• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    What is the closest range to Hagerstown that is set up for IDPA? Ive taken some pistol courses and shot some garand matches but I want to do more competitive shooting esp with a handgun.

I am very interested in getting started in IPDA/USPSA but dont know of anywhere close that has the facilites to even practice. I had a buddy that was a member of Fort Hill? And they had some steel and stalls for action pistol type stuff but he passed and its over an hour from home.

I know thermont has a range which is a bit of a haul, I was just curious if there was anywhere else closer. I have wanted to get involved for a few years but access has always seemed less than optimal. Understandably my hobbies come after being a coach, etc for my kids so Im trying to find a better way to try and do both.

Id also be looking for a shooting buddy out this way if anyone is looking. Strongly considering the Hendershots league as a mini intro to hangun shooting sports.

Thanks
    Steve

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    peacemaker might be your closest bet down 81 below martinsburg. no more idpa or uspsa but they're supposed to do something idpa-ish this year. and they have uspsa-like falling steel matches (and 2 and 3 gun). as a member you can run around and play in the bays.

shoot east across 70 and frederick iwla has idpa and thurmont iwla has uspsa and idpa (and periodic 3 gun).

another half an hour below peacemaker is north mountain/gravitas tactical that does uspsa and uspsa-like falling steel.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    I can't comment on the drive, but can say that I've done some IDPA and three gun at Thurmont and everyone has been very helpful to new competitors. Lots of fun!

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I dont have a shotty so no 3 gun for me but id be interested in everything else.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I can't comment on the drive, but can say that I've done some IDPA and three gun at Thurmont and everyone has been very helpful to new competitors. Lots of fun!
    Thurmont honestly looks great and Ive been there for CMP matches I'm just concerned that with it being an hour away and with the large number of matches they run how often Id be able to use it.

Just cusious if there was anything similar that wasnt that far away. Looks like maybe not.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    You don't have to join the club to shoot in the matches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    IDPA at Thurmont Sportsman's club and IWLA in Frederick. Don't have to be a member to shoot. Both run very good matches with friendly people and newbies welcome. Their websites have the match schedule. Also Machine Gun Nest in Frederick has USPSA style matches every Thursday night.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    IDPA at Thurmont Sportsman's club and IWLA in Frederick. Don't have to be a member to shoot. Both run very good matches with friendly people and newbies welcome. Their websites have the match schedule. Also Machine Gun Nest in Frederick has USPSA style matches every Thursday night.

Love those matches at TMGN but that's quite a haul for Highlanders

gpfan

Dec 6, 2014
    Sykesville, MD
    I've shot IDPA at both Frederick IWLA and Thurmont Sportsmans Club. Both are worth the drive. I've never shot action shooting at TMGN but I bet Indoor would be really nice this time of year. ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom