• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Whiskey

Sep 28, 2012
    Crownsville, MD
    Annapolis Defense & Security is working to hold a NAEMT tactical combat casualty care (TCCC) or Law Enforcement/First Responder Tactical Casualty Care (LEFRTCC) course around once a month. We just held a course in SW Balto a couple of weeks ago. We're looking at late January for the next course. I'll start a thread when we settle on a date. I'll see what kind of equipment arrangements I can make. I've talked with Dark Angel once before. Good outfit.

DontTreadOnMe

Dec 10, 2016
    They are well thought out kits. Easy to use if you have to. I take mine everywhere, range, hunting and vacation. Their classes are bit pricey but you do get a DARK Med kit with the class.

I will send an email to them and ask about the possibility of them hosting a class out here. I'll post back what I hear.

If anyone is interested let me know so I can have a rough estimate of how many people would want to attend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interested. Also glad to know the kit comes with the class.

First of all, kudos to you for doing CPR. I frequently use the line "Can't make dead deader." Taking action is incredibly important and valuable.

With that said, I would implore you--and everyone else in this thread--to take it easy on the people who freeze. You can be a good person, and even reliable in certain types of crises, and still wind up being a deer in the headlights in an emergency medical incident. Ask any paramedic if he or she has ever choked up on a call; if that person says no, s/he is either inexperienced or lying to you. I've done it myself, though I won't share the story in this forum, and so too have all of the people I'd let work on my family.

As a Maryland EMT trained to the NR standard curriculum, two modules of your nine-module class focused on trauma, and most of that hands-on time focused on applying various splints appropriate to the civilian population and practice environment in which you are expected to serve. That which the military requires is... somewhat more focused.

Also, Maryland only went to National Registry for EMTs about 18 months ago, so you're a fairly new EMT. Given that, and the learning law of primacy (that which is learned first is retained best), I'm not surprised you found your military trauma training superior.

Good luck defending doing a needle decompression on a civilian in a civilian context under Good Samaritan laws. I've been trained to do it and it's in my scope of practice in Maryland, and I'd still think twice before doing it if I was at a range outside the state.

The rest of your comments, I'll leave in Blaster229's capable hands.
    Appreciate the kudos.

There was only one person that bothered me because he acts all tough and nothing bothers him and can handle everything, so I somewhat expected him to freeze, but I was also disappointed because the decedent was his friend.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

F2S

Oct 24, 2013
    All,

I received a response from the good folks over at Dark Angel. As previously discussed they don't have anything scheduled in our area for 2017 but we can host a class. Since the class will be held outside of Colorado they require a minimum of 12 paying students. Cost of the class is $400, and students have the opportunity to purchase a base DARK Kit for $145 (20% off). I apologize, I thought that they gave the Kit at no charge to students (maybe this changed). The host receives a free DARK kit and attends the class at no charge, if I end up being the host, I will just do a giveaway for the Kit and will figure something out to balance the cost. We would just have to find a facility to hold the class at (they do not pay for the cost of a facility rental). They have some requirements for a facility, restroom, large enough for students and white wall, screen or projector. Everything must be set up no later than 120 days out from the class. To gauge interest, send me a PM if your interested and if you know of any possible facilities to use. I'm thinking maybe fall 2017 maybe late summer.

F2S

Oct 24, 2013
    All,

I received a response from the good folks over at Dark Angel. As previously discussed they don't have anything scheduled in our area for 2017 but we can host a class. Since the class will be held outside of Colorado they require a minimum of 12 paying students. Cost of the class is $400, and students have the opportunity to purchase a base DARK Kit for $145 (20% off). I apologize, I thought that they gave the Kit at no charge to students (maybe this changed). The host receives a free DARK kit and attends the class at no charge, if I end up being the host, I will just do a giveaway for the Kit and will figure something out to balance the cost. We would just have to find a facility to hold the class at (they do not pay for the cost of a facility rental). They have some requirements for a facility, restroom, large enough for students and white wall, screen or projector. Everything must be set up no later than 120 days out from the class. To gauge interest, send me a PM if your interested and if you know of any possible facilities to use. I'm thinking maybe fall 2017 maybe late summer.

Forgot to mention that they have a maximum of 20 students per class. If we can find a facility to use at no charge, that would be probably best to keep cost down. Again if I host, and we have to pay for facility I will put that toward facility if we have to pay.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    All,

That's definitely a new policy (or new-ish) on the kits. Mine was included as part of the $400 or $450 cost of the course.

F2S

Oct 24, 2013
    Unfortunately that's a lot of people's mindset. If you think about the amount of money you have invested into firearms, $400 for med training is nothing. Especially when your chances of using that med training is higher than using your gun in a real life situation. At least a few people got a recommendation for good medical gear.

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    When I drove charter buses a few years ago their were a couple of times that I had to use my skills when I came upon accidents in the middle of no where or my passengers had done a number on themselves. Of course is always happened when the nearest medical EMS was 15 to 20 minutes away as well. When ever I went on a multi day trip my med kits went with me alsol. I also made sure I had my Stethoscope and BP Cuff with me as well. I totally agree if you have a chance to get some training please take it. It is worth the $$$ if you are able to help a person and mabe save their life as well. I am sooo very glad I took a course, plus what I learned in the army plus when you have a mom who is an RN you learn alot as well.

Unfortunately that's a lot of people's mindset. If you think about the amount of money you have invested into firearms, $400 for med training is nothing. Especially when your chances of using that med training is higher than using your gun in a real life situation. At least a few people got a recommendation for good medical gear.

I've invested enough in my guns that I feel I should know what to do if something goes wrong. If $400 gets me significantly more knowledge than I already have to potentially make the difference in saving someone's life, then it's all worth it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Tactics

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2010
    Happy to be Here
    You might be right. Most would rather buy six more guns than take a class.

This is my experience with MDS as well, but maybe I just love to take classes. CMCT offered a one day Tac Med class that was outstanding. There was talk of them doing another one. Cost was ~$200. It was my favorite class I've taken and I have used that knowledge every day since then.

That being said, if Dark Angel comes I have a free facility we could use in 20777.

DontTreadOnMe

Dec 10, 2016
    F2S, thank you for contacting Dark Angel. I'm interested.

On the other hand, perhaps we should consider Tac-Med instead. They're in Collegeville, PA, so they would have significantly lower travel expenses. This could be a lower cost option for a similar class.

F2S

Oct 24, 2013
    This is my experience with MDS as well, but maybe I just love to take classes. CMCT offered a one day Tac Med class that was outstanding. There was talk of them doing another one. Cost was ~$200. It was my favorite class I've taken and I have used that knowledge every day since then.

That being said, if Dark Angel comes I have a free facility we could use in 20777.

Thanks for the offer! I will keep you updated. As of now it's not looking promising to have Dark Angel come here, but maybe some more people will chime in.

F2S

Oct 24, 2013
    F2S, thank you for contacting Dark Angel. I'm interested.

On the other hand, perhaps we should consider Tac-Med instead. They're in Collegeville, PA, so they would have significantly lower travel expenses. This could be a lower cost option for a similar class.

I got your PM, thank you. I would be interested in Tac-Med as well. I will have to take a look at their schedule

Whiskey

Sep 28, 2012
    Crownsville, MD
    http://www.shop.annapolisdefense.com/Tactical-Combat-Casualty-Care-TEMS-TCCC.htm

The TCCC course is the military counterpart to the Prehospital Trauma Life Support Course. It is designed for military medics, corpsmen, and pararescuemen who are preparing to deploy in support of combat operations. Casualty care on the battlefield must be the best possible combination of good medicine and good small-unit tactics. The specifics of casualty care in the tactical setting will depend on the tactical situation, the injuries sustained by the casualty, the knowledge and skills of the first responder, and the medical equipment at hand.

In contrast to a hospital Emergency Department setting where the patient IS the mission, on the battlefield, care of casualties sustained is only PART of the mission. This course is ideal for non-medical personnel in Law Enforcement, Protective occupations, Security, Hunters, Recreational Shooters, and high risk professions requiring more than First Aid/CPR and EMT courses.

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    Just finished up the Dark Angel course. To start off, the $400 price tag may be a turn off for some. It's a personal decision to decide if it's worth it. I'm limited to what this area has to offer so it was worth the money to me and I feel I got my $400 worth.

It's a two day course covering trauma. The description on their website is accurate. This is beyond first aid and SABC. Day one is lecture and power point. To break it up, there's some show and tell thrown in with some hands on with med kit items. Each student is given a training tourniquet and the instructor will randomly call out a limb on you or you partner for the TQ to be applied. The material was interesting enough to me that I didn't find it dry or boring.

Day two was the "practical application" of what was learned on day one. This is what I found most valuable. All of my previous training through the military was death by power point and looking at training aids that were just passed around the class. With Dark Angel, there were ample training aids to actually practice with. We were able to not only apply TQs, but practice with several types available on the market. I found this beneficial to find out which TQ worked best for me. We practiced applying different pressure dressings, plugging wounds with hemostatic dressings, applying splints, and running various scenarios where we left the room and walked back in to figure out what was wrong and begin treatment.

It was a lot in two days but I felt it was worth it. It reinforced some things and taught me a few new things as well. The class was conducted in a professional manner as one would expect, yet was still relaxed enough for maximum participation.

I can't speak to any other course offered in the civilian world as this is my only experience, but I just wanted to provide some feedback since this thread is the most recent. If you have any questions about something specific, I'll be happy to try and answer them as best I can. And it's always cool to add another challenge coin to the collection. Especially one that you can only get by attending the course.

Attachments

• IMG_1662.jpg
      IMG_1662.jpg
      81.8 KB · Views: 122
    • IMG_1663.jpg
      IMG_1663.jpg
      76 KB · Views: 122

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    I've got that coin. Glad you liked the course.

$400 is a good price for a two day course when compared with two-day firearms classes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom