• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • c33m0n3y

Mar 14, 2010
    Howard County
    Decoy,

I know that the SCAR is supposed to accept STANAG mags, but have you tried seeing if your SCAR will load from the PMAG on the pics? You can check it just by trying to close the bolt with the empty mag in place. Last Sunday I found my SCAR would work fine with standard (and cheapo) aluminum mags but would not close the bolt with my Magpul pmag or Lancer polycarb mags inserted. My AR would accept all of them fine

After comparing the metal w/ the plastic mags and then looking at the difference in the trigger modules between my AR and my SCAR I think I found the reason and a potential solution but want to make sure it's not just my rifle being finicky. If you have a chance to try it let me know what you find.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    Decoy,

I know that the SCAR is supposed to accept STANAG mags, but have you tried seeing if your SCAR will load from the PMAG on the pics? You can check it just by trying to close the bolt with the empty mag in place. Last Sunday I found my SCAR would work fine with standard (and cheapo) aluminum mags but would not close the bolt with my Magpul pmag or Lancer polycarb mags inserted. My AR would accept all of them fine

After comparing the metal w/ the plastic mags and then looking at the difference in the trigger modules between my AR and my SCAR I think I found the reason and a potential solution but want to make sure it's not just my rifle being finicky. If you have a chance to try it let me know what you find.

My SCAR runs fine with PMAGs although they do not drop free. I run EMAGs and they drop free..I recommend them for the SCAR.

SMORES,
    3rd Rcn was referring to the reciprocating CH in his earlier post. He was running my SCAR and I have it set-up with the CH on the left side. He just didn't like it cus he uses that ill-advised magwell grip with his thumb straight up in the air ghey style.
    I told him he was fixin' to put a hurting on himself...so it was an "issue"...LOL.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    My SCAR runs fine with PMAGs although they do not drop free. I run EMAGs and they drop free..I recommend them for the SCAR.

SMORES,
    3rd Rcn was referring to the reciprocating CH in his earlier post. He was running my SCAR and I have it set-up with the CH on the left side. He just didn't like it cus he uses that ill-advised magwell grip with his thumb straight up in the air ghey style.
    I told him he was fixin' to put a hurting on himself...so it was an "issue"...LOL.

lol... I actually prefer the AK-style or old HK-style (forward cocking handle on left side). I tolerate the AR-15 straight pull-back only because except for that one crap feature, it's a great system, IMHO. :D

And I agree, thumbs-up is for mall ninjas/operators only, no exceptions. ;)

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County

SMORES,

lol... I actually prefer the AK-style or old HK-style (forward cocking handle on left side). I tolerate the AR-15 straight pull-back only because except for that one crap feature, it's a great system, IMHO. :D

And I agree, thumbs-up is for mall ninjas/operators only, no exceptions. ;)

Don't be hatin on me cause you guys can't be part of the "Elite Team".:D

I actually wrap the mag well, so it's a little different but did get warned about the charging handle. I just think it shouldn't be an issue on a combat rifle and requires too much thought as to how you are grabbing the weapon. Just a personal preference and I didn't mean it as a bad thing just something that would keep me personally from buying one.

Decoy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2007
    Dystopia
    Decoy,

Just tested, PMAG's work fine. :thumbsup:

CKOD

Jan 30, 2009
    Don't be hatin on me cause you guys can't be part of the "Elite Team".:D

I actually wrap the mag well, so it's a little different but did get warned about the charging handle. I just think it shouldn't be an issue on a combat rifle and requires too much thought as to how you are grabbing the weapon. Just a personal preference and I didn't mean it as a bad thing just something that would keep me personally from buying one.

Training, training, training. ;)

Also, the M14 and M1 Garand both came with a handy dandy finger nail trimmer/op-rod combo too :lol2:

c33m0n3y

Mar 14, 2010
    Howard County
    Also, did the pmag fit without modification? Does it drop free?

JT

Glock-45:
    I posted this on the FN Forums, but I'll copy the relevant stuff of what I did to make my PMAG's and Lancer mags to work:

I have several Lancer and Magpul PMags that I was using with no problems with my Bushmaster AR15. I recently acquired a SCAR, and started trying out my mags on it. I quickly found that my Lancers would not latch at all, and my PMAGs would on occasion do the same (the bolt would not close with the magazine in). My metal mags (stock FN, stock Bushmaster and a cheapo GI's) had no problems at all latching and allowing the bolt to close.

After disassembling both my AR and my SCAR and looking through the lower receiver I noticed that the magazine "latch" (i don't know the part name!) on the bolt catch for the AR is pretty much centered on the receiver, whereas on the SCAR the same latch is actually offset about 3/16" to the left side. I then inspected my Lancer and Magpul mags and saw that the groove for the magazine latch is narrower than on the standard metal mags, so with the offset latch on the SCAR the rifle was not properly engaging the magazine.

The measurement from the outside edge of the magazine to the inside edge of the new groove needs to be no more than 1/4" for the latch to engage. When the magazines came out of the box this measurement was was about 3/8". I took a nail file and filed off the extra 1/8" of material from the left side of the groove on my plastic mags to widen it so it would match the groove on the metal mags. The right side can be left alone. It worked great, and now all of my magazines work flawlessly (latching and dropping) on both the SCAR and the AR.

Hopefully this will help the guys who are having trouble with the Lancer/PMAG's.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I can tell you, I am getting out of the AR biz and getting one of these after getting a closer look.

Saweeet one more AR build and the jar in the gunroom will be for the SCAR.

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    I just shot one of these last week thanks to a fellow MD shooter C33mon3y. These rifles are sweet and the recoil is so mild, for such a light rifle. It is almost like shooting a .22.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adamc904

Latest threads

Top Bottom