• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    I understand issues with customers and how they're handled matters the most. But, when an employee, blows off a serious issue, refuses to correct it, and gets ticked because the customer whose finger will be on the trigger refuses to continue with the unsafe act, the community needs to know about that.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Took this frame from a Live PD episode a few weeks back, the guy with the revolver is the Deputy Chief.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Many years ago I remember being on the range on the line qualifying and seeing a captain scratch his head. With his revolver.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    I love Delmarva dont get me wrong its my go to range they usually run a tight ship. It was just particularly bad that day with people being unsafe. I go all the way there because I have experienced way worse at all the local indoor ranges
    It's my go-to range too, a bit of a drive but compared to MSAR, On Target, NRA range, Blue Ridge, Sharpshooters, Gilbert's & Select Fire (all for varying reasons) I chose Delmarva as my favorite...

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    It amazes me how far people are traveling to shoot there. Is it that difficult to find a place to shoot outdoors on the western shore or is it just because people like to go there? For pistol shooting it seems like a lot of that could occur out in the counties? Or do ordinances come into play even in the outlying metro areas that make it a problem?

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    It amazes me how far people are traveling to shoot there. Is it that difficult to find a place to shoot outdoors on the western shore or is it just because people like to go there? For pistol shooting it seems like a lot of that could occur out in the counties? Or do ordinances come into play even in the outlying metro areas that make it a problem?

I'm one of those people, I love it there. Its that damn traffic on 50 i dont like...

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017

Planning on making my first trip there later this year with a couple friends. As far as I can determine there's nothing like it anywhere closer. We're just outside DC in moco about 2 hours away

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I hate indoor ranges. I am really happy I belong to Baltimore County Game and Fish. Almost never anyone there, and when there is, I have never run into anyone who was unsafe. I've had bad experiences at Horst and McCann and Elk Neck. Not the facility, but the people there.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I like to go occasionally and check out the used gun racks and talk to Dallas about surplus rifles. Every so often Ill shoot if its not busy or go to the Chicone turkey shoot in the back by the marsh. The only thing that I don't like is there is no place for standing for the 300 yd gong targets without a bench in the way but that can still be done early when its not busy.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

They are the only public range for a long way. Yes there are a few indoor ranges, but for outdoor ranges from dead center Maryland, there is Cresap open sundays for 4 hours that have 50 and 100yd rifle targets. Hap Baker only had a few benches and has 25, 50, 100 and 200 yard targets and is open Wednesday-Sunday and most of the time is packed. On weekends get there an hour before they open or resign yourself to waiting 2+ hours for an open bench.

I want to say there is something around Pasadena?

Elsewise Delmarva is the closest public range with real rifle benches. From me in western Howard county it is about an hour and fifteen minute drive. Hap and Cresap are both about 30 minutes away.

AGC is 10 minutes from me, but technically not a public range. IWLA Damascus and Mount Airy are 20-30 from me. Also not public.

Delmarva also has 300yds and 500 as options.

Yeah I need to get off my butt and join IWLA or AGC (probably IWLA), but it'll still remain none of those have sporting clays and >200yd rifle ranges (will mount airy does, but I doubt I could join there).

Delmarva just makes a nice day trip. Less than 3hrs round trip and I can pack up a shotgun and a few rifles and make a whole day of it. Planning to get some of my friends together to head out some Saturday or Sunday this summer for the day.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Right behind the Wa Wa on Lake Waterford and Mountain road used to be a range that I went to years ago. I forget the name of the club. Glen field or meadow or something. I seen the sign up a still a few months ago and was surprised to still see it there.

Feb 28, 2013

Closest outdoor range to me is Elk Neck, but they don't even allow metal target STANDS. :sad20:

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011

I guess I'm rare. I have two friends with big farms we shoot on, plus I'm a member of a club in Pennsylvania that's a real short drive for me.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    We can get 800 on the lane at my neighbors farm and 300+ on one of my leases now that the straw is cut plus other small patches we shoot at. You don't have to go far to see how good you have it. Even with that I still like to go to Zekes just to check it out every once in a while. One day soon it will all be over with the influx of people moving here. I know a guy that leased the farm where the Arundel Mills mall is now and there was a nice homespun range back in there that we used to shoot at years ago. Glen Brook is the range at Mountain and Waterford road now that I remember it.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I was there 2 weeks ago and nothing unsafe whatsoever. Had a great time and felt very safe with my fellow shooters. Its definitely a good idea to politely correct anyone doing something unsafe. They may be new to shooting.

Were you there when I was shooting the PSL and the M1 Carbine?

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    I like Delmarva, but I have seen some really unsafe stuff there over the years. I have been down range when people have started firing. I saw a guy shoot his friend by accident because they thought it was a great idea to shoot at steel targets on the handgun range standing 5 feet from the steel and within a few feet of one another. Its still my go too range, but that doesnt mean its safe.

sleev-les

Gata Needs His Gat
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD

I like it since there is no membership required, I've never had to wait and I can shoot out to 500 yards. I'd like to join Peacemaker and shoot the 1000y, but they have a waiting list. It's worth the ride (only a little over an hour from me though).

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Right behind the Wa Wa on Lake Waterford and Mountain road used to be a range that I went to years ago. I forget the name of the club. Glen field or meadow or something. I seen the sign up a still a few months ago and was surprised to still see it there.
    Glenbrook is a private club. Wife's friend is a member there. He sponsored our Scout troop to shoot there for merit badge. All shooting out of modified shipping containers for noise abatement.

But, be prepared to go on a killing spree to get a membership. Pretty much only way a membership opens up is if someone dies.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    I like it since there is no membership required, I've never had to wait and I can shoot out to 500 yards. I'd like to join Peacemaker and shoot the 1000y, but they have a waiting list. It's worth the ride (only a little over an hour from me though).

It's 3 hours for me to go to Delmarva and 3 and a half hours for me to get to Peacemaker. I got my membership to Peacemaker last year. Considering that every time I go to Delmarva, I shoot at the 500 yard range, it was only about 3 trips to Peacemaker and the membership would pay for itself. The plus side is, it's twice the distance and I haven't had anyone go hot while I was down range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom