• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jibjab260

Jul 22, 2017
    The Mojo sight is on. I'm keeping it. I like the aperture sights system.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    The Mojo sight is on. I'm keeping it. I like the aperture sights system.

It's all about what works for you, so if you like it, run with it!

As for cleaning all the cosmo out, even the newspaper/hotbox trick (or car windshield, etc) doesn't get the really caked on stuff. That's why most guys who have cleaned more than a few milsurps over the years will tell you hot, boiling, soapy water is the way to go time and time again. If you think you got everything out, soak a cotton ball with acetone and cram it where you just cleaned. If you get a hard waxy residue as the result, get back to scrubbing. I thought I had my chamber and locking lug recesses cleaned about 4 separate times before I realized that nope, I needed to scrub even more. The polishing step some people suggest is accomplishing the same thing (removing the last of the dried on cosmo) but in a more destructive way.

Funny enough, this month's "American Rifleman" just showed up in my mailbox today and the secondary topic is "Troubleshooting Rifle Accuracy."

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    On mine I just did some reversible mods. I installed a shim kit with cork pad under the barrel. I also installed a M39 trigger set, which was the best mod. I would also check the crown.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Shoulda left it alone. Just sayin.....

There are reasons people spout off about these types of, "projects". The following is an example of why Yellowsled mentioned it. Feel free to do as you please, but know you could be throwing away thousands of dollars for the presence of an obscure stamp - that you have no care for.

I would ask you to read the thread through and hear what the guys are saying. You did come here to ask advice - and you got several opinions :D

If you post some pictures, there are several people on this forum that can let you know what you have.

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=143917

Jibjab260

Jul 22, 2017
    I am not ungrateful. I have thanked those for giving their opinion as I asked them to do. I can assure you this is no rare Cossack rifle. Nor did this rifle belong to a glorious Soviet sniper or Simo Hayha. This is a rifle I intend to keep cosmetically the same. The Mojo sights are removable. I'm keeping the old sights in case I need to change the rifle to its original configuration ( I plan to keep this rifle until I die). I'm simply looking to make small tweaks to make the rifle more shooter friendly. And for those that say all old things should not be cut up? By that logic, nobody should build a hot rod from 1930s and 40's car parts.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Have fun with it, that's what its for. All anyone is saying is the difference between bad smithing and not is knowing when to stop. Read Frank DeHass bolt action rifles earlier editions, he would cut up anything. If he didn't, he would never have gained any real first hand knowledge. Now if it was a pattern 13 ,276 trials rifle or an unmolested 1892 Krag I would probably say to stop.

Jibjab260

Jul 22, 2017
    I've researched quite a bit about pillar bedding. My question is will it create much change in accuracy out of the original stock. I've free floated the barrel and shimmed the rifle. Furthermore, at the front barrel band, I've installed some cork from Smith Sights.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I am not ungrateful. I have thanked those for giving their opinion as I asked them to do. I can assure you this is no rare Cossack rifle. Nor did this rifle belong to a glorious Soviet sniper or Simo Hayha. This is a rifle I intend to keep cosmetically the same. The Mojo sights are removable. I'm keeping the old sights in case I need to change the rifle to its original configuration ( I plan to keep this rifle until I die). I'm simply looking to make small tweaks to make the rifle more shooter friendly. And for those that say all old things should not be cut up? By that logic, nobody should build a hot rod from 1930s and 40's car parts.

From what you say here, you should be in good shape for getting reasonable accuracy improvements out of it with the ability to return it to original condition. Aside from doing your own reloads with .312 bullets after slugging it, I don't see anything else you can that will yield reasonable & high probability of successful payback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom