• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    I just got another K31. This one has a beech stock that is really banged up and a good deal of the shellac finish is missing. I spent the day using denatured alcohol to strip the old finish off, with the idea of putting on a fresh coat of shellac. I bought some of the "amber" shellac hoping it would hide some of the dark dents. Well, now that I look at the stripped stock, the only thing shellac is going to do is make a beat up looking half finished stock into a beat up looking shiny stock.

So, my dilemma is, do I stick with the shellac because that's what the K31 is supposed to have for a finish or do I do something to make the stock darker to hide some of the roughness? The reason I'm even considering going with a "non-correct" finish is this is a shooter grade rifle that would never catch a serious collector's eye anyway. Thoughts?

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Recently, when faced with a rough finish on an SKS that was offering little protection to the beautiful wood stock under it, I stripped the original finish, cleaned the wood well and then used Tung Oil to seal the wood. I never sanded anything, but I did used some 0000 steel wool in between coats to insure a perfectly smooth finish.

I now have a very fine looking SKS that will withstand the elements.

I am sure that refinishing it hurt the collector's value a little since mine has the Chinese National Security Forces markings, but my dad gave it to me and I will never sell it.

I do enjoy shooting it, and I get compliments on it every time I take it to the range!

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Wish the Swiss had built more spare stocks, more than a few K31s were imported with rough buttstocks from all too many years of hikes in the snow and rough mountain terrain. I've looked for surplus stocks but they're hens teeth, too rare. Somebody does make a new replacement but they're a quality item and not cheap.

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    Wish the Swiss had built more spare stocks, more than a few K31s were imported with rough buttstocks from all too many years of hikes in the snow and rough mountain terrain. I've looked for surplus stocks but they're hens teeth, too rare. Somebody does make a new replacement but they're a quality item and not cheap.

I know that Boyd's used to make them. Not sure if they still do or not.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Have you tried steaming the dents out? Not all of them will raise, but it might be worth a try.

If that fails, Liberty Tree has some surplus stocks. Most have cracks or repairs, but seem to be in decent shape dent/ding-wise. They have some listed on fleabay for $80/ea

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Have you tried steaming the dents out? Not all of them will raise, but it might be worth a try.

If that fails, Liberty Tree has some surplus stocks. Most have cracks or repairs, but seem to be in decent shape dent/ding-wise. They have some listed on fleabay for $80/ea

Years ago, I took a spare mosin stock and steamed out dents. It takes time to get all the dents raised up but it really made a huge difference. I used a purplish red dye that mixes with shellac and refinished the stock. This is what is on my Mosin Sniper as the original stock I felt would not age well with the range trips I planned for the Mosin. I still have original stock but the refinished one turned out looking like a pretty well done refurb stock. If I were you, I definitely would try the wet towel iron steam process and see if they raise up.

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    Too late now. I just cleaned the stock the best I could and applied the shellac. It actually looks quite nice, if somewhat worn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom