal clear.

mtel

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2012
    Virginia
    It does not sound like you paid for it and got a documented sales receipt in return. If that is the case I believe you are out of luck, unless you agree to have the 16" Tavor modified with a longer flash hider by the FFL who accepts the transfer, or who has it in stock.

Any Tavor that you pay for now and take possession of has to have an Over-All Length that is 29 inches or longer. I recall the 16" model is 26.5 inches unmodified.

$1870 is a good price.

To-date I've never seen anything come across the wires from MSP, in writing, stating exactly what constitutes a purchase order.

What makes you think a sales receipt is the only document that equals a purchase order? Just a question, not an indictment.

ar1131

Jan 31, 2013
    To-date I've never seen anything come across the wires from MSP, in writing, stating exactly what constitutes a purchase order.

What makes you think a sales receipt is the only document that equals a purchase order? Just a question, not an indictment.

I have no idea what MSP defines as a purchase order. In business, sometimes, a purchase order is the order and you pay when it is shipped. I contacted MSP and was told if I placed an order before 10/1 I can take delivery after 10/1 even though I didn't pay for it pre 10/1. I will also contact an ffl to see what they say. I don't know what the right answer but I don't want to buy it to find out I cannot take possession of it from my ffl. I'm not trying to come off as arguing, I don't know the answer. Thanks

mtel

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2012
    Virginia
    No worries; not an argument, just a conversation.

The few FFLs that have actually had to process purchase orders would probably know best what MSP is accepting. Even that understanding probably varies slightly from FFL to FFL. I'd wager an invoice is just as good as a receipt but I don't know that as fact.

If I had to guess, a purchase order is probably being interpreted by MSP as a contract, meaning the timing of payment would be decided by the two parties involved in the transaction.

I've seen posts from a few MD people waiting for LaRue rifles. LaRue doesn't charge until your order is ready to ship. That's just anecdotal but I'd bet an invoice documented pre-10/1 should pass muster.

ar1131

Jan 31, 2013
    Assuming I can take possession of it the question is then, to tavor or not to tavor at $1870. I know it is completely a personal preference but just curious what others think of the gun at that price.

mtel

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2012
    Virginia
    I believe they're running $1699 at CDNN right now. I've seen that price a few places before (Atlantic, grabagun, maybe others).

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    The OP says he was not committed to buy. That does not sound like a purchase "contract" to me. Payment on delivery would be a courtesy extended from a seller to a buyer, but a contract would obligate the purchaser to pay when the Tavor comes in.

This sounds like something fuzzier….

mtel

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2012
    Virginia
    I actually wasn't specifically talking about the OP's situation when I asked you that question. Just discussing it in abstract.

I agree though; if the OP doesn't have a pre-10/1 purchase order it's a moot point. Either way it doesn't matter much (fortunately). Pop on a longer muzzle attachment and you're still driving home with a Tavor.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    I actually wasn't specifically talking about the OP's situation when I asked you that question. Just discussing it in abstract.

I agree though; if the OP doesn't have a pre-10/1 purchase order it's a moot point. Either way it doesn't matter much (fortunately). Pop on a longer muzzle attachment and you're still driving home with a Tavor.

As we know, the legislature was grasping for language trying to craft this bull crap. The phrase "purchase order" was probably chosen to continue the game of "Chase Your Tail".

Whenever the MD political bureaucracy comes to a fork in the road between a gray, fuzzy word and a clear, defined term, they choose fuzzy.

If I was facing the prospect of taking possession of an FDE 16" Tavor after 10/1…I would have paid for it in full before 10/1 no matter what--and left the shop with signed paperwork specifying an FDE 16' model. And I likely would have paid by some certified method, CC, MO, personal check, just to be sure.

But paying for a rifle now, after 10/1? You know what an ambitious-O'Malley-wanna-be assistant State's Attorney would call that? A Post 10/1 purchase...

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Bottom line, will the FFL transfer it to you?

If so, up to you to buy or not.

If not, you have no choice.

But if they are out there for $1699, you have add shipping and transfer cost, so $1870 is not a bad price ($171 extra). And the fact you CAN NOT BUY A 16" TAVOR IN MD ANY LONGER. At least without adding a dildo to the barrel.

mtel

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2012
    Virginia
    I was told today I could pick up a tavor for $1850 and walk with it the same day.

Sure, it’s true. As long as the OAL isn’t less than 29” (meaning 18.5” barrel + extended muzzle attachment) and it only has one of three copycat features, it‘s cash and carry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom