• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    the case would hinge on "storage" A perrmit holder is entitles to wear, carry, and transport.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    the case would hinge on "storage" A perrmit holder is entitles to wear, carry, and transport.

Exactly.
    If you as a permit holder stop at the grocery store and leave a handgun in your vehicle
    1. You arent wearing
    2. You arent carrying
    3. You may be transporting, depending on who gets to define transporting that day.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Exactly.
    If you as a permit holder stop at the grocery store and leave a handgun in your vehicle
    1. You arent wearing
    2. You arent carrying
    3. You may be transporting, depending on who gets to define transporting that day.

Substitute grocery store with Post Office.

What are you supposed to do with your handgun, AR style or otherwise?

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Transport it in your car, i.e. store it securely while you go about your business.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Which is what I do. What I'm getting at is how do those that say storage isn't covered in wear, carry and transport square this?

As much as I try not to have to go into GFZ, there are the inevitable unavoidable times that this happens during the course of a business day.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    I know a couple of folks that have a Kel-Tec PLR16 as a truck/car gun.

Attachments

• Kel-Tec PLR-16.jpg
      Kel-Tec PLR-16.jpg
      67 KB · Views: 189

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    It's a good point about the Sig brace. Do you really want to carry your ATF letter everywhere you go? Also, to carry it in your car means your have to carry it everywhere. I wouldn't want to walk the street with my AR pistol. Also, think of a situation where you get pulled over while carrying. It's pretty easy to tell the officer that you have a permit and that you have a gun on your hip. I'm trying to envision the awkwardness of telling the officer, "i have an AR pistol in my backpack."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is no requirement to notify LE that you A) have a permit and B) have a firearm on your person during a traffic stop.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Substitute grocery store with Post Office.

What are you supposed to do with your handgun, AR style or otherwise?

Don't park your vehicle in the Post Office parking lot, it is a federal violation and has been upheld in Federal court.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    There is no requirement to notify LE that you A) have a permit and B) have a firearm on your person during a traffic stop.

I keep my CCW right next to my license. If I'm ever pulled over while carrying, I will let the officer know. My choice.

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    You have to be careful there are several definitions floating around in the Maryland Code. Public Safety 5-301(c) in the handgun permit section states:
    "(c) Handgun.- "Handgun" has the meaning stated in § 4-201 of the Criminal Law Article.
    "

CL 4-201 states:

(c) Handgun.-
    (1) "Handgun" means a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed on the person.
    (2) "Handgun" includes a short-barreled shotgun and a short-barreled rifle.
    (3) "Handgun" does not include a shotgun, rifle, or antique firearm.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    The big clause for me is "capable of being concealed on the person." Does that include a backpack or briefcase?

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    yup, IMO neither of those is on my person.

but IANAL or a dumb ass legicritter from Naptown

I agree with you. I wonder what the implications are for a woman that carries in a handbag. The letter of the law says, "capable" of being carried on the person. If I'm reading this in a very conservative view, I'm thinking that a woman carrying a Glock 43 in her purse is capable of carrying a Glock 43 on her person. I can't say the same for an AR pistol.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I keep my CCW right next to my license. If I'm ever pulled over while carrying, I will let the officer know. My choice.

And that is indeed your choice.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    my normal practice (outside the gulag) is to hand my CCW to the office along with my DL.

realing in some states it isn't required.

just a courtesy

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    I see no legal requirement that a person who has a permit issued by the Secretary carry the handgun on your person.

Public Safety 5-301(d) says ""Permit" means a permit issued by the Secretary to carry, wear, or transport a handgun.

Also Criminal Law 4-203(b)(2) says ( this is the blanket criminal prohibition against transporting a handgun in general) :

(b) Exceptions.- This section does not prohibit:

(2) the wearing, carrying, or transporting of a handgun, in compliance with any limitations imposed under § 5-307 of the Public Safety Article, by a person to whom a permit to wear, carry, or transport the handgun has been issued under Title 5, Subtitle 3 of the Public Safety Article;

The legislature is presumed to mean what it says when it enacts a statue and they chose to put all three words: 'wearing, carrying and transporting' in the language of the statute. They also used disjunctive ("or") instead of conjunctive ("and")which means you can do each of those things individually.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I see no legal requirement that a person who has a permit issued by the Secretary carry the handgun on your person.

Public Safety 5-301(d) says ""Permit" means a permit issued by the Secretary to carry, wear, or transport a handgun.

Also Criminal Law 4-203(b)(2) says ( this is the blanket criminal prohibition against transporting a handgun in general) :

The legislature is presumed to mean what it says when it enacts a statue and they chose to put all three words: 'wearing, carrying and transporting' in the language of the statute. They also used disjunctive ("or") instead of conjunctive ("and")which means you can do each of those things individually.

Thank you, Counselor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom