AR-10 Stripped Lower and Upper waiting period in MD?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    I don't understand the hesitation in naming an FFL that literally wasn't doing their job correctly...2A all the way for me, thank you very much.
    I believe in a chance at redemption. In many ways I agree with you, but this whole thing is such a mess I wouldn't be surprised if he asked the MSP and got an incorrect answer from them.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    So not to beat a dead horse, but I'm trying to confirm something.

I was chatting with a friend of mine who has a stripped AR10 lower, and he lives out of state. My understanding is that the lower is regulated like a long gun - I wouldn't have to wait 7 days, but if he wanted to sell it to me, I'd still have to have it shipped and transferred through an FFL like any long gun. That is my understanding of it anyway - is that correct?

I'm thinking that it probably wouldn't be worth it, and that by the time I paid the FFL transfer fees, it would add enough to the price to not make it worth it.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    So not to beat a dead horse, but I'm trying to confirm something.

I was chatting with a friend of mine who has a stripped AR10 lower, and he lives out of state. My understanding is that the lower is regulated like a long gun - I wouldn't have to wait 7 days, but if he wanted to sell it to me, I'd still have to have it shipped and transferred through an FFL like any long gun. That is my understanding of it anyway - is that correct?

I'm thinking that it probably wouldn't be worth it, and that by the time I paid the FFL transfer fees, it would add enough to the price to not make it worth it.

That is correct. ATF considers stripped lowers to be firearms, so they need to be transferred through an FFL for interstate transactions. I have purchased stripped LR-308/AR-10 lowers in MD, and the transactions were treated by the FFL as a long gun transfer, not a regulated transfer. AR-15 lowers get treated as a handgun (i.e. regulated) transfer in MD because they are commonly built out as pistols.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    That is correct. ATF considers stripped lowers to be firearms, so they need to be transferred through an FFL for interstate transactions. I have purchased stripped LR-308/AR-10 lowers in MD, and the transactions were treated by the FFL as a long gun transfer, not a regulated transfer. AR-15 lowers get treated as a handgun (i.e. regulated) transfer in MD because they are commonly built out as pistols.
    That's how I took it. If he were a Marylander, it would be a cash person-to-person private sale, but because he's out of state, it has to go through an FFL, and that's more money than it's worth for a stripped lower.

I'll probably just build one from an 80 and call it a day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom