Should I drink the Nickel Boron kool aid?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    I'm deciding on a BCG to complete a PSA upper. I've been looking around the internets and reading reviews about the NiB BCGs. All I could glean from my search was that it's easier to clean and will run a lot less "wet" than a phosphate BCG. Is it worth the cost?

Mind you it will be a range gun. I will probably never let it run "dry". I have lube in the range bag all the time. As far as cleaning time goes, how much time is saved over a NiB BCG?

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    If you are going for a white glove cleaning then it will probably save 5-10 minutes. If you are cleaning it the way a BCG should be cleaned then it won't save you any time.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

CronusTRD

Creeper
    Mar 1, 2007
    If you have a frequent shooter, sure. If the rifle is more of a safe queen, then don't bother.

For a PSA upper, I'd stick with a standard BCG.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Gimmick, in my opinion. Doesn't hurt but doesn't do much either. It's much more important to get a well-made carrier with a properly staked key and shot-peened and truly MP tested bolt. I would spend a few bucks extra for the cool coloring on the NiB though. :)

<Certified Colt Armorer

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    IF you have two bolts. BOTH MP tested, shot peened, and properly staked gas keys and one is NiB. Go for the NiB. If it's between a quality standard bolt and a no name NiB bolt then go standard.
    Now is NiB hype? No it's not. Running a gun I built with Pmags and Federal ammo. The NiB made it to 738 rounds without malfunction with no lube. This was after a standard bolt made it to 436 rounds. The upper was dipped in brake clean and white glove cleaned between tests.

Pretoria78

URX Fan
    Mar 30, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    I've got a Fail Zero BCG in a BCM upper. In retrospect, I could have spent the extra $100 on ammo or training. It's nice, but doesn't really offer much of an advantage for me, since I apply generous amounts of lube to my AR's.

Go with a standard BCG from a reputable manufacturer (DD, BCM, etc), lube it and drive on.

4095fanatic

Paramagic
    Dec 3, 2010
    I got a NiB... shot 200 rounds through it with no lube, worked fine, no problems (I don't plan on doing that on a regular basis, but I wanted to see out of the box how it would do). Very easy to clean. I'll need to put more rounds downrange with it before I'd say I'd trust my life with it, but so far it's looking like it's worth spending the extra $ on.

Smokey45

May 29, 2010
    Parkville, MD
    Direct impingement is going the way of the dinosaur, as evident by the Army adopting the 416, the Marine Corp adopting the M27. There is a reason everyone who built their own weapon didn't copy the DI system. That being said countless numbers of manufacturers are incorporating either Nickel Boron of TiN, either one just makes the gun last longer with less work. If I could have spared the extra $120 I would have just gone gas piston.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Direct impingement is going the way of the dinosaur, as evident by the Army adopting the 416, the Marine Corp adopting the M27. There is a reason everyone who built their own weapon didn't copy the DI system. That being said countless numbers of manufacturers are incorporating either Nickel Boron of TiN, either one just makes the gun last longer with less work. If I could have spared the extra $120 I would have just gone gas piston.

Thats actually a shame. I started as a piston fan and have drifted to a DI fan after shooting a lot of guns in different platforms. With a VERY small amount of maintenance (cleaning and dipping your finger in motor oil) DI is an awesome platform.

As for NiBo, if I was building a gun to go to the Sahara and fight for 10 years without lube sure. Have I bought some NiBo parts for the cool factor, sure. Is it needed or worth significant extra money. Not really.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011

Care to cite some credible sources for that, preferably not an article that's over 4 years old as well. :)

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    meh, it's better to have it than not to. Is it worth it?

that is for you to decide.

You DO still need to lube it, but maybe a little less. The metal feels like steel that has been conditioned with PTFE or Ballistol, and there is a reason for that- they almost always use PTFE in the electroless nickel application juice so it's plated right into the metal. It's easy to clean, about as easy as Hard Chrome in my experience, maybe very slightly easier than Nitrided BCGs.

Frankly, I would go with the latter. After not being impressed by my NiB BCGs I tried the Nitrided ones. AIM surplus has one that's fantastic, the things just don't seem to wear. They are nearly as slick as the NiB with a slight tendency to feel a little bit more 'squeaky'. A little bit of lube goes a LONG way on these, and as I've stated the only place I've seen any wear is a tiny bit where it interfaces with the hammer and one side of the camming surface that interfaces with the bolt retaining pin, and this is not metal that is in the white, but just ever so slightly lighter in color than the lustrous black of the rest of the Bolt and BCG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom