• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrWhiteRabbit

Firefighter Gone Awry
    Sep 23, 2007
    One stage = one long pull and it breaks somewhere in there. The trigger works, but if you're trying for one ragged hole at some distance, it helps to be able to precisely time when the hammer drops.

Two stage = one long-ish pull before a stop, then adding any more pressure breaks the sear and the hammer falls. It gives you that extra control of deciding exactly when you take the shot.

In my brief experience (I'll link you to my recent thread)...
    Geissele SSA = OMGBEST
    Timney = Not too shabby

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    IMHO 2 Stage triggers are for people that dont know what a good Single Stage feels like.

I despise Giesselle Triggers (2 Stage and it costs that much):lol2:

MrWhiteRabbit

Firefighter Gone Awry
    Sep 23, 2007
    Chad makes a good point. My experience has been:

(1) the stock trigger in DPMS LPKs (given the price, I have to assume they are crap)
    (2) a Timney in my bench gun (which was heavenly compared to my AR triggers)
    (3) the new Geissele SSA two-stage trigger that came about because of the thread I linked you to.

So I don't have any experience with a "good" single-stage trigger, but I've also come to trust Canuck and JeepDriver when it comes to ARs. (Nothing against you, Chad, just haven't had the pleasure of shooting with you yet.)

So if you get a chance, maybe one of the guys on here will let you shoot their "good" single- and two-stage triggers and you can make up your own mind. Say the word and you're welcome to join me at the range anytime.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83

Are they worth it?

What type of shooting are you doing? Are you having fun blasting inexpensive ball ammo at 100-200 yds or are you shooting expensive target ammo and trying to get into formal competition?

Have a pro or someone who knows what they are doing check the stock trigger in your rifle. Use a trigger scale. If the pull is OK and it is smooth, then it is your choice to spend $$ on a different trigger or more ammo or another toy. If the pull isn't smooth, then someone like Chad can help make it smoother.

There isn't a right or wrong answer on this subject, just personal opinion.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    1 stage or 2 stage is personal preference. There are good and bad examples of each. "Sometimes" OE or cheap triggers are reasonably decent.
    In the abstract I would say I prefer single stage, but would take a good two stage over an indifferent single.

racinghoss

Missing Alaska
    Nov 3, 2008
    I really like my Jard trigger. It is set at 3# and is uber-slick. It single-handedly improved my accuracy over the standard RRA trigger.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I've have a RRA with a factory two stage match trigger. You really have to be focused to feel the two stages, both stages are both that smooth. I had a Colt with a two stage match trigger and to say having the second stage crisp release was a joy after that really gritty first preload stage is an understatement.
    I have a Colt lower with a JP Enterprise aftermarket in it...single stage. Very nice.

To be honest, its preference and I like both types of triggers. I think the two stage has an advantage to slowing trigger finger movement and allowing the shooter to settle the rifle before releasing the hammer for precision shooting. If you are into the more close in, rapid fire type of shooting, I see a two stage as an unneeded feature.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    I have RRA 2 stage triggers in all but one of my guns. I like the crisp break they have over stock.

I don't want a 3 or 4 lb trigger in my defensive gun, I want a strong trigger. A quality trigger is money well spent.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    The mil-spec trigger tends to be heavy, gritty, and has a lot of creep, all in all tons of room for improvement. The most cost efficient is to rework a mil-spec trigger. I grind different angles, polish the surfaces, and drill and tap for set screws to adjust engagement and overtravel, it makes for a decent 4# pull, many gunsmiths do a similar service, usually for less than $100.

I really prefer 2 stage triggers for most uses, they are easier to master IMO, less prone to AD's in some cases and for me, they are faster. A 2 stage simply means that there is a takeup stage, a smooth takup lighter than the weight required to break the trigger, once the trigger moves through this stage it gets to the second stage, where an abrupt increase in weight is felt that when overcome fires the shot, then the trigger is allowed to move a short distance forward past the 2nd stage engagement to reset, although it does not need to be reset all the way forward. This allows you to have some tension on the trigger constantly, making rapid fire smoother, and you really only feel the difference in weight between the 2 stages when breaking the shot, so even though the break may be a safe and heavy 5#, if the takup stage is 4#, it will kinda feel like a 1# trigger pulling from the takeup.

A good single stage is basically the 2nd stage only, no initial takeup, only a short and crisp break, problem is that when you have very light pull weights under 1#, it is easy to accidentally tap a shot prematurely, the slightest movement of the trigger will cause the gun to fire, and merely placing your finger on a very light trigger takes a lot of skill, in a 2 stage there is some pre-tension before you reach the breaking point, so it stabilizes your grip and finger on the trigger, and helps take some of the jitters out. Pull weights and adjustments are important with either design, with a 2 stage, you can set it up with a 1# takeup, 4# second stage for a total 5# crisp and definitive break with a little margin of safety from the light takeup while keeping the trigger in contact with your finger for rapid fire shooting. Set the same trigger up with a 3# takeup, 1# second stage and 4# break, and you get a very subtle break that really feels like 1# compared to the takeup. Because of the light weight "feel" with a heavier break of a good 2 stage, they are preffered in many types of shooting where a minimum pull weight is specified in the rules. Of course overtravel will be all but eliminated in a good trigger, less chance to pull a shot, and a shorter reset result, a minor ammount of overtravel may be needed to eliminate bump firing, trigger slap, or to prevent the trigger from becoming inoperable if dirt builds up, on any good trigger, a smooth pull and crisp break from sharp well fit angles is a given. The engagement/creep should be minimal, the less there is, the cleaner and crisper the break, and shorter the reset, however the more engagement you have, the less prone the trigger is to release if bumped, and less prone to chip the sear, become inoperable due to wear, or damage parts. There are other adjustments on some triggers like disconnector engagement, takeup length, and length of pull, some affect feel, some don't, most of it is prefference.

I have done AR builds with Jard, Jewell, Gieselle, modified and standard GI triggers, and helped my brother with his Timney, My favorite so far has been the Gieselle 2 stage, although if you prefer a single stage, the Timney is a good one.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Alucard,

Thanks. That's more learning about these triggers in a few short paragraphs than I have gotten reading multiple webpages. Great info.

- Patrick

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    My preference is two stage triggers. If you're looking for a decent two stage trigger at a good price, have a look at Rock River National Match triggers; they're tough to beat for the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adamc904

Latest threads

Top Bottom