• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Hey Folks,

Just curious about the Beta-C Magazines. Are they worth the money, and how reliable are they?

Q

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    They seem pretty cool, but I can't imagine dumping $30-50 for one mag dump. Too bad they don't make a rimfire version for the .22 conversions.

LowRecoil

Federalist
    Mar 18, 2007
    Harford
    Having a drum gives you more firepower without having to change mags frequently and they don"t stick out far, like a 40rd mag, which causes problems while shooting prone. Yes, they are a lot more expensive than a regular mag, but if you are in a firefight, do you want to worry about frequent mag changes? The biggest problem I have is carrying them cause I haven't found a molle based pouch for drums yet. As for reliability, there are some who have had feeding problems, others who have had no issues at all. I'd get some if you had the $$, if for nothing other than their value will probably increase.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    I have some, yes they are fun in a machine gun if you have access to one. But in semi auto they are pretty much useless. They are bulky and heavy. I don't remember the last time I used any of mine.

That said, i would like to get one for my M1A. No other reason then to just have it.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    Grab one or two for your collection and to fool around. Never rely on it for anymore than that.

jtarpley59

live free or die
    Jan 6, 2010
    Churchton
    I have two of them really because of the whole Obama scare and I did not think I would be able to buy them, but now I am going to build an AR with a by pod and make it like a saw only with the beta mags in place of the belt. And they run great never had a problem with mine.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Thanks for the info, folks. Looks like it falls into the novelty category, and use as a last resort option.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Its hard to justify at the cost, to my knowledge they are reliable.

Someday I will get one if politics doesnt shut me down first.

However I can only remember a few occasions using my AK drum, about the only gun I do drum mag dump in is my .22 PPS. And frankly I almost always shoot my ARs on 20rd mags anyways because they don't stick down as far on the bench. (20rd PMAGS rock).

Thats not saying i dont want my 30s or more :)

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    They are fun accessories to compliment your toys. Not as reliable as standard mags. Carried one during Patrol a long time ago and it rattled like a maraca. Definitely not stealthy.I never did that again. It is heavy when loaded and may change the weapon's handling characteristics. For actual combat use. I would advise against it. May as well wear a cow bell and tell the bad guys you are en route.if there are situations that you knew you were getting into a firefight as soon as you pick up your weapon. It definitely can lay down some serious firepower.I know several guys who swear by them and use them extensively, especially for convoy protection. I've seen one dropped and it turned into a fountain as soon as the feed lips were damaged. Fully loaded, it may not seat in easily with the bolt closed.
    I have a couple on hand. Just is case, they can also be kept loaded indefinitely and not weaken the spring. I have a couple always ready to go in the BOB. For my personal experience, I would use them in a serious post apocalyptic defensive scenario But not for a real HD situation. they dont look good from a legal defense standpoint.
    The coolest thing about it. It makes taking pictures of your rifle easier.

I have a couple for use in a subgun. For some reason, using betas in an MP5 always results in a jam.This is the only time this weapon jammed on me. I could never get it to work reliably, so I gave up. Traded them for standard curved mags instead.

Attachments

• ARSBR2.jpg
      ARSBR2.jpg
      68.2 KB · Views: 207
    • AUG1.jpg
      AUG1.jpg
      46.6 KB · Views: 206
    • image.jpeg
      image.jpeg
      2.5 KB · Views: 207

CKOD

Jan 30, 2009
    How does that feel shouldered on the STG-556 SCAR? Is it overly butt-end heavy, or does it still feel ok overall?

They are fun accessories to compliment your toys. Not as reliable as standard mags. Carried one during Patrol a long time ago and it rattled like a maraca. Definitely not stealthy.I never did that again. It is heavy when loaded and may change the weapon's handling characteristics. For actual combat use. I would advise against it. May as well wear a cow bell and tell the bad guys you are en route.if there are situations that you knew you were getting into a firefight as soon as you pick up your weapon. It definitely can lay down some serious firepower.I know several guys who swear by them and use them extensively, especially for convoy protection. I've seen one dropped and it turned into a fountain as soon as the feed lips were damaged. Fully loaded, it may not seat in easily with the bolt closed.
    I have a couple on hand. Just is case, they can also be kept loaded indefinitely and not weaken the spring. I have a couple always ready to go in the BOB. For my personal experience, I would use them in a serious post apocalyptic defensive scenario But not for a real HD situation. they dont look good from a legal defense standpoint.
    The coolest thing about it. It makes taking pictures of your rifle easier.

I have a couple for use in a subgun. For some reason, using betas in an MP5 always results in a jam.This is the only time this weapon jammed on me. I could never get it to work reliably, so I gave up. Traded them for standard curved mags instead.

None of my betas has ever jammed on me included sustained full auto fire. I have 2 for my MP-5.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Drums are a must for me.

Chinese Drums for AK's
    Beta C for the AR, and Daewoo

Every one of my go guns has one, and I made the guns run with them.

There are some Korean Beta C Copies coming out soon, and a US Manufacturer has a 500 round 10/22 Drum coming out.

X-Factor

I don't say please
    Jun 2, 2009
    Calvert County
    Drums are a must for me.

Chinese Drums for AK's
    Beta C for the AR, and Daewoo

Every one of my go guns has one, and I made the guns run with them.

There are some Korean Beta C Copies coming out soon, and a US Manufacturer has a 500 round 10/22 Drum coming out.

...500 rd 10/22 drum???? Holy crap. Is that for the Archangel kit?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    ...500 rd 10/22 drum???? Holy crap. Is that for the Archangel kit?

It will be for all 10/22's supposedly.

I saw a prototype, you dump a whole brick into a box that looks like a feed box for a S.A.W..

The box is a hopper of sorts and feeds the rounds via a electric motor, just dump in the ammo, and turn on the switch. The motor will feed the ammo into the gun just like a paintball guns battery powered hopper, except this one sits low on the gun unlike a paintball hopper.

X-Factor

I don't say please
    Jun 2, 2009
    Calvert County
    It will be for all 10/22's supposedly.

I saw a prototype, you dump a whole brick into a box that looks like a feed box for a S.A.W..

The box is a hopper of sorts and feeds the rounds via a electric motor, just dump in the ammo, and turn on the switch. The motor will feed the ammo into the gun just like a paintball guns battery powered hopper, except this one sits low on the gun unlike a paintball hopper.

Oh my god..... That's almost enough to make me get a 10/22. :party29:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom