• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • knovotny

Feb 5, 2013
    Aberdeen, MD
    We attended Andy Harris's town hall tonight in Kingsville. There weren't as many people there as I expected. Probably 30ish. If you wanted to ask a question, you were given a ticket, and then he drew randomly. For what was supposed to have been an hour, went 1/2 hour over.

There were quite a few normal Americans who had legitimate questions, or who wanted to tell him they appreciated what he is doing. And then there were the TDS crowd. Our ticket actually got drawn first, and we were planning on asking something based on what others said, so we just told him that we appreciate his support of the 2nd Amendment, and that we hope that he continues. The last question asked was by a MDA crazy. She asked about UBC's, and ERPO's. I think he did a good job of explaining how MD already has UBC for regulated firearms, how long guns are generally NOT used in crime, and how the data does not support enacting federal UBC. That out of 7000 failed NICS checks one year, only 10 were prosecuted. How something like 56 people are on the MD state registry of prohibited persons for mental health reasons. When the number would obviously be way higher, but because of privacy laws, they aren't reporting that.

With ERPO's, there were over 900 filed, and 400 something granted. Why were there so many that weren't? Were they false? What happened with the people who did have them granted? He said that all of that is unknown, and he stressed that these are ex parte. That he cannot support more legislation when there is no data proving that these things work. Personally I think he did a pretty good job refuting her suggestions. She was basically spouting the standard MDA talking points.

He said that MD's 7 day wait could cause MORE harm to women, because if they want a pistol to protect themselves, they have to wait. And that he thinks women should be armed for their own self defense.

Other than that there was the expected shrieking about how Trump is so nasty and rude, and well why doesn't Andy Harris tell him to not be mean. It was pretty laughable. He did a good job of telling people to get out and vote if they don't like him. Those who wanted Trump to behave like a nun were the ones who were rude and disruptive, as expected. One woman even compared him to Hitler, and then Andy was going to cut her off for that and move on, she claimed he was putting words in her mouth, that she didn't say he WAS Hitler. Pretty sure she was a school teacher. She didn't understand that saying he was like Hitler, was comparing him to Hitler.

A group of women wanted to argue with me afterwards about Trumps language. One was reasonably respectful, so I had a brief conversation with her. Her sister jumped in the middle and was rude so I walked away. So she got mad about that. So I told her I am happy to have a civil discussion, but that I will walk away from rudeness. So she started muttering, so I called her out on that too. It was so amusing how triggered they were. Nastiness is ok when it is towards someone you perceive to be in the wrong, apparently. And I shouldn't be offended by being called a Deplorable, because that wasn't personally directed at me. Right...

Interesting night for sure, but I am glad I am represented by a guy who seems like a decent man. He was very tolerant of a lot of BS, and kept his head. We spoke with his wife too, who is a huge 2A supporter.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Hmmm. I didn't realize he was going to be in Kingsville tonight, I could have gone to that. I've just been holding down the couch with my wife and dogs mindlessly watching the tube.

knovotny

Feb 5, 2013
    Aberdeen, MD
    Are you on his email list? I get calls and emails. Sometimes telephone town halls as well. He's fairly communicative. Also his fb page is pretty active.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    We attended Andy Harris's town hall tonight in Kingsville. There weren't as many people there as I expected. Probably 30ish. If you wanted to ask a question, you were given a ticket, and then he drew randomly. For what was supposed to have been an hour, went 1/2 hour over.

There were quite a few normal Americans who had legitimate questions, or who wanted to tell him they appreciated what he is doing. And then there were the TDS crowd. Our ticket actually got drawn first, and we were planning on asking something based on what others said, so we just told him that we appreciate his support of the 2nd Amendment, and that we hope that he continues. The last question asked was by a MDA crazy. She asked about UBC's, and ERPO's. I think he did a good job of explaining how MD already has UBC for regulated firearms, how long guns are generally NOT used in crime, and how the data does not support enacting federal UBC. That out of 7000 failed NICS checks one year, only 10 were prosecuted. How something like 56 people are on the MD state registry of prohibited persons for mental health reasons. When the number would obviously be way higher, but because of privacy laws, they aren't reporting that.

With ERPO's, there were over 900 filed, and 400 something granted. Why were there so many that weren't? Were they false? What happened with the people who did have them granted? He said that all of that is unknown, and he stressed that these are ex parte. That he cannot support more legislation when there is no data proving that these things work. Personally I think he did a pretty good job refuting her suggestions. She was basically spouting the standard MDA talking points.

He said that MD's 7 day wait could cause MORE harm to women, because if they want a pistol to protect themselves, they have to wait. And that he thinks women should be armed for their own self defense.

Other than that there was the expected shrieking about how Trump is so nasty and rude, and well why doesn't Andy Harris tell him to not be mean. It was pretty laughable. He did a good job of telling people to get out and vote if they don't like him. Those who wanted Trump to behave like a nun were the ones who were rude and disruptive, as expected. One woman even compared him to Hitler, and then Andy was going to cut her off for that and move on, she claimed he was putting words in her mouth, that she didn't say he WAS Hitler. Pretty sure she was a school teacher. She didn't understand that saying he was like Hitler, was comparing him to Hitler.

A group of women wanted to argue with me afterwards about Trumps language. One was reasonably respectful, so I had a brief conversation with her. Her sister jumped in the middle and was rude so I walked away. So she got mad about that. So I told her I am happy to have a civil discussion, but that I will walk away from rudeness. So she started muttering, so I called her out on that too. It was so amusing how triggered they were. Nastiness is ok when it is towards someone you perceive to be in the wrong, apparently. And I shouldn't be offended by being called a Deplorable, because that wasn't personally directed at me. Right...

Interesting night for sure, but I am glad I am represented by a guy who seems like a decent man. He was very tolerant of a lot of BS, and kept his head. We spoke with his wife too, who is a huge 2A supporter.

I wasn't expecting that much shrieking. :o Some folks were clearly there just to yell at him, and find any way to hiss at whatever he said. They had no respect for order and talking only when it was their turn. As they frenzied themselves, I was really expecting to hear a hand clap at every word to prove that he was wrong.:rolleyes:

I really wish my number had been called later, so I could ask, "Do you think there is any answer you could give that would satisfy these people?" :sad20:

I never really thought much about Harris. He had my vote simply because there were no viable alternatives. Hearing his answers, and how he handled the hecklers made me proud to have given him my vote.

The more rude and hysterical they got, the more it cemented my support for him.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Hmmm. I didn't realize he was going to be in Kingsville tonight, I could have gone to that. I've just been holding down the couch with my wife and dogs mindlessly watching the tube.

I found out about it kinda last minute. Next time, I'll post a thread in advance.

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    I wasn't expecting that much shrieking. :o Some folks were clearly there just to yell at him, and find any way to hiss at whatever he said.

I just went to follow him on Facebook and it seems that he gets that kind of treatment daily. His page has so many people that are just angry and must spend their entire day online complaining or watching CNN. I hope Republican presidents retain the White House for the next hundred years after seeing how insane Democrats get when they lose.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    I rarely do Facebook and if I don't recognize a number I won't answer my phone. As for emails, I don't recall seeing one but that doesn't mean much.

SavageShooter

Jan 10, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Glad we have a good man like Andy. Not just only for 2A rights, but also for other sense making issues. Sounds like you encountered typical insane moron liberal acting up. They are a lost trouble making disaster.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I thought he did a fantastic job of handling them. He didn't roll over completely, and even pushed back more than I'd expect a politician too. He also didn't let them drag him into any shouting traps.

knovotny

Feb 5, 2013
    Aberdeen, MD
    I just went to follow him on Facebook and it seems that he gets that kind of treatment daily. His page has so many people that are just angry and must spend their entire day online complaining or watching CNN. I hope Republican presidents retain the White House for the next hundred years after seeing how insane Democrats get when they lose.

My favorite is when they bring up gerrymandering. A Democrat will throw a fit about how gerrymandered the First District is, and how they feel like they don't have any representation. :facepalm:

knovotny

Feb 5, 2013
    Aberdeen, MD
    Pictures from his Facebook page. :D

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1576902865135.jpg
      FB_IMG_1576902865135.jpg
      63.1 KB · Views: 220
    • FB_IMG_1576902861906.jpg
      FB_IMG_1576902861906.jpg
      75.2 KB · Views: 223

Users who are viewing this thread