• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    My work is seeking an experienced mechanical designer. We design and build large maritime mining equipment in Baltimore City. Almost exclusively use Solidworks.

Company isn't perfect but its a great opportunity to get exposure to an active and busy machine/fabrication/assembly shop working on some big (occasionally really massive) equipment. We're a small department but dedicated and we have fun.

I'm not a decision maker but I thought I'd throw a feeler out here.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    If the government shutdown keeps up, I may be looking. Don't have solidworks experience, but understand CAD concepts and basic solids mechanics.

Q

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I should say they're probably not going to want to teach a greenhorn with Solidworks. Sure we need to instruct on job and company specific practices but we've had a lot of bad experiences with people who they've hired and thought they would just teach from nothing.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I'm not interested, but it is related to dredging equipment? If so, I saw an episode on TV about you guys. That's some massive stuff you work on.

Yes that was us. That monster was an exception though. Most of our stuff is smaller. Still big, smallest stock unit is like 35 ton with a 12" pump.

jkeys

Jan 30, 2013
    Yes that was us. That monster was an exception though. Most of our stuff is smaller. Still big, smallest stock unit is like 35 ton with a 12" pump.

Very cool. Good luck finding people, it's getting tougher to find people coming out of school who know how to design for traditional manufacturing processes.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Very cool. Good luck finding people, it's getting tougher to find people coming out of school who know how to design for traditional manufacturing processes.

We have a tough time finding engineers and designers who are self starters. We want to outline requirements and then not hold hands. Lots of people want to be spoon fed

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom