• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    Anybody in the Central MD area "make" the custom formed foam ear plugs? I know a guy near the Purceville VA area that does it but do not want to drive too far. After they are set, the plugs resemble hearing aids almost in their characteristics. It would be nice to have a set or two as opposed to the cheap kind. Just checking.

araugh

Laser Nerd
    Sep 2, 2008
    Laurel, MD
    Wait until the next motorcycle show in your area, typically there are 2 or 3 companies at each of them that do custom ear plugs while you wait for them.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I had a pair that I had made at the gun show and I ended up throwing them away. They were terrible.

If you want some good ones, go with the Musician's Earplugs. Not cheap, but worth it. They are fitted by a real audiologist.

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    my audiologist did a custom fit for me. they work well most of the time, but getting them in and out quickly seemed to be a hassle. $75.00 a pair.

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    I don't know if I really wanted to spend $75. I know you only get one set of ears in your life and you need to take care of them. I usually double up anyway. The foam plugs I was talking about were about $20. Just more confortable then the "roll and squeeze". But if people say they are junk, I'll keep looking and maybe talk to an audiologist.

BigCity

retired undertaker
    Oct 24, 2007
    Carroll County
    I had mine made at the Timonium bike show. Problem is, that was in February.

I don't recall seeing them at outdoor bike shows. There is a show coming soon in Carlisle, PA

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    Might wanna give these a look, I have a set that I wear when shooting indoors but wear electronic muffs outside. They work very well for noise reduction but I don't think they let you hear normal conversation any better than foam plugs. They are very comfortable to wear for a few hours at a time but can become irritating if worn for very long periods. They are very reasonable in price and last pretty well. My daughter and I have had a set for over a year now and she wears hers exclusively and they are holding up very well. Getting the correct measurement for them is pretty important though.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=180620

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    remember over-ear protection is a must. plugs just don't protect enough to keep you from getting hearing damage from repeated shooting. ..just something to think about.

HarEngSer

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 4, 2008
    Bel Air
    remember over-ear protection is a must. plugs just don't protect enough to keep you from getting hearing damage from repeated shooting. ..just something to think about.

Where did you hear that? They are required to label the actual Db reduction on all "safety" equipment. However you do have to wear them properly, which mean sticking them in your ear a ways. The variety of styles of in-ear plugs have different fits. So its possible to get a style that is too small for your ear. I prefer in-ear style when shooting but i got to test out a large variety of plugs at work and found what i like. Over the ear protection might be easier for the average person to use properly.

RetNavyHD

Dec 7, 2008
    North East, MD
    I have the custom molded plugs and they are great, i shoot alot of sporting clays and you can find these at most large shoots about $60 a pair the next big shoot that i know of is the masters cup in NJ. Not sure how far your willing to travel but most shoots have vendors and they will make them on the spot or if you really want to spend money look at ESP plugs.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I don't know if I really wanted to spend $75. I know you only get one set of ears in your life and you need to take care of them. I usually double up anyway. The foam plugs I was talking about were about $20. Just more confortable then the "roll and squeeze". But if people say they are junk, I'll keep looking and maybe talk to an audiologist.

But the foam ones work better than the $$$ customs, unless I'm reading this chart wrong...

me-graph2.gif

Even the best ones only provide 25db of sound reduction. foam gives ~35db.

Of course that being said, I double up: plugs and muffs. My hearing is damaged enough from shooting as a kid without hearing protection.

CKOD

Jan 30, 2009
    But the foam ones work better than the $$$ customs, unless I'm reading this chart wrong...

me-graph2.gif

Even the best ones only provide 25db of sound reduction. foam gives ~35db.

Of course that being said, I double up: plugs and muffs. My hearing is damaged enough from shooting as a kid without hearing protection.

+1 cheap foamies do a better job then even a lot of pricy muffs, and I'd second doubling up for indoor ranges or other loud stuff. A good suppressor can also tack on another 20-40 db of suppresson too. :innocent0

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom