Range Etiquette, What would you do in this situation?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JHE1956

Apr 16, 2013
    Annapolis
    I was shooting at On Target on Monday. The guy using the next lane over to the left was shooting a 1911. As he shot, his spent brass was coming over the partition and hitting me in the head. Being a basically non-confrontational guy, I tried to shrug it off at first, on the hope that he would finish up in a few minutes and move on. No such luck -- he had more time and ammo than I did. I finally wound up putting up with it by standing against the partition and reloading mags while he was shooting, and then shooting while he was reloading.

Of course I have been hit by the occasional spent brass before -- that is just part of the game. In this case it was every single round the guy was firing and probably could have been avoided if he adjusted his shooting position by a few inches (so that his brass would hit the partition rather than flying over it). Again, though, being non-confrontational, I didn't ask the guy to adjust.

So what do you think? Should I have asked the guy to give me a break, or just put up with it?

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    I'm sure if you would have kindly asked, he may have adjusted. How could he have known?

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I have asked folks before to back up a bit. No big deal. Most folks are cool about it.

dungslinger

Jan 31, 2013
    The park
    If it was me I would prefer to know. I do check to see where my brass is hitting after the first shot or so. I see it as i don't want to get hit by your hot brass so I think the golden rule applies.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    I was there shooting Tokarev. I adjusted my shooting position on almost every shot, but gave up after watching casing after casing fly over the partition. I tried stepping back, left, right doing the Tokarev shuffle. I put the Tokarev away after 13 rounds. If those were Tokarev cases, my sincere apologies - I was aware of the flying brass, attempted to adjust, and finally put it away. I will have to find another range for my brass throwers.

I would want to know if my brass was causing troubles, too. Afterall, we all pay to have a relatively distraction-free place to practice.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Oh, and as safety note, hot brass might cause a flinch with YOUR shot going across lanes or at the ceiling. A German cop shot himself in the @ss when a hot casing hit his neck and he instinctly threw his hand back. The muzzle pointed down and I guess he's still trying to live it down.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Typically I would say, hot brass and loud noise are part of shooting; but... If you search you'll find this exact issue has come up before, also at OnTarget. Your signature indicates you are not a novice; so I'm thinking there must be something wrong with the range design. What lane were you in and are all the partitions identical? We're most of the lanes having the same issue? Probably would inform the owner.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    1. Ask if he can shift position.

2. Always wear a hat when shooting. (It's how I was taught and I feel strange without one.)

wt71

Sep 5, 2013
    Carroll County
    So what do you think? Should I have asked the guy to give me a break, or just put up with it?

Wear one of these and then collect all the brass and put it in your range bag!

Attachments

• hel.jpg
      hel.jpg
      5 KB · Views: 623

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Most of my indoor shooting has been at Continental. I'd ask them if they could slide over a few steps and that would solve 99% of the problems. One time, one clown told me to go screw myself. He had a 9mm and was very carefully practicing bullseye shooting at about 5 yards with it. I had been shooting my 10/22. I switched to my .44 and my Mossy 500. He apparently found me distracting after that and left shortly afterward.

So, bring a shotgun.

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    You're going to get a lot of that at On Target. It's just how the partitions are built. I even get an occasional brass shower at Freestate, but not to the extent at On Target.

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    Most of my indoor shooting has been at Continental. I'd ask them if they could slide over a few steps and that would solve 99% of the problems. One time, one clown told me to go screw myself. He had a 9mm and was very carefully practicing bullseye shooting at about 5 yards with it. I had been shooting my 10/22. I switched to my .44 and my Mossy 500. He apparently found me distracting after that and left shortly afterward.

So, bring a shotgun.

Or an AR!

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD

So, bring a shotgun.

Bad karma has a way of self correcting. Hopefully he'll be more receptive to other shooters' request in the future...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom