• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    Anyone want to wager that these "youths" will get a harsher treatment/sentence for shooting the child of a LEO (regardless of the fact that he was dealing drugs), as opposed to just shooting Fred and Wilma's kid down the street for doing the same thing?

I’d take that wager, but what’s the measure?

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    This ^^^^^^^

Since he was the kid of a cop, and not a run of the mill drug dealer, the shooters will get treated harsher.

I wasn't taken your side. He asked what the measure is going to be. There isn't a measure to supply, that I'm aware of. I doubt there is a stat kept by the courts of sentences kids get for murder. Not to mention the many variables involved with sentences, outside of guidelines.

The only measure is yours, or anyone else's, perception. If they get 5 years one can say "see it's because he was the son of a cop". If they get 10 years....the same thing. Too many variables without a true measure like he asked for.

I'm going to bet the sentence, if guilty, will be no different than the other cases in that jurisdiction for similar acts.

The courts typically won't bend over backwards when an officer is assaulted. Why would when a child, who wasn't an innocent party, is murdered?

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    Anyone want to wager that these "youths" will get a harsher treatment/sentence for shooting the child of a LEO (regardless of the fact that he was dealing drugs), as opposed to just shooting Fred and Wilma's kid down the street for doing the same thing?

The LEO should be doing sitting in booking alongside the three murderers since his gun was present while his son was selling drugs. But we know the chances of that. :rolleyes:

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    When you are a criminal and get involved with other criminals one of the possible outcomes is getting killed. He got involved in a hazardous occupation.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    When you are a criminal and get involved with other criminals one of the possible outcomes is getting killed. He got involved in a hazardous occupation.

Particularly if you get into social media contests of who can flash the thickest 'fan' of $100 bills on his Snapchat.

BigBull

Dec 23, 2014
    St. Mary's County
    I have heard that the kid never had any drugs and none were found. The kid had a strong desire to be a police officer like his father and others in his family. It is believed the kid was trying to do undercover work, basically playing cop. Supposedly, he was recording the undercover drug deal when he was shot. This is all third hand knowledge, so take it for what it is.

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    I have heard that the kid never had any drugs and none were found. The kid had a strong desire to be a police officer like his father and others in his family. It is believed the kid was trying to do undercover work, basically playing cop. Supposedly, he was recording the undercover drug deal when he was shot. This is all third hand knowledge, so take it for what it is.

If true that is certainly a game changer.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    The LEO should be doing sitting in booking alongside the three murderers since his gun was present while his son was selling drugs. But we know the chances of that. :rolleyes:

So you actually believe that a parent of a child who steals their gun... should be placed in jail beside the idiots who killed their son?

Do we also sue the manufacturer of the gun as well?

:sad20:

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

If it was his service weapon, I would agree.

If was a personal firearm, since his kid was over 16, then no violation of current Maryland law with regards to safe keeping in the presence of a minor.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    So you actually believe that a parent of a child who steals their gun... should be placed in jail beside the idiots who killed their son?

Do we also sue the manufacturer of the gun as well?

:sad20:

Public Safety 5-133(d):

"(d) Possession by person under age of 21 years prohibited; exceptions. --

(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2) of this subsection, a person who is under the age of 21 years may not possess a regulated firearm.

(2) Unless a person is otherwise prohibited from possessing a regulated firearm, this subsection does not apply to:

(i) the temporary transfer or possession of a regulated firearm if the person is:

1. under the supervision of another who is at least 21 years old and who is not prohibited by State or federal law from possessing a firearm; and

2. acting with the permission of the parent or legal guardian of the transferee or person in possession;
    ..."

So was the decdent acting with Dad's permission to be dealing THC with a loaded handgun? I suspect any of us would be hit with charges. Our only defense would be showing a cut-open safe. But since Dad's a cop, so it's more than just another drug murder and I doubt we'll see any scrutiny about why the decedent had one of Dad's pistols in-hand when he died.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland

I don't believe any of that for a New York minute.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    Public Safety 5-133(d):

"(d) Possession by person under age of 21 years prohibited; exceptions. --

(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2) of this subsection, a person who is under the age of 21 years may not possess a regulated firearm.

(2) Unless a person is otherwise prohibited from possessing a regulated firearm, this subsection does not apply to:

(i) the temporary transfer or possession of a regulated firearm if the person is:

1. under the supervision of another who is at least 21 years old and who is not prohibited by State or federal law from possessing a firearm; and

2. acting with the permission of the parent or legal guardian of the transferee or person in possession;
    ..."

So was the decdent acting with Dad's permission to be dealing THC with a loaded handgun? I suspect any of us would be hit with charges. Our only defense would be showing a cut-open safe. But since Dad's a cop, so it's more than just another drug murder and I doubt we'll see any scrutiny about why the decedent had one of Dad's pistols in-hand when he died.

It was illegal for the kid to take it. It was not illegal that he could gain access.

As far as duty pistol, it makes no difference in law. That is a violation of departmental policy but doesn’t make it criminal.

Why are so many chasing windmills? Dad wasn’t charged just like you wouldn’t be charged. Why? Maryland law doesn’t have a charge for it.

This one applies to dad. Care to show where dad should be arrested?

2010 Maryland Code
    CRIMINAL LAW
    TITLE 4 - WEAPON CRIMES
    Subtitle 1 - General Provisions
    Section 4-104 - Child's access to firearms.
    § 4-104. Child's access to firearms.

(a) Definitions.-

(1) In this section the following words have the meanings indicated.

(2) "Ammunition" means a cartridge, shell, or other device containing explosive or incendiary material designed and intended for use in a firearm.

(3) "Child" means an individual under the age of 16 years.

(4) (i) "Firearm" means a handgun, rifle, shotgun, short-barreled rifle, or short-barreled shotgun, as those terms are defined in § 4-201 of this title, or any other firearm.

(ii) "Firearm" does not include an antique firearm as defined in § 4-201 of this title.

(b) Exceptions.- This section does not apply if:

(1) the child's access to a firearm is supervised by an individual at least 18 years old;

(2) the child's access to a firearm was obtained as a result of an unlawful entry;

(3) the firearm is in the possession or control of a law enforcement officer while the officer is engaged in official duties; or

(4) the child has a certificate of firearm and hunter safety issued under § 10-301.1 of the Natural Resources Article.

(c) Prohibited.- A person may not store or leave a loaded firearm in a location where the person knew or should have known that an unsupervised child would gain access to the firearm.

(d) Penalty.- A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to a fine not exceeding $1,000.

(e) Effect of violation.-

(1) A violation of this section may not:

(i) be considered evidence of negligence;

(ii) be considered evidence of contributory negligence;

(iii) limit liability of a party or an insurer; or

(iv) diminish recovery for damages arising out of the ownership, maintenance, or operation of a firearm or ammunition.

(2) A party, witness, or lawyer may not refer to a violation of this section during a trial of a civil action that involves property damage, personal injury, or death.

[An. Code 1957, art. 27, § 36K; 2002, ch. 26, § 2.]

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom