• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Atlasarmory

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2009
    Glen Burnie
    DuraCoat claims there DuraHeat coating will withstand 1800 deg would that work ?

Hooker2

Disgruntled Pygmy
    Jan 10, 2008
    Bel Air
    You are using your 'CAN'
    You paid the money, completed the forms, etc.

You are a minority amongst shooters that actually shoots with his suppressor.
    Be proud.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    I really do not have issues with the finish getting discolored with heat. It is just some spots are turning pink. I've seen black, gray, brown... even burnt off into bare steel, but never pink...

I have some VHT high temp engine enamel in flat black... I'm tempted.

http://www.vhtpaint.com/flameproof.html

It wound hold up. I did an AK barrel and gas tube with it. Lasted 1 range trip.

I duraheated a 9mm can I have. I haven't been able to burn it off yet. Even shooting 1600 rds of full auto through it in on day

I don't know if it can survive the temps generated in a 556 can though.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    SCAR, you are gonna need to have it Ceracoated to be able to handle any heat it generates.

The Ceracote wont burn off or discolor if done correctly.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Clandestine,

thanks for that info. Do you guys do Cerakote?

I have a couple of heat discolored suppressors that can use it.

We contract out Ceracote since we dont have the space to do the operations for that service. We do all of the prep work then send it out.

I would have to check and see if they can handle suppressorsa and insure them accordingly. I would also check with the manufacturer to be sure it wont void your warranty.

Just looking out for you. :)

Let me know if you still interested and I will see about prices. :)

They do several colors, heres who we use:

http://www.gunfinish.com/index.cfm

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I'll throw in a +1 for ceracote... I've seen a few guns finished with it and it's TOUGH, especially the air cured type.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I shot the can again today on an AC556K and a AR SBR. Before I shot it, I gave it a good scrub with dish-washing soap , hot water and a sponge. It did not put oil on it and this time. it turned from pink to gray.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    I shot the can again today on an AC556K and a AR SBR. Before I shot it, I gave it a good scrub with dish-washing soap , hot water and a sponge. It did not put oil on it and this time. it turned from pink to gray.

Despite the additional color change, my $100 offer still stands.:)

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland

thought you like the hot pink color.. :innocent0
    :lol2::lol2:

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    BTW...

when we going shooting again? I'll have to pass on your $100.00 offer, I sold it for two bucks more to another member.:innocent0

Dam. I would gone up to $105.:envy:

We need to get out again. I'm hoping to have my 30 cal can approved soon. It would be nice to do that rifle shoot we discussed.

CKOD

Jan 30, 2009
    Bar-b-que grill paint. Flat black. Good up to 600F, which is hotter than that can will ever get, unless you're doing multiple Beta-dumps.
    :lol2::lol2: 12 rounds of 45 will push my .45 can to 250-300 when there is no coolant, 600F would easily be attainable by the 2nd or 3rd 30 round magazine in 5.56 rifle.

If I was painting a suppressor, I'd go for exhaust header paint.

mdjamesd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    Towson
    What temp is powder coating good up to? Might sound weird, but if you could find out who does ceramic coating for headers

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I think I'm just going to spray it with Lard as soon as it gets really hot and temper it like a Chinese Wok. That should give it a nice black coating.
    Pork Lard ! that should make it popular with the Jihad dudes.

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    Bar-b-que grill paint. Flat black. Good up to 600F, which is hotter than that can will ever get, unless you're doing multiple Beta-dumps.

A 5.56 suppressor, especially a good working one like the AAC, will raise 10 degrees or more in temp with each shot. Two mags will put it well past 600 degrees.

SCARCQB, I like the pork grease idea. Then it would smell like bacon every time you shoot, yum yum yum :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom