• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

PF Flyer

Sep 8, 2010
    I'm embarrased to have to ask, but I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with the MoCo Police Department's Firearms Task Force.

Long story short, several weeks ago I was involved in a minor fender bender on my way back home from the range. A police officer who happened to be passing by stopped, I had forgotten to remove my range badge before getting behind the wheel of my truck -- DUMB, DUMB, DUMB!!! -- the officer asked the inevitable questions, which I answered honestly, she was relentless in pushing for consent for a search, I finally caved and consented, and she confiscated my handguns because she wrongly thought that she saw a violation of the transport laws. The prosecutors subsequently agreed that I hadn't violated the transport laws, but the MCPD still has my firearms.

I got the MCPD "request for return of firearms" form and the name and phone number of a Fire Arms Task Force detective from my local precinct and plan to hand deliver the paperwork tomorrow. I'm wondering if anyone knows how difficult it's going to be to have my property returned to me and how long it might take. At some point if I haven't heard anything, should I call the detective whose name I was given? Or should I just file the paperwork and start thinking now about having to file a lawsuit?

Any thoughts would be great! (And please be gentle with me -- I'm a newbie to the board and am still feeling like a royal horse's a**.)

Ak44

Sep 15, 2009
    Sounds more like coercion than consent for the search...but I'm no lawyer. Were you on your way from the Range to home? What time of the day was it? Were you Liquored up? How were the guns stored? I hope they don't electric pen your gun with their serial numbers for record keeping....

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    There have been times when I forgot to take my AGC Range badge off of my hat and put it back in the range bag. After your experience, I won't make that mistake again!

Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    The MD law is pretty basic on this matter - all that is required is that you be transporting to/from a range and the gun be unloaded and in a case. Were you not in compliance with this provision?

PGTMG

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2010
    I am afraid you are going to need a lawyer. Call the NRA and they will recommend one for you. Good luck

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    that sucks..

hope you get your weapon back... if not.. file a complaint on the officer for false charges.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    This is another good example of why everyone should NEVER consent to a search especially when there is something in your vehicle you would rather not have confiscated.

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    The MD law is pretty basic on this matter - all that is required is that you be transporting to/from a range and the gun be unloaded and in a case. Were you not in compliance with this provision?

I always thought it had to be unloaded and out-of-view. So it has to be in a case? You can't throw some linens on it and call it a day?

Ak44

Sep 15, 2009
    Has to be in a case, throwing linens on it would constitute it being concealed in the vehicle. Just like if you had a pistol under the seat.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I always thought it had to be unloaded and out-of-view. So it has to be in a case? You can't throw some linens on it and call it a day?

kinda iffy. it would look suspicious just having it laying around even hidden in linens. get a case or bag if i were you.

Ak44

Sep 15, 2009
    Theres a certain amount of discretion that comes into play....If it's 2 in the afternoon and your coming home from the gunshop with a gun you just bought that didn't come in a box. And it has plastic wrapped around it with tape and it's in your trunk, I personally wouldn't see the issue with it. Now if it's 2 in the morning, your liquored up, and you got a rifle in the back seat underneath some clothes you just tossed on it that's a different story.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    y? if you follow by the book you shouldnt have any problem.

just dont do anything crazy you should be ok.

This is the kind of autistic logic that will cost you thousands of dollars. No offense, but following the law isn't always enough.

I'll consent to a search cause I know I have nothing to hide.

Then you deserve whatever happens to you as a result... whether you had knowledge of the contents of your vehicle or not.

NEVER, EVER, CONSENT TO A VOLUNTARY SEARCH.

marko12

Sep 28, 2009
    Maryland, on the Chesapeake Bay
    Recently back into shooting I try to use common sense whenever I transport any weapons, but this doesn't seem to be enough. I always thought that if I have nothing to hide and have done nothing illegal that I don't have anything to fear from the "LAW". Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I were carrying any weapons while being stopped by a LEO, I should say, "Officer, I have legal and unloaded firearms in my vehicle". Perhaps, being naive, I would just get myself in trouble by being upfront and honest. Probably I should remain silent. Wearing a Range Badge should, in all reality, signify that you are NOT someone of suspicion but rather one who follows the Law and abides by the Constitution. FPS and other LEOs could give their impression on this scenario. What would you expect from someone who is legally transporting any weapon or weapons to or from a Range or is legally transportation ANY firearm ? Should they voluntarily announce that there are weapons in the vehicles? Perhaps silence is the proper way to go. Need an answer, just asking.

HomerSimpson

Nov 30, 2008
    Crap like this is why I'm glad I don't live in Maryland any more, it's getting as bad as New York and New Jersey.

BTW, what's a "range badge" and where / why would one be wearing one?

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom