• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Slight thread derail but for those of you who pocket carry a .380 where do you carry your other pocket gear like keys, wallet, knives, etc...?

About 90% of the time I'm wearing jeans with a skinny wallet in the front left (used to carry it left rear and it had a tendency to turn into the 3" George Costanza wallet) and my keys in the front right, knife in the rear right and usually a small flashlight in rear left. I tried pocket carry with a Colt Mustang but A) hated my keys riding in the front left with my wallet and B) the draw was slower than on the hip.

And most of these pocket pistols are at best "bad breath" distance accurate while the 365 doesn't realize how tiny it is and shoots like it's bigger brothers.

In jeans/shorts with a belt, I'll carry AIWB, the P365 most of the time, but sometimes the CW380, especially if i just want minimal bulk. The P365 isn't all that bulky, but can barely feel the CW380 at all being .75" and in a thin kydex holster. In gym shorts I have a similar AIWB holster, but with a Ulticlip, and that holster is .60 kydex, so as thin as possible. Either way, it frees up pockets. When I do pocket carry it, I have a minimalist holster that works really well, carry in the RF pocket. Keys on a carabiner clipped on a belt loop, and tucked in the RR pocket, folding knife in the LR pocket, minimalist card wallet in my LF or 5th zipper pocket, and phone in the LF pocket. While you can pocket carry in jeans, there really is no point as AIWB frees up pocket space, and is much more accessible, I pocket carry in cargo shorts or gym shorts only.

As far as accuracy and ease of shooting goes, my CW380 will surprise most people. It's smaller than an LCP(used to own one) has FAR more mild recoil, better trigger, and while relatively low profile, the sights are good, and quick to line up. Only have 6+1, but I can ring steel plates on a handgun range quick enough, and not all that slow compared to my small 9s. The only real issue is reliability, or more accurately ammo sensitivity, being so small, and with a steep, offset feed ramp, and tight chamber, it will jam up with some ammo, but most FMJ, V-crown, and any Hornady HP runs 100%.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I didn't take much note of the prevelance of the small locked breech 380's since I am not really big into the compacts and smaller guns, John from MD (responding to post #5). I stand corrected, thank you.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    And most of these pocket pistols are at best "bad breath" distance accurate while the 365 doesn't realize how tiny it is and shoots like it's bigger brothers.
    I have to qualify with my G43 at the same distances as my G19. I have confidence if I need to deploy it... but I pray I never need to.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    I have to qualify with my G43 at the same distances as my G19. I have confidence if I need to deploy it... but I pray I never need to.

do you think a G43 compliments a G19? How about 43X?

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    I was getting used to calling them "The alphabet People" They get offended no matter what ya'll say.

Hecktor Peabody

Boris Badinov
    Aug 22, 2018
    Southeastern PA
    Solid copper, barrier blind, monolithic projectiles like those offered by Lehigh and Underwood make the .380 a viable choice for defensive carry. Ballistically comparable and often better in many ways than a large number of the preferred defensive options from 9mm to .357mag.

Ilexopaca

Mar 4, 2012
    I'm not surprised at the popularity of the 380 - and yes the increased pricing. It's always been a popular caliber in Europe.

Years ago, I asked my LE brother which caliber he carried for his off-duty weapon (he was required to carry an off-duty gun in his jurisdiction). Back then in 1994, his choice was a double stacked 380 Sig, ankle holstered. When pressed he explained that if he ever had to draw it would likely be close quarters and he would empty the mag into whatever the threat was. Turns out, allot of LE carry 380 off-duty. Not long after I picked up a well used 1984 Beretta Cheetah 380 (13+1). So glad I did - it is such a great shooter, great ergos, eats anything, and I've NEVER had a single malfunction. It's super safe with a great safety, trigger disabled with mag out, and it can be carried safety-off, decocked. I love my 18+1 CZ SP01 9mm but the 380 gets just as much range time.

The one odd thing about my Beretta is that is has "snow-man" sights - a half-circle rear sight with a dot front sight. It took me a while to figure out the sight picture that works for me. However, I'd love to know what the sight picture is "supposed" to be. Amazingly, I can't find anything on the internet about it. Perhaps I should start a thread here, but if anyone knows - I'd love to find out!

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    .380 vs 9mm always makes me think of the song verse "anything you can do, I can do better. No you can't! Yes I can!"

I see the point. Heck, I love me my Cz50 in .32acp. which is even lower powered, but .380 just isn't nearly as performant as 9x19. However, it has its place is sub-compact or softer shooting compact or full sized pistols. Though I can't think of a full sized .380 pistol off the top of my head.

Now, 9mm Mak...perhaps better than 9x19? Fight me :-)

PS I don't actually think 9mm Makarov is better than 9x19, but I do think it is better than .380 by a fair amount. Only a bit more energy, but it has a little extra diameter to it, which is nice. And is still softer shooting than 9x19. A few nice sub compact handguns that chamber it also. though I am not aware of any sub compact double stack pistols or polymer framed micro pistols that chamber it. But a P64 isn't a terrible little subcompact. A Cz82 is a really nice compact pistol (does it count as a compact? IIRC, it is somewhat smaller dimensions than a G19) and it is a double stack with 12+1. A .365 diameter bullet isn't exactly leaps and bounds larger than a .355 diameter bullet that .380 or 9mm use, but 3% wider is 3% wider. I would absolutely carry a P64 or Cz82 if it came down to it. A few manufacturers make effective JHP bullets in 9mm makarov

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    9mm vs .380 , in total overall sales ? .380 ! There are a metric crap ton of ( Raven descended ) cheap pistols sold . The true context . is not that they are displacing " normal " 9x19, rather the flood of inexpensive .380s have taken over the market share formerly held by the decades long all time most popular cal gun sold ..... the .25acp .

As far as small gun accuracy , for me, the limiting factor with micro pistols is physical size, as in with my XXXL hands they are simply too small for any kind of grasp . An inch of air space between the backstrap and my hand , and only 3/4 of one finger on the grip .

That said, with .25acp Bauer ( exact clone of Baby Browning in stainless , I could keep a magazine in the chest area of a B-27 @ 25yds , from 2 hand braced . Same setup , an AMT .380 Backup kept in head area . ( But it was Painful to shoot , and rapid fire contol was lousy .)

Snubnose .38 are capable of great accuracy , however , you have to be on top of your game with your fundimentals . The other thing I learned from long observation , for most semi- competent shooters, their groups ( patterns ) with a small frame snub will be twice the size as they shoot with medium frame 4in .

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    9mm vs .380 , in total overall sales ? .380 ! There are a metric crap ton of ( Raven descended ) cheap pistols sold . The true context . is not that they are displacing " normal " 9x19, rather the flood of inexpensive .380s have taken over the market share formerly held by the decades long all time most popular cal gun sold ..... the .25acp .

As far as small gun accuracy , for me, the limiting factor with micro pistols is physical size, as in with my XXXL hands they are simply too small for any kind of grasp . An inch of air space between the backstrap and my hand , and only 3/4 of one finger on the grip .

That said, with .25acp Bauer ( exact clone of Baby Browning in stainless , I could keep a magazine in the chest area of a B-27 @ 25yds , from 2 hand braced . Same setup , an AMT .380 Backup kept in head area . ( But it was Painful to shoot , and rapid fire contol was lousy .)

Snubnose .38 are capable of great accuracy , however , you have to be on top of your game with your fundimentals . The other thing I learned from long observation , for most semi- competent shooters, their groups ( patterns ) with a small frame snub will be twice the size as they shoot with medium frame 4in .

IMHO, that’s my limited experience with them. About as small as I’d go is a Cz50 or P64 sized handgun. Too lazy to go look up the closest equivalent. If I am careful either one I can punch out coffee can groups at 12yds and keep them all on target at 25 easy. The Cz50 if I am being very careful with it’s actually a lot better than that, but very careful isn’t really how I’d be shooting it in a defensive situation (I can get coffee can groups at 25 being very careful, it’s actually my second most accurate handgun behind my 6” Colt OP).

Fortunately I am big enough other than pocket carry I could get away with carrying something G19 sized if I was allowed by the powers that be to do such a thing.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Probably a really great gun too. I already have the 43 thou. In thinking about a magguts extension.

Magguts +1 works very well in all four of my G42 mags. :thumbsup:
    I've never had any issue with their product.

W2D

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2015
    Escaped MD for FL
    I’m leaning towards heavier frames with light loads for encouraging more practice with the family. Eventually would introduce heavier loads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Ran across this yesterday. It questions .380 versus 9mm for small carry pistol. The question being, .380, which is designed for short barrels, versus 9mm, which is normally for longer barrels. Also, will 9mm expand out of a 3" barrel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDAMXTRB-Zw

Bottom line, even with "normal" 9mm ammo, the 9mm is higher velocity with a heavier bullet. With 9mm ammo designed for short barrels, it can be double the energy of .380.

And yes, 9mm bullets expand out of a 3" barrel.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    My interest in .380 can be best summed up by Major Boothroyd aka "Q".

"7.65mm, with a delivery like a brick through a plate-glass window"

If I want a small gun, I'll stick with a J-Frame or SP101

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom