• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Screwtop.243

Ouch...that thing kicks
    Jul 7, 2011
    People's republic of MD
    Had a good range session today with my new Wby. Mark V (Altitude) in 6.5 crdm. I had been trying to develop a load with Hornady 123 grain SST's but after 3 charge ladders (5 shot groups) and 60 rounds, could not seem to get it under 1.5 MOA. I decided to stick with RL-15, but switched over to a 130 grain Accubond, and it seems to have done the trick. I did 3-shot groups to expedite the process a bit (hate those cold range sessions!) but had several groups at .50 MOA or smaller. I had a bit better handle on the "cartridge base to ogive" (CBTO) measurement with the Accubond than I did with the SST, allowing me to seat the Accubond more precisely. Anyway, this is a 22" barrel and my goal is to have a good, light-weight deer slayer out to 150-200 yards, so I think this rifle will fit the bill. I'll go with the 36.8 grain RL-15 load for now. I haven't got a chrono on it yet, but I'm guessing it's moving around 2,600 fps. It should suffice for a late season crop damage load, but I'll experiment a little more with the 37.1 grain load next fall. Now, my only problem is that 130 grain Accubonds are seasonally backordered!!:mad54:

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
      thumbnail.jpg
      18.5 KB · Views: 217
    • thumbnail65.jpg
      thumbnail65.jpg
      23.9 KB · Views: 218

Mike3888

Mike3888
    Feb 21, 2013
    Dundalk, Md-Mifflin,Pa
    Looking good screwtop. I've never had any luck with sst bullets in anything. I've shot accubonds also. And they are scary accurate but they are hit or miss locating them since they are seasonal runs. My go to bullet in creedmoor is the Sierra 130 grain with reloader 17. Recently bought some Sierra 130 game changers to try. I think your velocity with that load is right on track.

Screwtop.243

Ouch...that thing kicks
    Jul 7, 2011
    People's republic of MD
    Looking good screwtop. I've never had any luck with sst bullets in anything. I've shot accubonds also. And they are scary accurate but they are hit or miss locating them since they are seasonal runs. My go to bullet in creedmoor is the Sierra 130 grain with reloader 17. Recently bought some Sierra 130 game changers to try. I think your velocity with that load is right on track.

I run the 123 grain SST in my 6.5 X 47L and it shoots lights out, but I've got 4" more bore in that rifle, so maybe that's the difference? The 130 Accubond is also a good performer in my 6.5-284. I'm stocking up on them when they become available, that's for sure!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom