• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    There just seem to be some funny, total BS, or accidental typo sorts of things written in gun descriptions on the familiar auction sites. Maybe it would be fun to have a thread of those? Here's one ...

"Tight and looks functional, but obviously you should have it examined by a locksmith if you plan to shoot it."

newq

101st Poptart Assault BSB
    Mar 6, 2011
    Eldersburg, MD
    My favorite is the laundry list of deficiencies:

-Finish is almost completely gone
    -Pawls are badly worn
    -Missing front blade sight
    -Grips are cracked
    -Hammer has a broken spring
    -Trigger shows some excessive side to side movement
    -Frame pitted near crane

Followed by:
    But everything else seems fine.........

What is this everything else? Every major component in the firearm seems to have some sort of issue.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    many locksmiths are also gunsmiths. one of the best ones we had in omaha when i was stationed there was primarily a locksmith. just playin devil's advocate.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    typical craigslist ad:
    "car is in excellent condition! It may need a tuneup from sitting and will only go into reverse."

or...

Like new 2013 BMW $2401.

Email:
    "i'm in Chicago and will ship out to Afganistan next week. You cant see the car because it is in a shipping container waiting to be sent to you. If you send me a western union money order i will send the car right out to you."

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    Favorite gun auction ad:

Antique pistol, highly collectable. very few seen in this condition.
    be sure to have checked by a competent gunsmith.
    bid now. dont let this one get away!

Attachments

• rusty gun.jpg
      rusty gun.jpg
      42.1 KB · Views: 1,776

Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    Favorite gun auction ad:

Nice Radom! In the ad's defense, The type III quality did take a bit of a nose dive.:D

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Favorite gun auction ad:

Notable patina; this example saw use in the field.

When I asked the deli guy for some whiffy soft cheese, he informed me that they generally preferred "fragrant".

Seen in book ad: "Soft corners, spine lean, cracked hinges, browning in text block, dust jacket with chips and closed tears; else fine."

Optimistic sellers abound.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    I'm moving this one here ...

"Original military issue Chinese Type 56 SKS rifles in 7.62x39 caliber with 10 round built in mag, featuring hardwood stock, folding blade bayonet and milled components. They have seen active combat so they are in Used condition NRA rated Fair to Good"

He also says ...

"If you are looking for a Chicom SKS with battle Character & Flavor this will fit your needs and have been very popular with Vietnam war collectors and reenactors."

Did they get dragged around the mountains a lot? Yes.

Were many of them used by guards at some pretty miserable prison sites? Yes.

Did most of them spend time with military troops who sat in concrete bunkers for weeks, or months, waiting for the Americans or someone else to invade? Absolutely!

But I'd like to know what freaking combat he thinks they went through, and why would a "Vietnam collector" want a rifle that never got near that country?

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    My favorite is the laundry list of deficiencies:

-Finish is almost completely gone
    -Pawls are badly worn
    -Missing front blade sight
    -Grips are cracked
    -Hammer has a broken spring
    -Trigger shows some excessive side to side movement
    -Frame pitted near crane

Followed by:
    But everything else seems fine.........

What is this everything else? Every major component in the firearm seems to have some sort of issue.

it looks like a gun????:lol2:

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I'm moving this one here ...

"Original military issue Chinese Type 56 SKS rifles in 7.62x39 caliber with 10 round built in mag, featuring hardwood stock, folding blade bayonet and milled components. They have seen active combat so they are in Used condition NRA rated Fair to Good"

He also says ...

"If you are looking for a Chicom SKS with battle Character & Flavor this will fit your needs and have been very popular with Vietnam war collectors and reenactors."

Did they get dragged around the mountains a lot? Yes.

Were many of them used by guards at some pretty miserable prison sites? Yes.

Did most of them spend time with military troops who sat in concrete bunkers for weeks, or months, waiting for the Americans or someone else to invade? Absolutely!

But I'd like to know what freaking combat he thinks they went through, and why would a "Vietnam collector" want a rifle that never got near that country?

Seems I read that exact description yesterday. Believe it was on Atlantic firearms website. Decent price for the times tho.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Seems I read that exact description yesterday. Believe it was on Atlantic firearms website. Decent price for the times tho.

Just checked, and you're right. I guess the guy in GA is getting his from Atlantic and using their advertising blurb in his auctions.

No matter what the source of the info, though, I still find it pretty sleazy to advertise something as "have seen active combat" when they have not, and to advertise them in such a way that the uneducated might be led to believe that they were in Vietnam (Atlantic even shows an iconic photo of a Viet Cong soldier in a spider hole with one).

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    My personal favorite,

"WWII Bringback, but no paperwork"

Ok unless they want an insane value premium.

Dont doubt that there are oodles of bringbacks but there were also oodles of Pre68 imports and telling them apart is impossible now.

If you want a value premium beyond non-import stamped, you best have papers!

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    My personal favorite,

"WWII Bringback, but no paperwork"

Ok unless they want an insane value premium.

Dont doubt that there are oodles of bringbacks but there were also oodles of Pre68 imports and telling them apart is impossible now.

If you want a value premium beyond non-import stamped, you best have papers!

Go to GB and do a search for "bring back" ... it's pretty amazing what sort of nonsense shows up.

Atlantic Firearms.com

Industry Partner
    Jul 31, 2011
    Machodoc , how is it that you exactly know they have not been used in Combat ?? These rifles came from the Balkan area & were used there then stored and sold off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom